How to / DIY > Engines

help with Lister D

<< < (3/3)

cobbadog:
Hi mike, I haven't used a lawn mower ignition module but I don't think it would work. One of the most common fails are the dirty points followed by condensor fail. Lately I do not replace the failed condensor with the same, I use something called a film capacitor with a value 0f 2.2Mf and 640V. I buy ceramic ones and they are far more reliable than the original part.
Glad you are up and running Rich

ajaffa1:
Hi Guys, firstly a huge well done to Rich P for sorting out the problem and I hope he gets many years of joy from his engine. I hope his fingers have recovered from the belt he got!  :laugh:

Hi AdeV, I lived in the UK for fifty years and I know how cold wet and miserable life there can be. I now live in Australia so I also know how hot, dry and miserable life can be here. The only advantage of living where I do is motor vehicles usually last three times as long because they are not exposed to the salt on the roads used to combat frost. I would never buy a vehicle that had been used here in a coastal environment either. There a vehicles in central Australia that are forty years old and still have no rust, the engines, bearings and seals are f*cked due to the dust and terrible roads but that can all be fixed, rotten bodywork can`t be.

Hi Mike, I think a small engine ignition system could be made to work, it would not be too difficult to remove the Lister D timing chain sprocket and replace it with the magnetic fan assembly from a small modern engine (Weed wacker or leaf blower) , you would then need to fabricate a mounting for the magneto coil and work out how to time it. Shouldn`t be too difficult.

Bob

dieselspanner:
Or just keep the points, add a condenser, a switch and a coil. if you don't want a 6/12v charging system - whatever your coil needs - run it total loss, a 'knackered' 12v car battery will keep a stationary engine going for days, before it will need recharging.

Stef

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version