Author Topic: California power outages......anyone running on Lister-roid power?  (Read 17378 times)

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: California power outages......anyone running on Lister-roid power?
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2019, 12:05:32 AM »
You own only 1 metre below any land or property you have.

Is that still Ireland you're talking about? I ask because I understood the situation in Ireland was you basically owned a column of Earth the same size/shape as your patch of land, all the way down to the middle...

Here in the UK, I believe we own the top 6ft of any land, everything below (and all mineral rights regardless of depth, or lack thereof) are owned by the Crown, unless specifically sold.

When it comes to extracting water, I don't believe we need licences or anything like that, but we do have to pay "abstraction charges" in order to extract water in the first place. It's not metered, that I am aware of. We also have to pay to have water removed from our land - any rain run-off  is considered to be grey water, and is sent to the water treatment works for release back into the nearest river/sea. This is charged based on a % of your water consumption (if you're on a meter), or rateable value of the property (a formula based on the value of your house, if you're not on a meter), or the size of the property for commercial premises. It's all ridiculously complicated, and mostly exists to keep a government department employed, I suspect.

I don't believe there are any restrictions on generators (other than noise nuisance laws, which a badass gen set might fall foul of) in the UK, but if you want to hook up an automatic switchover from grid power, it would have to be installed by a qualified electrician, and must use a break-before-make switch, to prevent any chance of back-feeding the local grid from your genset.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

guest23837

« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2019, 12:23:19 AM »
Ade as far as I know you own 1 meter used to be 3 feet before decimalisation under your property, the rest belongs to the state.  A few years ago they tried to bring in water charges but they made a total mess of it, which is fairly typical in Ireland. During the debate the government was "actively considering" charging people with wells as the water under your house is their water. Currently only mains water is metered and only "excessive use" is charged but I believe they have new plans coming down the line. They created a huge bureaucratic machine called Irish water that needs funds, not for water infrastructure but wages perks bonuses etc.
Any run-off here goes into a small stream at the bottom of a field and the government owns all the streams waterways etc, probably explains why rivers aren't dredged banks cleared etc

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2019, 07:21:07 PM »
Sorry.  I can't let it pass.

Interestingly the gubbermint (thanks Glort great word)
I thought I should mention that "gubbermint" isn't always well received here in the states.  Lots of baggage that I won't go into now as most of us are trying to play nice with others.

Aloha
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2019, 07:31:52 PM »
Back on topic:

There are many restrictions In Washington state, USA too on domestic water wells.  I'm being screwed around by them as I write.  Generally speaking you can stay on your private well until there is public water available and you need something like a mortgage or building permit.  You must destroy your well once the public water is turned on to your residence.  Not even garden use of the well is permitted.

My neighbor has an uncertified well and the county is enforcing a 100 foot covenant on a 40 foot lot which means much of my lot is near unusable regardless of permits and agreements and covenants not being on record.  Almost moves me to use the "gubbermint " word.  I'm grinning - I hope you are.

Oh, and the barking female person that owns the well won't let me hook up.  Now I know you're grinning.

Aloha
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 07:33:36 PM by LowGear »
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

guest23837

« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2019, 09:30:29 PM »
Sorry.  I can't let it pass.

Interestingly the gubbermint (thanks Glort great word)
I thought I should mention that "gubbermint" isn't always well received here in the states.  Lots of baggage that I won't go into now as most of us are trying to play nice with others.

Aloha

TBH I thought Glort made up that word I just looked it up when I read your message.

I'm one of those people that hates all politicians and the only politician I ever quote is Enoch Powell he said all political careers ends in failure. This should be a consolation to anyone that supports any political party of any colour, the opposition politicians career will end in failure. You have to ignore the fact that your preferred  candidate will have the same fate, something people seem very keen to do.

Jeremy Paxman, who has to be one of the greatest interviewer of politicians ever said that when he starts an interview his first thought is "why is this bastard lying to me". I can find no fault with his thinking.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2019, 04:24:52 AM »

I still hope for some good or smart examples of how some bureaucracy is handling emergency power.

From the PG&E website
https://abc7news.com/society/list-places-to-go-during-potential-pg-e-power-shutoff/5603619/
Mendocino County
    * 1775 N. State Street, Ukiah 95482

As seen on the below map, this address is an empty lot.   There was a ordinary 4 wheel pickup truck with slide-in camper shell, a 10'x10' pop-up tent, and a ice chest with bottled water.  This was the center for the county seat with about 17,000 residents.  Ha !!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/1775+N+State+St,+Ukiah,+CA+95482/@39.1745421,-123.2115556,1813m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x808164d6f0f5246b:0xa05bf69580d6813e!8m2!3d39.1731115!4d-123.2105256

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2019, 03:24:04 AM »
 getting real !!

For my town, the PSPS started Saturday 26th 5:30pm.  (PG&E's euphemism for "in the interest of public safety, since our system cannot operate safely in a 30 mph wind, we will turn off the power)

Gas stations and grocery stores are down.   City water & sewer running on backup generators.   All of Mendocino County (and 20+ other counties in nor calif) is offline. Most of the cell towers are in remote locations and after today (72hours) may be getting ready to run out of fuel.  A couple business had backup generators in place, but about 25% are now offline, mostly mechanical failure, and one was stolen and towed away.  We are looking at Thursday 31st AM as the first reasonable expectation to start getting power back. That will be 120 hours (5 days) and well into a maintenance cycle for generators having been run 24/7
No refrigerated goods at all. 
Safeway is selling dry goods off the shelf by flashlight and cash only.
Costco in Ukiah brought in a generator to run the gas pumps 24/7 to the general public, but it failed after 20 hours, and a replacement is in the works.

Late this afternoon, smoke started arriving, which will impact my solar harvest tomorrow.   Most of the town is going to have PTSD.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2019, 07:11:28 AM »
Winter has finally arrived, and with 7" of rain, fire danger is now quite low, unless you are a politician, in which case, pants are mostly on fire ( Liar Liar, pants on fire. goes the rhyme )

6-8 days 90% cloud cover, and am running the clone daily for 2 hours or so, and giving a squirt of water/IPA down the intake for a couple minutes.  Gave it a nice oil change with some synthetic oil

The beat goes on.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2019, 07:40:39 AM »
Sold the wife on the generator idea, because it would burn bio-diesel.  Then 2 years later, the bio-diesel plant closed, and I can't get it anymore, so I'm running pump diesel with 200:1 2-stroke oil added ( we have ultra low sulfur diesel which causes lube problems in old engines )
 When the weather is consistently below freezing day and night, I'll add a bit of gasoline to the diesel to help it light off in the cold

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2019, 07:46:36 PM »
The two stroke oil seems just a bit over kill but I probably worry more about dirty air than most others.  The 10% gasoline goes along with my beliefs however I thought it was to ease the load on the fuel pumps more than ignition.

I actually had my dump truck on the road this week.  Once they set for a few months the problems seem to escalate.  New wiper posts, replacement fuel tank, rear tires, rat nest attack and remembering how to drive a unit that your ass is directly above the front tire have all taken some time to overcome.  This week down to the local safety inspector and then, hopefully, let the mulch (green waste the county collects, thrashes, and loads onto your truck) rain down again. 

The big lesson to me is that if you're going to do raw vegetable oil make sure you're tidy about it and don't use mature oil.  I definitely put the 10% gasoline in and some lubrication additive if I wasn't thinning it with bio diesel.  I bring this up because as you're dumping that $3+ a gallon diesel in the tank it might be very tempting to pour in some "free" recovered vege oil.  Both will soften the diesel exhaust smell.

NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator