Puppeteer

Author Topic: Onan 9 MDKAV  (Read 916 times)

Tanman

• View Profile
Onan 9 MDKAV
« on: November 02, 2019, 02:58:43 PM »
So I just unexpectedly won an online auction for an Onan 9kw MDKAV marine diesel genset. 1800rpm low hours 3 cylinder Kubota powered. However it needs a raw water supply to run, has anyone tried adapting something like this to stationary use? The inlet is only a 1Ē tube for the raw water intake this heat exchanges with a closed coolant system on the genset. Open to creative ideas and will post pictures once I go pick it up.
Yanmar L100-5KW set
Chinese 1115-8KW stamford
96 Suburban 6.5 turbo

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
Re: Onan 9 MDKAV
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 09:51:57 PM »

I have something similar and removed all the marine cooling and use a Honda radiator with a fan.
Works great. The radiator was purchased on Ebay for a few dollars. Aluminum racing part.

The exhaust manifold was replaced with one from a tractor that used the same engine.

When you have to buy the impeller for the raw water pump you will thank yourself.

Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 10:04:36 PM »

I don't recall what series it was but I know SOME of the onan Marine sets had a LOT of trouble.  Brother in law went through 3 of them.  Something comes loose internally and then everything gets Chewed up.  I'd google Onan marine generator problems and see if there is anything that comes up with what you have so you can do preventative maintence.  Was a few year back now but if memory serves it was sometning to do with brushes or internal AVR's coming loose and ends up the gen head is trashed.

I agree with the above, Just de marinise it.  Id you want to get some heat out the thing, the water cooled exhaust might be good for a co gen if the water isn't dumped back into the manifold itself.

I recently got a little Kubota engine ( 672?) and the thing purrs like a kitten.  I don't understand why DIY'ers and off gridders don't go for these things a lot more.  They will run serious hours, are quiet, smooth, very compact and just a nice engine.
Running it on about 80% Veg oil atm and it just doesn't' care. 

Very impressed with the one I have and I'm definitely on the lookout for another one.... or 3.  :0)

32 coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 02:48:20 PM »
This is before I installed the exhaust manifold but you get the idea.
You can see I also used the ST type gen head.  It's an early one with good windings and stable voltage.

Most marine units are "ditched"  because the gen head goes bad.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 02:54:59 PM by 32 coupe »
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 04:10:20 AM »

VERY nicely Set up!
Do you know what model the Kubota is?  Looks Bigger than mine, possibly a 902?

32 coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2019, 04:45:13 AM »
Thanks Glort,
That gen set has a Mitsubishi engine. I think a k3d. I have now install a custom fuel tank as well as gauges
and wiring. I'll try to post a pic tomorrow.
It has about 1000 hrs on it and I got it for nothing with a dead gen head and after checking the cost of a
rewind I decided to build this. I had the st head from another project.

I have a 2 cylinder that has a factory remote head with controls and gauges with only 50 hours but it too has
a bad gen head.  Been looking for a 5kw Stamford clone head for it.

So many projects and so little time.

Gary
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2019, 09:44:03 AM »

I am so wanting a decent gen head.  Thought I found one a couple of weeks ago but despite numerous messages and calls, I got no answer and then saw the thing was sold. I don't get some people.

Anyway, the gen head search Continues.
Might be easier to find a single bearing unit with an engine, Take the rod and cam out of it and drive the thing from the front with one of my diesels.

32 coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2019, 09:05:03 PM »
Still needs a little more paint work but runs fine. It's been a project for several years now.
No point in getting in a hurry!

« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 09:08:45 PM by 32 coupe »
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

Tanman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2019, 03:31:41 AM »
32 coupe, that is an awesome setup, Iíll post some pics of mine when I get it here. Glort , thanks for the tip Iíll start doing some digging see if I can find some common issues, would you mind asking your brother in law to see what his were and what happened?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 04:39:05 AM by Tanman »
Yanmar L100-5KW set
96 Suburban 6.5 turbo

Tanman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 03:15:38 AM »
Got it home today, have to check a few things and hook up some fuel to test it out!
Yanmar L100-5KW set
96 Suburban 6.5 turbo