Author Topic: California power outages......anyone running on Lister-roid power?  (Read 6973 times)

Johndoh

• View Profile
Re: California power outages......anyone running on Lister-roid power?
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2019, 11:15:31 PM »
Different countries have different rules. In Ireland you are allowed a generator but it has to be connected properly by a certified qualified electrician at huge expense. My generator can be connected at short notice by an unapproved method that supplies the house perfectly well. If I can caught I face a 10,000.00 fine or 6 months imprisonment or both.

I have a well it's 165 feet deep and the water is hard as nails but I have a water softener and filter so it comes out of the tap fine. If mains water (government supplied) is available you have to use it no choice. At the moment there is only a charge for excess water usage but that's likely to change. I have no access to mains water so I use the well however the state owns everything  under the house so they can meter and charge me for water pumped and cleaned at my expense if they want to, and in the future they probably will. You own only 1 metre below any land or property you have.

Rainwater harvesting is encouraged for gardens, washing cars etc in a rural area it would be very difficult to police if it was illegal anyway. Putting up solar panels or a wind turbine without the proper paperwork is impossible and the paperwork, permits etc isn't easily got nor is it cheap.

I also have a septic tank which has an annual inspection charge. Interestingly the gubbermint (thanks Glort great word) gave me a 5 year derogation if 5 years inspection charges were paid in advance, figure that one out!
It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2019, 12:05:32 AM »
You own only 1 metre below any land or property you have.

Is that still Ireland you're talking about? I ask because I understood the situation in Ireland was you basically owned a column of Earth the same size/shape as your patch of land, all the way down to the middle...

Here in the UK, I believe we own the top 6ft of any land, everything below (and all mineral rights regardless of depth, or lack thereof) are owned by the Crown, unless specifically sold.

When it comes to extracting water, I don't believe we need licences or anything like that, but we do have to pay "abstraction charges" in order to extract water in the first place. It's not metered, that I am aware of. We also have to pay to have water removed from our land - any rain run-off  is considered to be grey water, and is sent to the water treatment works for release back into the nearest river/sea. This is charged based on a % of your water consumption (if you're on a meter), or rateable value of the property (a formula based on the value of your house, if you're not on a meter), or the size of the property for commercial premises. It's all ridiculously complicated, and mostly exists to keep a government department employed, I suspect.

I don't believe there are any restrictions on generators (other than noise nuisance laws, which a badass gen set might fall foul of) in the UK, but if you want to hook up an automatic switchover from grid power, it would have to be installed by a qualified electrician, and must use a break-before-make switch, to prevent any chance of back-feeding the local grid from your genset.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

Johndoh

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2019, 12:23:19 AM »
Ade as far as I know you own 1 meter used to be 3 feet before decimalisation under your property, the rest belongs to the state.  A few years ago they tried to bring in water charges but they made a total mess of it, which is fairly typical in Ireland. During the debate the government was "actively considering" charging people with wells as the water under your house is their water. Currently only mains water is metered and only "excessive use" is charged but I believe they have new plans coming down the line. They created a huge bureaucratic machine called Irish water that needs funds, not for water infrastructure but wages perks bonuses etc.
Any run-off here goes into a small stream at the bottom of a field and the government owns all the streams waterways etc, probably explains why rivers aren't dredged banks cleared etc

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2019, 12:56:11 AM »
Here you can have a generator providing it is hooked up by a licenced sparky if hard wired. No restrictions on running portables especially in emergency's.
I spoke to my sparky a few weeks ago about putting a change over switch on my house. I am thinking of building a gen shed at the end of the house which will be below ground level for the neighbour on that side and should be easy to keep quiet and close to the meter box so it's not expensive to set up.

