Author Topic: Need help with Jiang Dong 1115  (Read 9299 times)

Zeppole

• View Profile
Need help with Jiang Dong 1115
« on: September 17, 2019, 09:45:28 PM »

Bought this engine new off Ebay last year and have it set up with an 11K Stanford type head.  Last time I ran the unit (a few months ago) it ran fine.  Getting ready for winter so I thought I'd best fire it up and make sure everything was working correctly.  Unfortunately it has issues.

The problem:  engine starts easy enough but billows white smoke, occasionally backfiring and pulsating rpm.

What I've done so far:

1.  Drained fuel and replaced with fresh diesel.  No love.

2.  Bled all the lines -- I can hear the injector pump creaking.  No love.

3.  Pulled the injector -- connected to fuel line and turned over.  Seeing 3 perhaps four fine mist sprays from the injector.  Re-install, bleed lines, No love.

4.  Torqued head bolts.  No love.

I know that white smoke usually indicates unburned fuel and/or air in the lines.  Compression seems to be good.  Fuel rack seems to work appropriately.  Can't figure out why the problem is not getting resolved.

Next step would be pulling the head and replacing the head gasket but I really don't want to do that before getting some input from members of the forum.

I understand that the injector pump is timed with shims but honestly have no idea where and how to time the pump.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Jin Dong ZH1115 CGG 11 KW Stamford head
ChangChai S1100 10KW ST Head
DES 8/1 Listeroid 5KW ST head

dieselspanner

• View Profile
Re: Need help with Jiang Dong 1115
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 09:59:48 PM »
Before ripping into the head, try this.....
Check the air filter, and the level of the oil, you may well have a stuck ring or two.

Once the engine is running use a spray bottle to squirt water into the intake, over 5 minuets get a pint or so - half a litre - down it, don't do it to the point that the motor stops, but slowing it down a bit is ok, then let it run under load, give it 5 minuets.

Cheers
Stef

Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

Zeppole

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 10:39:27 PM »
Tried your suggestion but no love.  Beginning to wonder if the injector pump is the problem -- is there some way that the injector pump over fuels the engine?  I have literally clouds of dense white smoke!!

sirpedrosa

• 21NOV2019 - Finally I hear that sound... again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 12:03:22 AM »
Hi Zeppole, and all members

That white smoke sugests air shoke somewhere, I mean, the fuel is ok (and you tested the injector, OK), but the amount of air is not enough to burn the fuel injected completely.

Maybe intake valve not opening totaly!(?) - [Forget this one, it's non sense] - See rather intake manifold!

Keep shouting, and post to us.

BR
VP
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 10:59:52 AM by sirpedrosa »
By order of firing up:
Bernard 18A - 1968 (mama's water pump - year of my birth)
Petter PAZ1 - Jun 1967, 3HP, sn 416xxxx
Petter PAZ1 - Nov 1979, 3HP, sn 425xxxx
Lister 12/2 - 12651227, the pearl!
Deutz MAH 914, 1952 - Zündfix in chamber and go (7Mai2023).

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 06:52:05 AM »
Unless mice removed shims, it's unlikely the injector timing would have changed, I'd not mess with that.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 01:28:44 PM »
Hi Zeppole, an unusual problem you have there. I am with Mike in saying that the problem does not have anything to do with the injection pump or it`s timing, problems with the pump/timing would prevent your engine from starting.

That leaves a couple of possibilities, the first is that the fuel injector nozzle is weeping after the injector has finished delivering fuel. The fuel pump has a valve in it that is designed to maintain the fuel pressure in the fuel injector line. The fuel injector has a spring loaded valve in it which acts against the pressure in this fuel line, when the injector pump increases the pressure on every other crankshaft revolution the injector is expected to briefly open and then completely close. If it does not completely close it will continue to dribble fuel into the cylinder throughout the cycle and over fuel the engine causing the smoke you report.

Remove the injector, remove the fuel injector nozzle, clean thoroughly and reassemble. Do not tamper with the other end of the fuel injector or you will disturb the pop pressure and have to send it away for re-calibration.

I have never seen an air cooled 1115 so I am assuming your unit is water cooled. With that in mind, the other possibility is that the smoke you are experiencing is steam. This would not be good as it suggests that you may have got to your engine too late and you have frost damage. Start your engine and take the cap off the coolant tank, if you get bubbles you may have a serious problem, alternatively it might just be the head gasket.

Bob

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 04:54:15 PM »

I was thinking steam too.
Check the oil, is there any milky emulsion indicating water in the oil?
Also check the water.... any oil in it.?
A cracked head or a bad head gasket could cause this.
If you do remove the head and find a shiny clean piston (maybe wet) and a combustion chamber with very little carbon, it is highly likely that you have a leaking head gasket or a crack somewhere.
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

Zeppole

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 08:20:23 PM »
I may have found the problem.  I checked the oil level and it was WAY high -- drained some of it -- no milkiness but it felt like it was very thin and had a diesel smell.  I had left the fuel petcock open --- suspect that the injector pump leaked diesel into the sump.  I had been having problems with the engine keeping primed and now I think I know why -- again leaky injector pump.

With the amount of diesel in the sump I suspect some was bypassing the rings and/or valve guides creating the overfueling situation.  Ordering a new fuel pump and try that before pulling head.

By the way does anyone know of parts suppliers in the US for 1115 engines??  Also, looking for a source of banjo fitting copper sealing rings.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  After the new pump gets off the slow boat from China I'll update the post.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2019, 03:28:40 AM »
You may have dodged a “runaway” bullet there . . .

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2019, 10:14:15 AM »
Zeppole, very unusual for an injector pump to fail in such a spectacular way allowing fuel to dribble into the sump. If you examine the injector pump it should have the necessary numbers on it to allow you to order a new element for the existing pump.

Before reinstalling/replacing anything flush out you fuel tank, fuel lines and replace the fuel filter as this problem could only have been caused by a manufacturing/assembly fault or fuel contamination.

Bob

tiger

• Retired-Retarded-Work well with adult supervision
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2019, 03:52:03 AM »
I'm prone to the injector dribble theory.
Metro 12/2 ST 10 KW

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2019, 10:46:44 AM »
Looking at the basic layout, (don't have schematics, so might be way off track) I am more prone towards the leak coming from the bottom of the injector pump and making its way into the crankcase... Just my (less than) .000005c worth....
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

oldgoat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2019, 11:26:59 AM »
My Lister SL2 has a gravity feed tank and if I leave the fuel tap on it will drain the tank and dump it in the sump over a 3 month period.  These are pumps with new elements and only 100 hours on them

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2019, 02:39:15 PM »
Yep....Unlikely to be going down the center of the element then... Fuel could seep past the outside and down past the plunger possibly....
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

Zeppole

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2019, 08:15:52 PM »
Just a quick update.  I purchased a new fuel pump from WSE on AliExpress for roughly $45 and also installed a Racor style R12 fuel filter/water separator.  Just to make sure I didn't have a head gasket problem I pulled the head -- no sign of bypass but since I had a spare gasket went ahead and installed it.

All buttoned up now and it runs great.  Set up with a 11KW Stamford style head from Central Georgia.

At this point I believe the fuel pump was the culprit particularly in view of the over full sump with diesel present.

I was pleasantly surprised how fast the pump was delivered from China -- ordered on September 19 and received on Oct 10.  I've ordered spare head gaskets from WSE and price was pretty reasonable -- roughly $7.50 each.  I was interested to see that this engine has 6 head bolts vs. 4 head bolts found on most ZS1100 and ZS1115 engines.

Thanks for the input from everyone who posted and thanks to those who keep this forum going.