Author Topic: QUIET Exhaust - Listeroid - HOW?  (Read 11612 times)

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
QUIET Exhaust - Listeroid - HOW?
« on: October 17, 2019, 05:46:18 PM »

I'm looking for ideas to make a listeroid exhaust super quiet for residential use without having to dig a hole in the ground and bury everything.
Other houses are within 150 ft of the engine location.
I want to run the unit for 4 hrs per day without upsetting the neighbors.
Has anyone built a silent exhaust system for their Lister/roid?
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

dax021

• View Profile
Re: QUIET Exhaust - Listeroid - HOW?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 06:06:46 PM »
But a Lister exhaust throb is a beatiful sound and so nice for rocking one to sleep.  Your neighbours should pay you to listen to that exhaust.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 07:10:22 PM »
But a Lister exhaust throb is a beautiful sound and so nice for rocking one to sleep.  Your neighbours should pay you to listen to that exhaust. 

I cannot improve on that statement.

But what I did, was have an adapter welded up to 2" pipe, a flanged diesel truck braided flex hose, and then into a good sized truck muffler.  It's not silent, but a steady thump thump, about as loud at the mechanical rattle from the camshaft stuff.
See the link in my .sig for lister running , for a short video

veggie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 08:45:01 PM »
The concern is that if the lister is running at 10PM there may be issues with neighbours.
Especially if it runs for 4 hours before automatically shutting off when the water storage tank reaches 180f.
Sound travels at night.
I have seen some very quite systems where there is hardly any exhaust pop at all, but they have been underground tanks.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 09:36:46 PM by veggie »

veggie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 02:17:13 AM »
... I'm thinking of 3 large automotive mufflers in a row. Something like 2-1/2" inlet/outlet sizes.
Anyone tried that? I wonder about the back pressure.

saba

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 02:44:01 AM »
I had the same problem, tried a lot of things but always the deep bass sound remained. I made a labyrinth box with rockwool inside. Three chambers ,30cm/45cm/160cm wide high lenght . There is just fumes coming and no sound at all. I should have a video somewhere I'll try to find it.

Bernhard

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 10:28:03 AM »
How about a sound cancelling loudspeaker system?

A split exhaust with one arm traveling far enough to provide a half hertz phase shift before reuniting them?
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

veggie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 03:25:32 PM »
I had the same problem, tried a lot of things but always the deep bass sound remained. I made a labyrinth box with rockwool inside. Three chambers ,30cm/45cm/160cm wide high length . There is just fumes coming and no sound at all. I should have a video somewhere I'll try to find it.

Bernhard

From what material did you build the labyrinth box?

saba

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2019, 11:00:43 PM »
Behind the lister I had a big exhaustgas cooler so the gas exits at cooling water temp, max 90 degr C .

I made the box out of wood / thin plywood lined it with rockwool, inside I have to walls so you have three chambers. a pipe threw these walls in a way that the sound bounces of the opposing wall and cannot enter the next pipe directly.
If you look at a cut open car exhaust same thing only bigger with rockwool. Rockwool was rockfon ceiling plates like the ones they use in offices, but I am sure any kind will work
It was overkill because there was no noise at all even with your ear next to the exhaust.
Had to do it because I live really close to the neighbours.

The flaw of the design, exhaust gasses condensing in the last chamber with hot coolingwater and cold outside temps.

I think the yanmar will be easier to shut up, I am thinking of making a similar design but maybe in an old air compressor tank with a water drain at the bottem...

But rockwool labyrinth you can kill any sound or anyone without disturbing the neighbours.

Bernhard

veggie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2019, 04:27:44 PM »

Underground mufflers can be extremely quiet ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2682AwYJ7w

saba

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2019, 08:26:31 PM »
I had seen that one as well on my search for silence, but no place to dig a whole. There are also drawings in the start o matic manual with sizes of the pit If you can it is the best way to go i think.

Bernhard

gadget

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2019, 04:18:46 AM »
Behind the lister I had a big exhaustgas cooler so the gas exits at cooling water temp, max 90 degr C .

I made the box out of wood / thin plywood lined it with rockwool, inside I have to walls so you have three chambers. a pipe threw these walls in a way that the sound bounces of the opposing wall and cannot enter the next pipe directly.
If you look at a cut open car exhaust same thing only bigger with rockwool. Rockwool was rockfon ceiling plates like the ones they use in offices, but I am sure any kind will work
It was overkill because there was no noise at all even with your ear next to the exhaust.
Had to do it because I live really close to the neighbours.

The flaw of the design, exhaust gasses condensing in the last chamber with hot coolingwater and cold outside temps.

I think the yanmar will be easier to shut up, I am thinking of making a similar design but maybe in an old air compressor tank with a water drain at the bottem...

But rockwool labyrinth you can kill any sound or anyone without disturbing the neighbours.

Bernhard

Saba, could you do a really basic sketch with basic dimensions? I'm having trouble visualizing. I think you are on to something here. I need to have a quiet exhaust too due to close neighbors.

saba

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2019, 02:03:57 AM »
Took a picture with my phone from paper now it all looks bent. Other picture is showing part of the box and my exhaust cooler. It's all black because of the cleaning of the clogged up cooler each time. A job to look forward to.
Pipe going in the box is pvc sewer pipe 110mm I guess. Exhaust gas is below 90degr celcius so After the cooler its all plastic.
You can see my olive green ceiling tiles every where these also in the box.

So I made 4 chambers, really overkill it's absurd silent.

I have a small alley in between my house and the nabours where the exhaust exits, with a previous version I had it all silent but the thump of the exhaust you felt in your stomach the moment you entered the alley.

For the design improvements, inside it looks like a black hole combined with chernobyl. I experimented with fuels and had a stuck injector once.....
Lister cs does not run on HFO380 even when it's hot and mixed with a lot of diesel.....

I need to take it out but the mess it will give is keeping me from it.

Hope it helps for your project

regards Bernhard

saba

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2019, 02:21:16 AM »
Ok I saw I mixed mm's and cm, 168cm long.

For improvement make it water proof with a drain (condensating exhaust). The tubing inside was stainless air duct tubing. Tiles are compressed rockwool ceiling plates . I have the hole engine space patched up they suck up most of the noise.
Of course I sealed everything with silicone.

The size was determined by the space available as big as I could go.

Bernhard

carlb23

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2019, 12:11:50 PM »
I took an old 20lb propane tank and cut a hole in the top and bottom.  I welded threaded pipe couplings to both ends and i run the exhaust into one end and out the other.  it acts like an accumulator and allows the release of exhaust gases more slowly.  behind that i have a 2.5"diameter  car muffler and the exhaust pipe goes outside from there.  Outside i transition to a 15" length of 4" pvc that is on the ground with a reducer at the other end back to 2".  You can't hear the exhaust 25 feet away at all.