Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lister TS2 generator  (Read 4371 times)

madlabs

• View Profile
Lister TS2 generator
« on: October 08, 2019, 04:44:02 PM »
Hi All,

I am the new owner of a TS2 based generator with an Allmand gen head. I did quite a bit of work on marine diesels but it was many years ago and I have never worked on a Lister/Petter.

It is running OK and producing power. I have been poring through the manual and I do not understand the fuel system. It appears the fuel delivery lines go to the injectors, not to the fuel pump. So, how does the fuel pump pressurize and time the fuel delivery? Are the high pressure lines that come down to the injectors from the fuel pump hydraulic lines that activate the injectors?

Thanks!

merkland

• View Profile
Re: Lister TS2 generator
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 05:15:32 PM »
Madlabs,
The injectors are fed fuel by the high pressure lines from the fuel pump. I suspect that the pipes which you have identified as fuel feed lines are in fact the pipes which take excess fuel from the injectors back to the fuel tank.
merkland.

madlabs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 12:17:33 AM »
The "Line A" is the only fuel line I can see. The manual says to bleed air at the two banjo fittings where line A connects to the injectors. There are no other visible fuel lines. Is there a port on the back of the fuel filter that leads to the fuel pump or something? As you said. I too thought at first that line A was a return line, but you wouldn't bleed it there and the bleed points are lower than the fuel pump.

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 07:09:14 AM »
I think what you've identified as injectors are actually the fuel pumps (plural), the grubby items at the base of the cylinder fins. The HP line comes out of the top and into the actual injector which - unless the angle of the photo is deceiving - point upwards slightly? I'd say you have one HP pump per cylinder, and they'll be operated by a cam follower directly off the camshaft.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

madlabs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 02:20:59 PM »
Duh! Of course! Being thick I didn't think that of course the injectors would need to be located ABOVE the cylinder!  :embarassed:

I appreciate you straightening me out out but you sure didn't make me feel too smart!  ::)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 02:22:43 PM by madlabs »

sirpedrosa

• 21NOV2019 - Finally I hear that sound... again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 02:38:36 PM »
Hi MAdlabs

Maybe something like this give some prespective!

Cheers
VP
By order of firing up:
Bernard 18A - 1968 (mama's water pump - year of my birth)
Petter PAZ1 - Jun 1967, 3HP, sn 416xxxx
Petter PAZ1 - Nov 1979, 3HP, sn 425xxxx
Lister 12/2 - 12651227, the pearl!
Deutz MAH 914, 1952 - Zündfix in chamber and go (7Mai2023).

madlabs

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 02:46:20 PM »
Thanks sirpedrosa. The lines you identify as the return are not hooked up to anything and the engine runs fine. If they were return lines and not connected would the engine run and not dump fuel?

sirpedrosa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2019, 08:17:51 PM »
Hi Matlabs

I think, but I would need more pics of the machine, the return should be connected to the injectors return path.

A good shape injector has no return, I mean the return pipe is a safe escape, if nozzle is not spraying has it should be.

And if block all the return way, you'll never have any dumped fuel...

Post some more pics. "A pic worth 1000+ words".

Cheers
VP
By order of firing up:

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 05:43:17 PM »
I appreciate you straightening me out out but you sure didn't make me feel too smart!  ::)

Well - you don't need to be too worried.... I took an LD apart a couple of years ago, to try to fix a hard starting problem (it needed spinning almost up to operating RPM to fire), and now I haven't got a flippin' clue how to put it back together again! And that's just ONE cylinder!

Anyway - it's not about being smart, it's about having the knowledge in the first place. I've been messing around with mechanically injected diesels of one form or another for 20+ years, so I know what I'm looking for. Still doesn't help me put the buggers back together afterwards! One of the main reasons I've never stripped down my working CS!

Anyhooo - some more knowledge: There should be two pipes on each injector. The bottom one is the HP feed in, which when the injection pump gets a smack from the cam, pushes a very high pressure pulse into the injector, causing it (hopefully!) to inject. Any unused fuel which didn't make it out of the nozzle, is returned - usually to the tank, but (especially on little engines like these) sometimes to a catch can or - if you're unlucky (e.g. CS engine with no return pipe) to a place where spare fuel can wash out the rocker grease into the engine causing umpteen problems if not spotted early enough. I don't see any return pipes, but maybe I'm not looking hard enough. They are semi-optional: A good idea, but if the surplus fuel just runs away down the side of the engine, they shouldn't cause any operating problems. Environmental, well, different story...

Anyway, you say it runs & produces power, which suggests you don't have any pressing problems with your fuel system. To fully bleed any air out you'd loosen the nut on the back of the injector & crank the engine until it spits just fuel & no air. Then repeat 4-5 times because there's always a sodding bubble trapped somewhere!
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------

madlabs

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2019, 06:10:12 PM »
Thanks for the help guys.

I took another look and I think that these are the return lines and that indeed any return is meant to dribble down the sides. You can see the flexible line coming from the top of the injector in the first picture. It snakes it way up through the head and pokes out as you can see in the second picture. The decompression lever covers the output of the flexible line when in run position. If indeed these are the return line, which seems likely, then any return fuel would just run down the engine.

I guess as long as there is no fuel coming out I am good.

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2019, 07:01:18 PM »
Looks right to me.

Maybe, once upon a time, it would have had a pipe leading back to the tank, which has been lost/broken off at some point, not sure.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------

oldgoat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2019, 12:30:25 PM »
I found the hardest part of reassembling an LD was getting the right piece of tinware in the right place. By the time you've rearranged it a couple of times you're an expert.

sirpedrosa

• View Profile
Re: Lister TS2 generator - After all it has a return line!
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2019, 08:46:47 PM »
Hi Madlabs

After all it has a return line! Destroyed, but  the place for it stills there.

Hands on job. You got plenty of work to do, in order to make it pretty.

Have a safe weekend
VP
By order of firing up: