Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lister AD1 not stopping on stop lever  (Read 2215 times)

Ianto36

• View Profile
Lister AD1 not stopping on stop lever
« on: October 29, 2019, 07:34:51 PM »
Hi All

Got the AD1 running after swapping over piston and cylinder from donor engine but once started it will not switch off by pushing lever from "run" to "stop" position, any ideas on what the problem could be?

Thanks
Ian

cobbadog

• View Profile
Re: Lister AD1 not stopping on stop lever
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 05:38:34 AM »
Sounds like the rack is stuck or something stopping it from returning far enough to cut the fuel. Does it move freely from run to stop and is it moving the full length?
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

Ianto36

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 03:00:04 PM »
Hi Cobbadog

Yes I’ve had the gear timing cover off and the rack has full movement from left to right?
It’s baffled me

Thanks for replying
Ian

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 05:29:20 AM »
On your rack is there any markings as to the stop position. It sounds as if the rack is not returning all the way to shut the fuel off. Do you think it has been taken apart at some stag and possibly assembled wrong?
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

Willw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 02:11:08 PM »
I once had an AC1 with the same complaint.
I removed the crankcase breather hose and fitting, lifted the flat rubber disc, and beneath that is a fitting with multiple holes. I screwed this out using a snap ring pliers inserted into the holes and turned.
Looking through the hole I could see the top of the arm that moves the rack, and as I moved the Stop/Run lever back and forth I could tell that the pivot rod for the arm was bent slightly in a way that prevented the rack from closing fully.
The pivot rod is quite soft metal, and I simply took a screwdriver and hammer and Carefully and Gently tapped the end of the rod in the direction that it needed to go and that solved the problem.
Daily driver '97 GMC W4 tipper on WVO/Kerosene mix.
6/1 clone standby generator.
Too many projects.

Ianto36

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2019, 08:04:39 PM »
I once had an AC1 with the same complaint.
I removed the crankcase breather hose and fitting, lifted the flat rubber disc, and beneath that is a fitting with multiple holes. I screwed this out using a snap ring pliers inserted into the holes and turned.
Looking through the hole I could see the top of the arm that moves the rack, and as I moved the Stop/Run lever back and forth I could tell that the pivot rod for the arm was bent slightly in a way that prevented the rack from closing fully.
The pivot rod is quite soft metal, and I simply took a screwdriver and hammer and Carefully and Gently tapped the end of the rod in the direction that it needed to go and that solved the problem.

Thanks I will take a look