Author Topic: Wanted listeroid in Alaska  (Read 5178 times)

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
Wanted listeroid in Alaska
« on: September 03, 2019, 04:48:44 PM »
Haven't been on here much since everybody told me running WMO would ruin my engine LOL
Glad it worked out for you. I no longer live in texas, I now live in Alaska. I am looking for a listeroid and a 3 kw st type generator head for my landlord. His electric bill s 800 to 900 a month. You can run a roid here 24/7 @ 300 rpm to charge batteries on straight diesel for under 300 dollars LOL. I want to set up a power plant for him.
I am not too concerned about condition, he is a diesel mechanic and parts are easy to get.
The shear depth of my shallowness is perplexing yet morbidly interesting. Bob 2007

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
Re: Wanted listeroid in Alaska
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 08:05:13 AM »
You might check this thread:
http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=8637.0
  engine sold as kit, convert from compressor to engine, and then bolt up a generator.
 Lots of views, many of us want to see it work, but many have also been burned by india too.

But I think for more reliable power , the chinfaga engines seem to be a better quality but higher RPM.

Listeroids loose a lot of heat between power strokes, and seem to suffer from getting carboned up,  But a little water injection helps ameliorate that problem.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 10:31:14 AM »
Hi Guys, I am a little concerned about using either of those water cooled engines in an environment where the temperatures can drop down to minus eighty centigrade in winter. I would be looking for an air cooled engine maybe a Lister ST or SR, more economical and very reliable in very cold conditions. They run at 1500 or 1800 RPM to meet your local generating requirements (50/60 HZ).

Bob

Tanman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 02:47:46 AM »
Hi Guys, I am a little concerned about using either of those water cooled engines in an environment where the temperatures can drop down to minus eighty centigrade in winter. I would be looking for an air cooled engine maybe a Lister ST or SR, more economical and very reliable in very cold conditions. They run at 1500 or 1800 RPM to meet your local generating requirements (50/60 HZ).

Bob

What environment is that? Antarctica? Lol the lowest temperature ever recorded on earth is close to that.
Kubota ea300
Metro 12/2

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 09:37:43 AM »
Hi Tanman, the clue is in the subject of the post "Wanted listeroid in Alaska". I have been to Canada in winter with temperatures down to minus 40 centigrade, I am guessing things are only going to get colder the further north you go. If Rbodell is serious about running a water cooled engine he is going to have to do it indoors or run it 24/7, alternatively he could put it on some sort of heated life support with a lot of antifreeze.

Bob

Tanman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 03:09:09 PM »
That makes sense
Kubota ea300
Metro 12/2

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2019, 03:20:26 AM »
For what it's worth, Despite what you may have heard, dog sled is not the only mode of transportation here in Alaska. We actually have automobiles airplanes and boats too. Up here we have his magic green liquid that when mixed with water, the water does not freeze. LOL

I also live on the kenai peninsula where the temperatures seldom get below zero for more than a day or so.

Haven't been on here much since everybody told me running WMO would ruin my engine LOL
Glad it worked out for you. I no longer live in texas, I now live in Alaska. I am looking for a listeroid and a 3 kw st type generator head for my landlord. His electric bill s 800 to 900 a month. You can run a roid here 24/7 @ 300 rpm to charge batteries on straight diesel for under 300 dollars LOL. I want to set up a power plant for him.
I am not too concerned about condition, he is a diesel mechanic and parts are easy to get.
The shear depth of my shallowness is perplexing yet morbidly interesting. Bob 2007

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2019, 04:35:42 AM »
Hey Bob! Good to hear from you! I had kept tabs on you and was aware that you had gone 'way up North, I think we had even corresponded after your move.
You seem to be the Guru of slow and slower when it comes to engines and getting by with less.
 At any rate Try Gary at Diesel Electric Service, dieselgman here on the forum. He is a Lister dealer has a place in Kansas and a place in Alaska. He is an importer of listeroids, and I think he still has a few Dursley originals in rebuildable shape.
Good luck!
Ron in Tennessee.

Here is his website with contact info          http://diesel-electric.us/
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 04:39:04 AM by vdubnut62 »
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."   Plato.

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 01:39:18 AM »

Bob

What environment is that? Antarctica? Lol the lowest temperature ever recorded on earth is close to that.
Lister/Petter used to test their air-cooled engines in Antarctica winters... dramatic extremes. We have supported them for decades in Alaska as well. Air-cooled does not make for easy startup, but they will start and run if you can warm up the lube oil plus intake manifold. Glow plugs and pre-heat plugs are a must.
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 04:01:06 AM »
Hey Bob! Good to hear from you! I had kept tabs on you and was aware that you had gone 'way up North, I think we had even corresponded after your move.
You seem to be the Guru of slow and slower when it comes to engines and getting by with less.
 At any rate Try Gary at Diesel Electric Service, dieselgman here on the forum. He is a Lister dealer has a place in Kansas and a place in Alaska. He is an importer of listeroids, and I think he still has a few Dursley originals in rebuildable shape.
Good luck!
Ron in Tennessee.

Here is his website with contact info          http://diesel-electric.us/
hay thanks for that, he is just up the road ( so to speak ) I am doing ok with what I have and I won't be around much longer, I just want to leave one for the guy who let me build this cabin on his land. He wants to get some land and build something remote for his kids and this would be perfect power plant. I got the land covered and this all he needs for the power plant.