Puppeteer

Author Topic: Newly restored CS 6/1  (Read 675 times)

Sir Petteroid

• View Profile
Newly restored CS 6/1
« on: September 02, 2023, 10:17:54 AM »
Greetings. New member.
Recently finished full restoration.
Runs great. Very happy with the result. It's a 1964.
I bought it in unusually fine original condition after looking at various engines that were not so great.
Even the fuel tank is in good condition. Needed a rebore, new rings, small end bearing and valves and guides. Replaced the inlet cam. Reground the lifters.
Kept as much original paint as possible but resprayed the stuff that was really tired.
Lister CS 6/1
JKson 16/1
Yamaha WR250 R
A bunch of classic woodworking machinery and all the other stuff that goes with a rural lifestyle.

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
Re: Newly restored CS 6/1
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2023, 05:09:58 PM »
Very nice.
Will you be putting it to work?
Cheers
Hugh
JKSON6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1963 BMW R-27 project

Sir Petteroid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2023, 08:37:29 AM »
Yes. I have attached a Yanan single phase generator to it. Need to sort out the rpm because it's running under speed at the moment. Getting Rpm counter this week to figure out how far short I am. The carriage will need to be bolted down securely before I can adjust the governor. She bounces heavily when I try to increase the rpm.
I want to use her for back up generator and battery charging.
May try an aluminium piston down the track to reduce the vertical mass.
Will post a picture of current state of assembly.

Lister CS 6/1
JKson 16/1
Yamaha WR250 R
A bunch of classic woodworking machinery and all the other stuff that goes with a rural lifestyle.

Sir Petteroid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2023, 08:47:42 AM »
Very nice.
Will you be putting it to work?
Cheers
Hugh
[/quote
Sorry, I meant to reply to you specifically but I'm getting used to this format.
Anyway, here is the latest state of the project.
Lister CS 6/1
JKson 16/1
Yamaha WR250 R

Sir Petteroid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2023, 09:32:35 AM »
Some general information for those who may be interested.
My business is woodworking so I made the carriage out of Aussie hardwood, a species called black butt. Very tough, dense stuff. I mortise and tennoned the frame rather than use through bolts to keep the chassis stiffer and stronger.The frame for the generator is new Guinea rosewood. The belt tensioning bolts are made from 12mm metric threaded gal rod. The cast iron wheels are not as large as I would like but the price was right and they are double ball bearing. Not planning to move her around much once I've built the gen shed. I will cast a raised concrete plinth on the slab to bolt her to.
I've restored a lot of woodworking machinery over the years but this is my first
engine. I saw her for sale at a good price and had to have her.
The top of the cylinder bore was heavily stepped from a broken ring so I got the block resleeved. Pricey but worth the investment. So it's back to stock 4.5 inch bore.
It suffered some neglect in later years by the look of it. The block was totally clogged with rust, the valve seats and guides were needing attention.
Overall condition though was excellent. I tried to avoid over restoring it but couldn't resist polishing the brass and copper. The transfers are not the correct ones for the CS but they were all I could get.
I am not by any means an expert on engines. This is the first big engine I have ever rebuilt.

Lister CS 6/1
JKson 16/1
Yamaha WR250 R