Author Topic: QUIET Exhaust - Listeroid - HOW?  (Read 11611 times)

George A

• View Profile
Re: QUIET Exhaust - Listeroid - HOW?
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2019, 10:44:51 PM »
Since my wife.........and the neighbors.........object to the sound of my 6/1, I've been thinking about using a propane tank also, but with a slightly different setup.

Note: The wife's objections are toned down a bit when we still have lights/t.v. and everyone else doesn't. :)

My idea is to run the exhaust into the side of the tank, at the top. Then, a second pipe will be located at the top and extend all the way down to the bottom, but about one inch from it. The idea is to have the exhaust enter and begin swirling a bit, as it travels to the bottom where it can begin exiting back up through the other pipe. A rain stack and condensate drain would complete the assembly.

I have no proof that such a setup would be better or fool proof, but it WOULD circulate, cool and let the gasses expand before exiting. Somewhat like the old cyclonic air filters worked. At any rate, it HAS to be better than that "pepper pot" muffler that came with the engine!
I've joined "the dark side"....if it has a spark plug, it's obsolete technology.

gadget

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2019, 04:54:39 AM »
Saba, thanks for the pic and drawing. I was thinking it could be done with one chamber but I see you had 4 in the drawing.

If temps are low enough, I wonder if egg krate foam shape could be used to line the inside of the box. The foam is great at absorbing sound waves and the spikes shapes are good at breaking up the sound waves.

There is also the air pulse to deal on top of the sound waves. I'm guessing from everyones comments, the key elements are a large chamber(s) and some sound absorbing material liner.

George A

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2019, 05:53:54 AM »
Why not try some R-max instead? R-max is a stiff, foil covered foam available at most lumber yards and is used as insulation. It comes in 4' x 8' sheets, 1" and 2" thicknesses. Easily cut and either glued or fastened with clamps inside your muffler.
I've joined "the dark side"....if it has a spark plug, it's obsolete technology.

gadget

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2019, 12:50:18 AM »
Why not try some R-max instead? R-max is a stiff, foil covered foam available at most lumber yards and is used as insulation. It comes in 4' x 8' sheets, 1" and 2" thicknesses. Easily cut and either glued or fastened with clamps inside your muffler.

The foam should help dampen sound waves since we are only dealing with a low frequency noise. I like the idea of rock wool
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 01:04:02 AM by gadget »

Jordan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2020, 07:37:29 AM »
There's drawing from a Lister SOM booklet that shows an exhaust system that could be excellent.
Also, it looks like it would be cheap and easy to accomplish.

Jordan

saba

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2020, 11:19:01 AM »
Hello Jordan, if you have a garden or place to dig a hole for sure that's the way to go.

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2020, 07:35:57 PM »
Yes, the official Lister design using an underground concrete chamber is very effective.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2682AwYJ7w
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2020, 12:19:21 AM »
I tried a few different mufflers, guess I didn't get the right one.
Dug a hole. the "pit of doom" works great for quieting things down.
Here's a link to an old thread about the "Pit" that contains 38AC, Bruce and others......
https://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=7773.0
An air compressor intake filter works great, screws right in. Makes a huge difference with not very much expense.
Now, that noisy valve-gear!
Cheers
Hugh
JKson 6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1978 Royal Enfield (glutton for punishment by Indian iron)
1963 BMW R-27 project

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2020, 12:35:42 AM »
Re the intake side of things:
An ancient thread that already has that solution, It works very well. There are other ways too, but this is as simple as it gets....just get a Solberg and screw it in.
Here's one:  https://www.solbergmfg.com/filters-traps-silencers/inlet-filtration-silencing/fs-ps-series/fs-19-150

Or different Mfg:  https://www.ecompressedair.com/eca-pfs-19p-150-air-intake-assembly-w-silencer.aspx
I 'm using that one.

Cheers
Hugh
JKson 6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1978 Royal Enfield (glutton for punishment by Indian iron)
1963 BMW R-27 project

guest27834

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2022, 12:34:50 AM »
I know this is a bit late, haha, but I'm fairly new to the forum.
This is my take on quietness of a Lister/oid engine.

