Author Topic: carburetor 2  (Read 2727 times)

elckerlyc

• View Profile
carburetor 2
« on: November 08, 2019, 10:10:12 AM »
Can someone tell me if this carburetor is complete ?
Amal A 186 (?)
Can he work without a floating chamber ?
Three days ago he had run. Now no live.
See pictures.

thank you

cobbadog

• View Profile
Re: carburetor 2
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 11:42:41 AM »
I am not familiar with this engine but I have a few hit n miss engines that use a similar but not the same design fuel mixer, not a carby.
Mine draw fuel up via a copper fuel line with a check valve at the bottom to stop the fuel running back into the tank. With yours I am guessing that it is a gravity fed feul with the tank above the fuel mixer. Remove your fuel mixer, clean it thoroughly and take a lot of pictures as you strip it down so you have a reference as to how it goes back together. Some of these mixers are tricky to set up. The small nut on top of the mixer on some moves up and down but I don't know about yours. Some require metal gauze filters in parts of the mixer to stop flash back.
Do a
Google search for a workshop manual and this may also help you to understand proper starting proceedures and the sttings of the mixer to start and run. The large thumb screw on y mixer only requires about 3/4 of a turn uo from when it is bottomed out then youu need to work out how much choke.
Do you have good compression is another thing to let us know?
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 01:50:54 PM »
Hi Send a picture of to these chaps in England, they will be the one's to get you sorted.
Go me anew su for the mini. So give them a go.

http://amalcarb.co.uk/?___store=amal

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 09:29:50 AM »
+1 for Burlen, if they don't know I'd be very surprised.

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 10:36:58 AM »
Without a pic of the underside of the mixer it is hard to say if it is complete or not, but I think it may well be complete.

elckerlyc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 11:02:19 AM »
thank you.

here a picture of the downside.
You think it works without floating chamber ?

thank you

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2019, 10:24:19 AM »
Your fuel mixer looks complete to me. There is a circular ring screwed into place and something dark in the middle. To me it is a very typical type of fuel mixer, not carby, no float bowl. If a bowl was to be attached to that position it would have to be open to the rest of the carby and is what I base my opinion on it being a much simpler mixer.
Remove it, strip and clean it but take a picture at every stage to show you how it goes together. I feel that you may have a blockage, maybe the needle and seat or a jet or gallery. If you do take it apart show us the detailed pics so help can be offered.
The theory of a fuel mixer rather than carby is simplistic, you adjust the amount of fuel going into the engine by opening the big thumb screw rather than being netered by idle and main jets. With a tank fitted above your mixer there is no need for a bowl and float but should have a needle n seat.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2019, 10:33:57 AM »
Looking a bit closer that dark centre inside the ring underneath is the air intake and possibly should lift open on each intake stroke. Also looking at what you have posted so far is no fuel tank! Where is it? This might put a slightly different view on what you should have. Where does that fuel line go to? A fuel pump which would look like a cylinder maybe brass and run off a shaft or a cam? If this is the case you still have a mixer but now maybe not a needle n seat. Only time will tell.
As you are stuck at the moment it might be worthwhile asking on another site just to to get you the answers a bit quicker. I don't know where you are but 2 sites I also go to are either TOMM here in Australia or join Smokstak Down Under. This is a section in Smokstak in the USA which again is agood site as well. Many more members on the Aussie sites with Lister petrol engines and your replies will be received quicker.