There are a lot of rules about noise and other thing but they are only policed, sometimes, when there are complaints. The key is to get on with your Neighbours.  I have got real lucky here and have some good ones either side if not so great across the street.  I could get away with virtually anything here like I did in other placed I lived because in 2 years we have been here they love me.  I collect mail and water gardens whole they are on holidays, Race in and pick up aged mothers that have fallen in the house and the daughter can't pick up, Run errands, give them Fruit and Veg I have grown, Put out and bring in bins, Look after pets and just keep an eye out for them.

They would never complain about me because for one thing, I would be careful NOT to annoy them even if what I was doing was not strictly Kosher.
Unlike the former owner here, I try hard to be considerate and if I am not sure of anything, I ask, Do you mind if I do this or will this annoy you?
Most of the time they tell me it's my place I can do what I like or they never heard/ saw or would be happy if I did do it.... Thats been a common one with the amount of trees I have pulled out of here which I'm not supposed to do unless with a permit no one ever gets.

Water saving is real big here, especially seeing once again the country is in a drought and the water is running out fast in the citys as well.  Haven't built a dam here in 50 years but they have multiplied the population about 8X since the last one and wondering why we are running out of warming.  NO, it's not globull warming, even by the alarmist scientists admission.
Neighbour and I have a bunch of tanks, I have brought home a few IBC's for him and put a heap round myself. Obvious thing I have discovered is they only work once till it rains again and if there is no rain.....

I have a Bio cycle which is in effect an aerated septic that allows the waste water to be broken down by natural processes and pumped out the end as quite clean water. It's a bit heavy on the power side of things but I have enough panels to cover that 100X over so I couldn't care less. What it does give me is very nutrient rich water for the lawn and garden which I can water everything with bar the Vegetables and Fruit. The water does not seep away but is pumped out. Instead of letting it go just on the lawn as normal, I have 2x 1000L tanks I pump it into and then pump from there to wherever I want to use it.
 I have been watering the Veggie patches with it when there is nothing growing to try and keep the nutrient level in the soil up and give any bacteria a chance to break down before anything is planted. Plants have done well and we haven't died so I guess all is good.
This covers a lot of our water needs and as a mate says, we get to use the water twice. Once for cooking, bathing etc in the house, the other for the garden. Think I like about it most is the pump and 1" Hose I have really lays down some water and I can do the water as fast or slow as I like at the time depending if I am just enjoying the late afternoon or I want to get the job done.

Panels here are not regulated off grid at all. On grid you simple need approval from the power co's as to the amount you want to feed in.  More to do with their lost revenue than anything else. If you are not back feeding then as far as I'm aware you just need the system installed by a licenced sparky with solar accreditation and get it certified it's to standard. Most placed here have up to 5KW backfeed but if you have a zero back feed inverter you can have all the panels you can fit basicaly.

Batteries here are Highly encouraged.  Stupid idea for people on grid with the inflated cost here but none the less, gubberment policy encourages them at every opportunity. Great cash cow for the industry whom pay Gubberment taxes as well so good all round... except for the home owner.

Thanks to the greenwashed policy's and rabble rousing by road gluing morons, we are facing severe power shortages this summer in 4 of the 5 states on the national grid ( which isn't national at all because 2 states go it alone... and have no problems) so the sound of generators will be a common thing.
It would be REAL difficult for any state gubbermint to ban generators when they have installed  Diesel burning turbines that suck 80,000 Litres of Diesel an HOUR to keep the lights on when all the unreliable generation they have put in falls over as it has in the past and they know it will again.
So much for cheap clean power from unreliables.

One needs a licence to sink a bore here but I'm not aware of any fees other than some BS annual inspection fee. Mate had a bore sunk about 6 Months ago which cost him  $15K but cheaper than bring water in by truck to water horses and paddocks. He's dug a siezeable dam on his property and will use that to hold the water than can pump from there.  Probably going to have a lot of the local Deer, Kangas, and other wildlife using it as a watering hole as well.

Looking at it, I spose our gubberment is pretty good in encouraging people to be in effect as self sufficient as they can and they certainly don't have the oppressive control mentality  other places do. .

