Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lister SR1  (Read 4157 times)

Listerix

• View Profile
Lister SR1
« on: September 02, 2019, 06:25:42 PM »
Hi
I'm new here and come from Finland. I bought a week ago Lister SR1 startomatic 3kW aircooled engine with generator. I bought it from a young man and he didnt know about it too much. Old man who used it died five years ago. I did start it by hand crank and it started old diesel ok and ran also. The decompression did not work automaticly. So i looked it on weekend. Decomression solenoid looked little burned inside it started working when i put battery (12V) but i think it worked too fast when pushing the start button. Almost immeatedly it took decomp off is there any way to delay that? The engine started but when cold i think it would be lot better to turn engine a bit and get the oil around. Other strange thing happend also what didnt happen without battery. The gas lever or what its called it has a spring tension and engine was like a shut down mode. It didnt run without holding gas on or if i took the spring off then it kept running.
I did adjust the decomression but i need a new parts. The rod was worn on the upper side theres kinda fork what was loose. Do you know where to get that. Air and oil filter and i think few gasgets also. I try to link photos here so you know what i mean. Thank you.

Listerix

• View Profile
Re: Lister SR1
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 07:37:30 PM »
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 07:48:02 PM by Listerix »

saba

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 01:49:05 AM »
Give it some time there's a lot of people in australia on this forum. I have a cs start o matic as I remember it's 24V. If you google som, start o matic, startomatic you should be able to find some drawings.
Greetings Bernhard

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 10:05:49 AM »
Hi Listerix, and welcome. Congratulations on your recent purchase. The fuel control solenoid is a 12 volt unit it has two coils and a small built in relay, it can be overridden using the lever on the front of the engine, lift the lever up and lock it in the run position using the spring loaded pin. The decompression solenoid is a 240 volt unit and act against a spring, as the engine spins up during battery starting the generator head starts to produce electricity which disengages the decompression lever, allowing the engine to start. This can also be operated manually by removing the spring.

All spares should still be available from Gary (Dieselgman) who runs Diesel Electric Services in the USA.

Good luck,
Bob

Listerix

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 07:48:46 PM »
Thank you Bob

On the engine decompession i have only thin spring on a short shaft there and its not strong enough. I have to put another string there on upper side of the rod what goes to valvelifter. Manually it works just fine but i want the autostart to get work also. One problem i think is that i dont have any kind of manual so ordering parts is just guessing...

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 11:42:38 PM »
Hi Listerix, Gary should also be able to hook you up with a workshop manual.

Bob

Listerix

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2019, 08:41:51 AM »
Ok. Thank you all.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2019, 10:58:35 AM »
Hi Listerix, I have a some knowledge about the ST series engines, the SR engine was very similar but had a lower output. I have attached a couple of photos of the decompressor spring on my ST2. The spring is the same as for the single cylinder engine, the linkage between the two decompressor levers has a slot in it so that one decompression lever is activated before the other, thus the ability to utalise the same spring. I also have posted a photo of the relay in the top of the fuel shut off solenoid.

Bob

Listerix

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 10:33:51 AM »
Thanks alot ajaffa1

That spring is what i was looking for. I dont have it in my engine so have to put one. I have to check the relay also. Thanks

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 11:12:45 AM »
You are welcome, if you need any other information please let us know.

Bob