Author Topic: Lister ST2 startomatic generator in family company should we sell it?  (Read 3075 times)

MartimBotelho

• View Profile
Good morning,

Thank you very much for accepting me into this forum.

So I’m a 26 yo Engineer from Portugal I work at my family’s agriculture company that used to produce cereals (mostly maize), vegetables, and grapes in over 140 acres of land since the mid 60’s. Nowadays we only have around 20 acres of vineyards, and around 18 acres rented to produce industrial tomato. Anyways we have an old warehouse with agriculture equipment from different eras that we no longer use. While our local mechanic was servicing one of our old tractors (Fiat 766 from the 80’s if anyone is interested) he spotted this generator (plate number: 2103ST231-03) mounted on a trailer and offered to buy it trailer included. First he offered 1200€ (1035 £) and now 2000€ (1725£).

Now while the money would come in very handy in our process of modernizing the company and upgrading any number of equipment in our facilities, we also don’t want to do give away something that could be valuable, and I personally don’t want to (although it’s not up to me to decide) since the companies property and estate has been slowly eroding away and being sold off leaving it a shell of what it once was. I know these old machines are not as efficient as modern ones but they can be extremely reliable and durable and could potentially be useful down the road. Even if not they are incredibly beautiful machines (from what I see in youtube videos) and it pains me to see it go. I would love to have the knowledge to restore this equipment to its full glory. However we as a company have to be pragmatic and move forward and not get stuck in the past to survive.

Anyways sorry for the ramble, the company’s current manager has tasked me with learning a bit more about the generator to know if this might be a good deal for us or not, so he can present the offer to the administrator (my father).
So from the research that I’ve been doing, It seems to be an Lister ST2 startomatic generator build in 1982, with a Lister ST2 diesel motor (21hp?) coupled to an 8,5 KVA dynamo made by a Portuguese company “Frapil” and a semi-modern rectifier/control panel (with the wiring in good state) installed in 97 which means the generator ran at least into the 2000’s when the company still sowed maize. The generator group is installed on a trailer that (comparing to other offers online) should be worth at least 400€ (345 £).
I would love to get the generator started but I don’t know how to (it seems to have a starter battery missing) and I’m afraid to damage it.

With that said I was wondering if anyone here know a little bit more about this machine, how long are they build to run? Fuel consumption? Is it worth restoring? Could it still be useful today? or if we ever need a generator would be better off just buying a modern generator?

Would you consider 2000€ to be a fair offer for the lot? Should we ask for more? Should we keep it?
I know some of these questions are difficult to answer without knowing the full context of the company, but I would like to know what other people think. And if there is information or photographs that I can provide that would help please let me know.

Thank you very much for the attention, sorry for the long post.

Martim

snowman18

• View Profile
Re: Lister ST2 startomatic generator in family company should we sell it?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 04:36:37 PM »
If your mechanic is able to offer 2000€ for an old generator your over paying him.

IMO your mechanic is an honorable man his offer far exceeds any offer than i would have made, your company has written down this generator years ago.

Sell it to your mechanic, better yet give it to him as a Christmas bonus.

MartimBotelho

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 05:53:51 PM »
Forgot to add the images, here's an album:

https://imgur.com/a/X2wqabL

MartimBotelho

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 06:06:48 PM »
If your mechanic is able to offer 2000€ for an old generator your over paying him.

I mean... just because he's a mechanic doesn't mean he has to be poor or he can't save money. He could even see this as a business opportunity maybe restore it and sell it for higher, or just restore it as a hobby.

sirpedrosa

• 21NOV2019 - Finally I hear that sound... again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 07:50:01 PM »
Hi Martim

For 2000€ sell it immediately. And I mean really quik to avoid 2nd thoughts.

It's a very good business to you.

Cheers
VP
By order of firing up:
Bernard 18A - 1968 (mama's water pump - year of my birth)
Petter PAZ1 - Jun 1967, 3HP, sn 416xxxx
Petter PAZ1 - Nov 1979, 3HP, sn 425xxxx
Lister 12/2 - 12651227, the pearl!
Deutz MAH 914, 1952 - Zündfix in chamber and go (7Mai2023).

snowman18

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 09:39:46 PM »
I noticed that your generator is putting out three phase power and that

The electrical supply in Portugal is 220-230 Volts so electrical appliances that work in the UK can also be used in Portugal. However, the electrical socket differs so, if you are visiting temporarily and simply want to continue to use your appliance, then you need only to buy an adapter.

snowman18

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 09:52:18 PM »

I mean... just because he's a mechanic doesn't mean he has to be poor or he can't save money. He could even see this as a business opportunity maybe restore it and sell it for higher, or just restore it as a hobby.

With the offer your mechanic submitted it's clear to see he had a personal love affair with Lister, if you think the generator is worth more. Then I suggest you put it up for sale via auction or public tender.

Be sure to advise your mechanic of your actions as in my opinion he'll be the one driving up the bids.

MartimBotelho

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 09:27:35 AM »
Thank you all for the replies, I'll recommend we sell the generator on the condition that he let's me see it start up once he's restored it.  ;D

On the same line of thought, we also have two smaller lister motors attached to centrifugal water pumping mechanisms that was used to water the crops. Their plate numbers are: 1202SL||5 and 7977SR||7, they seem to also be air cooled diesel motors, although these are single piston. I'm not sure the mechanic's seen it but if he's passionate about lister motors he might like to see these.

Anyone know what these might be worth? I don't have pictures of them here but they're in a similar state of disuse as the generator.