Everyone knows a petrol/gasoline engine is quieter than a diesel engine.
Everyone knows that a single cylinder engine is noisier than a multi cylinder engine.
Everyone knows that the bigger the cylinder capacity the more noise you get.

So a large capacity, (1450 cc), diesel engine with a single cylinder,  isn't the quietest beast on the block.

Saying that.... These engines, original or clone, still do what they were meant to do, convert diesel into power and they do it surprisingly well.

Even with a pepperpot muffler, these engines are quieter than the average Harley Davidson wth compariive capacity, gasoline powered and twin mufflers.

So, I suppose I m going on the awkward side of the request, to make a lister/ oid quieter...why change what has obviously worked for over 100 years? These machines were built for farm and factory, not a terraced house in suburbia.

If quietness is required there are many natural gas powered multi cylinder generators available that are very quiet.

Changing what simply works, I'm sorry, is nonsense,

veggie

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2022, 02:34:51 PM »
In reply to your comment about it being nonsense to try making a Listeroid exhaust quiet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75ffy41BcRY

https://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=9268.0

Many members live in residential areas and noise may be a concern. Nothing wrong with that.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2022, 06:21:26 PM »

I find the character of the sound is more important than sound level.  The Listeroid chug, chug, at 650 rpm I find quite pleasant.  I don't care for 1800 rpm engine noise either, though it is certainly better than 3600 rpm.  Admittedly I have chronic brain inflammation from MS and resulting epilepsy.  So finding a bearable generator was one of my first efforts when moving way off grid.  The Listeroid has served me well.  It's inaudble  near my home and shop site.  My setup uses a large automotive muffler, as the exhaust is used for induced draft through the radiator.

Other factors for those intent on putting the Lister CS type engines close to the home are the clatter of the valve train is quite loud; I found this even for the DES 8/1 clone I converted to propane for my neighbor.  There is no diesel knock, but the valve train clatter is still there.  Louvered ventilation vents down low and not facing the home site  help, as does the insulated engine shed.  The valve train clatter is  audible for about 50 feet. 

The exhaust note on my neighbor's propane 8/1 is completely gone via a leach field muffler.  It is barely detectable with your ear right against the outlet pipe.  It also cleans up the exhaust-  no odor but earthy air.  Any of the various earth mufflers seem to perform exceptionally well thanks to the very large expansion area.

The other issue for those planning very close proximity is the vibration of the earth close to the Lister CS types.  This is best mitigated by proper balancing using the 38AC method. A slightly overbalanced engine will have a bit of rocking but the least vertical vibration.  You could adjust to suit the nearby structure. Still, I would avoid putting it very close to the home slab or foundation and would try to isolate the engine concrete from the nearby structure via foam or sand if trying to have it very close (less than 10 feet).

Best Wishes,
Bruce

keith71

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2022, 08:47:15 PM »
I know old thread.. Veggie did you make it quiet?  Simpleset and easiest way is mount the exhaust outlet well above a persons ear height.  Maybe two good size mufflers then head the exhaust up side of house 7-10 ft. Works like a charm..  the reason big big generators do it this way.  Outlet above ear height makes a huge difference. No concrete or foam boxes just pipe and mufflers
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 08:50:38 PM by keith71 »
12/2 Field Marshall
Jiangdong R170.

veggie

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2022, 03:10:58 AM »
I know old thread.. Veggie did you make it quiet?  Simpleset and easiest way is mount the exhaust outlet well above a persons ear height.  Maybe two good size mufflers then head the exhaust up side of house 7-10 ft. Works like a charm..  the reason big big generators do it this way.  Outlet above ear height makes a huge difference. No concrete or foam boxes just pipe and mufflers

keith71

Yes, it's super quiet. Have a look at the YTube video links above.
The project turned out very well.
Here...
https://youtu.be/75ffy41BcRY

cheers

Powdermonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2022, 01:22:16 AM »
Lister drawing 4526EP

Anybody got a lead on where to find this Lister drawing??  Underground muffler?  Most interested.  Please advise.