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2019, 07:21:07 PM »
Sorry.  I can't let it pass.

Interestingly the gubbermint (thanks Glort great word)
I thought I should mention that "gubbermint" isn't always well received here in the states.  Lots of baggage that I won't go into now as most of us are trying to play nice with others.

Aloha
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2019, 07:31:52 PM »
Back on topic:

There are many restrictions In Washington state, USA too on domestic water wells.  I'm being screwed around by them as I write.  Generally speaking you can stay on your private well until there is public water available and you need something like a mortgage or building permit.  You must destroy your well once the public water is turned on to your residence.  Not even garden use of the well is permitted.

My neighbor has an uncertified well and the county is enforcing a 100 foot covenant on a 40 foot lot which means much of my lot is near unusable regardless of permits and agreements and covenants not being on record.  Almost moves me to use the "gubbermint " word.  I'm grinning - I hope you are.

Oh, and the barking female person that owns the well won't let me hook up.  Now I know you're grinning.

Aloha
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 07:33:36 PM by LowGear »
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

Johndoh

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2019, 09:30:29 PM »
Sorry.  I can't let it pass.

Interestingly the gubbermint (thanks Glort great word)
I thought I should mention that "gubbermint" isn't always well received here in the states.  Lots of baggage that I won't go into now as most of us are trying to play nice with others.

Aloha

TBH I thought Glort made up that word I just looked it up when I read your message.

I'm one of those people that hates all politicians and the only politician I ever quote is Enoch Powell he said all political careers ends in failure. This should be a consolation to anyone that supports any political party of any colour, the opposition politicians career will end in failure. You have to ignore the fact that your preferred  candidate will have the same fate, something people seem very keen to do.

Jeremy Paxman, who has to be one of the greatest interviewer of politicians ever said that when he starts an interview his first thought is "why is this bastard lying to me". I can find no fault with his thinking.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2019, 04:24:52 AM »

I still hope for some good or smart examples of how some bureaucracy is handling emergency power.

From the PG&E website
https://abc7news.com/society/list-places-to-go-during-potential-pg-e-power-shutoff/5603619/
Mendocino County
    * 1775 N. State Street, Ukiah 95482

As seen on the below map, this address is an empty lot.   There was a ordinary 4 wheel pickup truck with slide-in camper shell, a 10'x10' pop-up tent, and a ice chest with bottled water.  This was the center for the county seat with about 17,000 residents.  Ha !!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/1775+N+State+St,+Ukiah,+CA+95482/@39.1745421,-123.2115556,1813m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x808164d6f0f5246b:0xa05bf69580d6813e!8m2!3d39.1731115!4d-123.2105256

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2019, 03:24:04 AM »
 getting real !!

For my town, the PSPS started Saturday 26th 5:30pm.  (PG&E's euphemism for "in the interest of public safety, since our system cannot operate safely in a 30 mph wind, we will turn off the power)

Gas stations and grocery stores are down.   City water & sewer running on backup generators.   All of Mendocino County (and 20+ other counties in nor calif) is offline. Most of the cell towers are in remote locations and after today (72hours) may be getting ready to run out of fuel.  A couple business had backup generators in place, but about 25% are now offline, mostly mechanical failure, and one was stolen and towed away.  We are looking at Thursday 31st AM as the first reasonable expectation to start getting power back. That will be 120 hours (5 days) and well into a maintenance cycle for generators having been run 24/7
No refrigerated goods at all. 
Safeway is selling dry goods off the shelf by flashlight and cash only.
Costco in Ukiah brought in a generator to run the gas pumps 24/7 to the general public, but it failed after 20 hours, and a replacement is in the works.

Late this afternoon, smoke started arriving, which will impact my solar harvest tomorrow.   Most of the town is going to have PTSD.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2019, 08:50:13 AM »
Incredible!

A 30 MPH wind wouldn't even rate a mention here let alone cause a power shutdown of that length and magnitude.

