Author Topic: Blasphemy..... Solar power.  (Read 95224 times)

EdDee

• View Profile
Re: Blasphemy..... Solar power.
« Reply #465 on: October 28, 2019, 12:08:31 PM »
Hey Glort...

Tie male appendage to rope, tie other end of rope to one carbon rod.... When sparks and suchlike become too concerning, apply feet to ground... Rapidly... Ensuing escape will automatically widen spark gap, break conductors and shut down current flow....

PS - Remember to check that the breaking strain of rope is withing personal physical tolerance limits and greater than breaking strain of connected wiring... Electrical, that is!!

Lol
Ed
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #466 on: October 28, 2019, 01:38:34 PM »

As good as it is to hear from you Ed, You certainly come up with some " unusual" concepts sometimes.   :laugh:

Interested to see what these things will do and withstand.  I have put some fairly decent Metal Bolts to the test before attaching them to wooden Dowels and connecting them to an array. Amazing how fast you can get metal dripping off them. Wonder what it would take to get a cupful of Molten steel?

Might try hooking 4x 250W solar panels in parallel and see if they can do any sort of decent weld.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #467 on: October 29, 2019, 02:39:17 AM »
>  Might try hooking 4x 250W solar panels in parallel and see if they can do any sort of decent weld.

That will be interesting.   PV panels are current sources, and as their current lessens, the voltage rises back toward nominal.

Here's a bit of an article describing it.   and a pic
http://www.aurorasolarenergy.com/iv-curve-of-a-solar-panel/

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #468 on: October 29, 2019, 12:06:13 PM »
That will be interesting.   PV panels are current sources, and as their current lessens, the voltage rises back toward nominal.

Yes, Interesting is exactly what I was thinking. There is a Voltage/ amperage trade off but which property does what in welding will  be interesting to find out.  I could Series all the panels but I expect that would cause the rod to spray with little penetration but who knows?  I have seen before so unexprected balancing between voltage and trade off and again expect what I am thinking I will see will  be different.

I have connected almost 600V open circuit panels to 230V Loads and the voltage drops down and the load ( Light bulb) works fine. There is a lot of " self levelling in panels before the power falls off significantly.

On another forum some electronic Geniuses ( of which I am not) and I have discovered the MPPT of panels is not nearly as sharp as made out.  With even 10V either side on Max power point of panels, the total power fall off is only around 10%. We are Playing with simple off the shelf  timer boards that are cheap and readily available as Controllers to maximise power from panels storing the energy in caps and allowing them to charge and discharge once they hit a certain voltage. We have found there is a LOT more leeway than anyone was lead to believe before the fall off is significant.

In any case, If 4 panels is not enough for welding, not hard to series parallel another 4 panels and see how that goes.

Today was sunny and although I was out this afternoon, I'm think those panels I connected to the 240V/3.6 Kw heater element to much have come close to boiling that 100 L of water in the tank it's in.  Was still VERY hot when I got to it at 8:30 well after the sun had gone down.  You throw enough panels at something and all the inefficiency just dissapear and you get some significant power regardless.