Author Topic: Gadget's DES 8/1 Stamford build  (Read 6450 times)

gadget

• View Profile
Re: Gadget's DES 8/1 Stamford build
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2019, 03:27:53 AM »
Hey Glort,

I thought it was safe to leave iron in the solution for days. I'm at home tomorrow but I can go down to work and check it out in the morning. Its just siting the drum outside the shop.

I will give it a good stir tomorrow morning. I can add some heat Thursday with my 1000 watt emersion heater

dax021

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2019, 02:38:44 PM »

I was not trying to infer it was not safe to do so rather that I would keep an eye on it.

A lot depends on strength and agitation.  I would suggest that hitting the block with a pressure washer to blow off the softened paint would be faster and less risk of erosion than waiting for the paint to all off in the solution itself.

In my experience with paint stripping, softening the material chemically and then using some mechanical removal method works best.

Agree 100% with Glort.  I used to leave cast iron pump units and meters in the caustic for days without any negative effects.  The paint will however never completely dissolve and will always need a high pressure wash to get it all off.  Even a wash with a garden hose gets most of the loose stuff off.

Beware of leaving brass or aluminium bits like bushes in the casting, they WILL erode.

gadget

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2019, 02:18:58 PM »
Thanks everyone for the good input. I had some free time at work today so I pulled the block up and gave it a pressure wash. About 95% came off. Its been soaking for 4 days. I had not stirred it and its pretty cool outside so I'm impressed this much came off. I put it back for another soak. I'm going to heat it Monday and give it another pressure wash after work.

I noticed there was a couple of spots the pressure washer would not get some casting grit out. I guess this is where you have to mechanically scrape it out.

gadget

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2019, 04:24:49 AM »
I got the block out of the tank and pressure washed the rest of the paint and white gunk off. I added 1,000 watt emersion heater for about 8 hours, the solution got to about 130F. Did lots of stirring and it seems it worked very well with the heat.

I have not painted the inside yet. I have been scraping stuck on sand and grinding with an oval shaped carbide bit. I'm going to give it a good round with a sand blaster inside then I will paint it.

For now, I got some paint on the outside. I wanted a mellow color, even maybe grey. I found some Detroit diesel green in high temp paint and it has that old industrial generator look.

gadget

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2019, 12:03:32 AM »
I was cleaning up the head and cylinder bore today and noticed something. It appears that I got a used cylinder bore. Most of the honing is worn off and there is some carbon build up above where the rings reach the highest point. I didn't feel any ridge so I may just hone with a rigid hone and give it a go.

I'm not surprised since I also got the wrong piston. I wonder if the factory was out of 8/1 piston/bore and sent this used one instead. Gary did send me out an aluminum replacement piston for the wrong cast iron one. I would hate to have him send me a new cylinder bore. Im hoping this one will work with new piston/rings. Any thoughts??

snowman18

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2019, 06:29:59 AM »

You Bought this new and they gave you a used Bore?

Even if it were new the cross hatch has a totally wrong pattern. The cast iron looks soft, probably sewer or stove cast.

Would be interesting to take the bore to a scrap yard and have them use the XRF on it to determine the make up of the alloy used for the cylinder casting.

Using a lower grade of cast for the crankcase is not an issue.

The bottom image shows the proper cross hatch.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 06:37:12 AM by snowman18 »