Arent you coming into winter there? I thought this was a summer thing.  What happens if you actualy get bad weather in winter? Thongs will get real serious then.

Looks like to live in Cali everyone is going to need a generator and a weeks supply of fuel for it, their vehicles and a weeks Food and water as well.
Mate only emailed me this morning saying he can't wait to get the hell out the place.  I can well see why.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2019, 07:11:28 AM »
Winter has finally arrived, and with 7" of rain, fire danger is now quite low, unless you are a politician, in which case, pants are mostly on fire ( Liar Liar, pants on fire. goes the rhyme )

6-8 days 90% cloud cover, and am running the clone daily for 2 hours or so, and giving a squirt of water/IPA down the intake for a couple minutes.  Gave it a nice oil change with some synthetic oil

The beat goes on.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2019, 09:55:38 AM »

We just had a
Winter has finally arrived, and with 7" of rain, fire danger is now quite low, unless you are a politician, in which case, pants are mostly on fire ( Liar Liar, pants on fire. goes the rhyme )

Just had a "disagreement " with the director of the local University Vet Clinic over an animal we had there.
 They evacuated the Vet Hospital over a week ago because of "Fires" in the area and wanted to charge us for housing the animal because they couldn't do the operation.  I pointed out that there were no fires in the area and hadn't been any within cooee of the place.   The guy got back to me with a map that showed fires 6 KM away from the place 8 Days ago. I pointed out that everything between the fire and the hospital in that 6 KM was cleared paddocks, housing estates and roads... and my house.  NO bush to burn.

Pointed out where I live round the corner and  between him and the fires, Told him I was well aware of them as I had been where they were helping a mate  and challenged him to provide any notice from the fire authority they should evacuate as we hadn't. I  said whom ever made the decision to evacuate and then not come back was incompetent or lying to him. Either way, we weren't paying for the Unnecessary stay and the operation could have been performed at the Vets where the animal was sent. 

They also gave a a LOT of conflicting information after he got onto someone and they were emailing us direct obviously without him being aware and his version and theirs were entirely different.
In asking what the hell was going on and pointing out their incompetence, questioning the care of the animal , their ineptitude at keeping us informed what was happening and the conflicting info, They did the desexing and didn't charge us any more.  First smart move they made.

Being a university I'm hardly surprised they took PC lefty over cautious approach but trying to profit about $1400 out of it I wasn't going to wear.
We normally use another part of the hospital and they have been great but the Exotic Division leaves something to be desired.  The guy running it seems OK but his staff clearly need sorting out.

Are you running Diesel or waste oil in your engine?

We have been lucky so far.  Few hot days probably helped by the smoke cover and the fact the fires have taken so many people off grid there is probably more than normal power to go round.  Come Jan/ Feb, when we get a week of 40o+ weather in a row, I expect power shortages.
REALLY been frustrated trying to find a suitable Gen head here.  At least half a dozen engines and nothing to drive with them other than the Big IMAG.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2019, 07:40:39 AM »
Sold the wife on the generator idea, because it would burn bio-diesel.  Then 2 years later, the bio-diesel plant closed, and I can't get it anymore, so I'm running pump diesel with 200:1 2-stroke oil added ( we have ultra low sulfur diesel which causes lube problems in old engines )
 When the weather is consistently below freezing day and night, I'll add a bit of gasoline to the diesel to help it light off in the cold

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2019, 07:46:36 PM »
The two stroke oil seems just a bit over kill but I probably worry more about dirty air than most others.  The 10% gasoline goes along with my beliefs however I thought it was to ease the load on the fuel pumps more than ignition.

I actually had my dump truck on the road this week.  Once they set for a few months the problems seem to escalate.  New wiper posts, replacement fuel tank, rear tires, rat nest attack and remembering how to drive a unit that your ass is directly above the front tire have all taken some time to overcome.  This week down to the local safety inspector and then, hopefully, let the mulch (green waste the county collects, thrashes, and loads onto your truck) rain down again. 

The big lesson to me is that if you're going to do raw vegetable oil make sure you're tidy about it and don't use mature oil.  I definitely put the 10% gasoline in and some lubrication additive if I wasn't thinning it with bio diesel.  I bring this up because as you're dumping that $3+ a gallon diesel in the tank it might be very tempting to pour in some "free" recovered vege oil.  Both will soften the diesel exhaust smell.

NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2019, 08:04:16 AM »
so I'm running pump diesel with 200:1 2-stroke oil added ( we have ultra low sulfur diesel which causes lube problems in old engines ) The 2 stroke is a good idea but just adding Veg oil will raise the lubricity of Diesel out of sight.  I won't run straight diesel in anything. Gives me the heeybegeebys so I ALWAYS add some veg oil in with it. Modern diesel is so dry it's not much better than water.

You can easily and safely run Veg oil, new or used in your engine. If it's cold the addition of 5-10% ULP/RUG will help with bringing the timing of the ignition forward closer to where Diesel would be and give better performance and cleaner burning. I have experimented with it over hundreds of thousands on KM over the last 17 years in my vehicles and there is no question it works.  Very few people ever advance their pump timing but Petrol in the oil does that very well.  I do not recommend going over 15%, it starts to make power fall off. 

You can easily add 50% to diesel without thinking about it to get your Fuel costs down. The pumps in these old engines have no problem with Veg at all. People in the UK use new oil because it's cheaper than diesel there. If that was the case where you are this is another alternative but why pay for something you can get for free?

I have been running straight Veg in my little Kubota engine and it seems to love it. I don't even see any haze let alone smoke except of course when I start the thing which it did when I got it on diesel anyway.  Thing runs like a watch. I like a more constant or timed water injection but squirting water ever run would probably do the job well enough.  Any old oil will work in these engines as long as it is filtered to 10 UM or under and prefrably Dried.
Removing the water from the oil is something I'm real big on and also is a performance booster in power and starting.  Surprisingly, I have not found wet ( Non dried oil) to help with keeping deposits at bay but the problems it can cause in the tank, lines, pump and injectors wouldn't be worth it if it did.

I have just done an initial filter on about 150L of Oil. Poured it out the drums it came in, crumbs and rubbish and all into another drum with a felt Lining. after the first 2 Drums the crap slowed it right down even though it's pretty warm days here. That's fine, the slower it goes through the better it comes out as those particles slowing the flow also make the passages finer and the oil cleaner.  From here I'll put it through my Processor which will filter it down to 5 Um and dry it at the same time. Into some smaller drums for storage and good to go.
I want to use an amount in my waste oil heater for winter so I'll probably just Dry that and not bother filtering it as it will be clean enough already.

When the weather is consistently below freezing day and night, I'll add a bit of gasoline to the diesel to help it light off in the cold

ULP mixes also GREATLY help with starting particularly in cold weather. I would go 10-15% depending how cold it is (15% in freezing weather ) but you can also 2 tank it and use a Hot batch for starting like 20% and as soon as the engine is running go back to something like 5% . I believe that 5% brings the timing back to where it should be and anything extra's main advantage is in starting.  Soon as the thing is running you can switch over to the Running fuel.  Engine will be warm enough by the time everything flushes through.  Switch back on the rundown when you are doing your water squirt or a bit before.  For a timed? automated water Spritz, Coffee maker water pumps are great. Low volume, High pressure. They are a pulse pump so turn on and off hundred of times a minute so don't care how many times you Cycle the things.

I made a little Fuel injector driver with an arduino. I'm not sure if it can be used for water injection But I was thinking of it for spraying  petrol or Meth down the intake via a momentary switch for starting.  Alcohol based solvents are great starting aids for diesel put down the intake.  Petrol is good too but makes the engines nail for a could of seconds . Methanol/ Metho etc is much softer.

Give some straight veg a go. You can save a lot of money either by blending it or using it straight.