General Category > General Discussion

California power outages......anyone running on Lister-roid power?

(1/11) > >>

dkmc:

Anyone on this forum running their Lister-or-roid on the west coast due to power outage?
I suspect if they were, they'd have already posted here

xyzer:
My dad ran his 6/1 to keep the freezer inline! He is 93. I bought 2 from George many years ago. He put electric start on his. I think that may be a good idea as years move on.

mike90045:
I'm here in the thick of it, but I'm also off-grid and it's been sunny, haven't run the 6/1 for power for several months.  Rain expected next week, may need it then.

Tom in Hopland, same thing, off grid, solar, and it's sunny.

Stores were a mess. Costco out of bottled water, all grocery stores were swarmed. Hardware stores sold out of generators and parts to make suicide power cords.  Lots of rural folks on wells needing 240VAC to run, but not with a cheap genset.

dkmc:
Gentleman, glad to see a quick response from a few of you. We all, (group members from all over the country and the world) can learn from your experiences with this situation. Sounds like stocking up on water or having a well is a GOOD idea. Please share your experience here and tell us how you managed this situation.

mike90045:
I think the final count was 700,000 households and business shut down for about 3 - 4 days. PG&E was pretty quick to get the grid inspected and turned back on.   The wind patterns were only mild and dindn't knock stuff down (but at the mountain tops they logged +70mph winds) .

But stores and restaurants lost cold storage inventory (any fixed generators over 50hp need an expensive permit from the AQMD (air quality management district) ATM's and credit card systems went down because of disconnects in the data lines - somewhere a phone system looses it's backup and there goes everything that feeds thru it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version