Lister Engines > Original Lister Cs Engines

oil seal Lister CS8-1

(1/4) > >>

vegoil:
can anyone tell me if it is possible to renew the two oil seals on a Lister CS8-1. one located above the oil pump (on the engine) and the other below the injector pump, without having to remove the flywheel and the housing over the governor.
is the oil seal pressed in from the out side or the inside of the housing.

regards

John

ajaffa1:
Hi John, I`m assuming that this is a genuine Lister unit, in which case there is only one seal in the bottom of the governor assembly cover. It is pressed in from the outside. It is possible to replace this seal by undoing the oil pump, removing the plunger and then levering out the old seal. A new seal can then be drifted into place. It would be worth examining the shaft on the plunger for wear or corrosion, a new seal will achieve nothing if the shaft is worn or pitted.

The fuel pump tappet and the brass camshaft bush do not have oil seals as the engine maintains a negative crankcase pressure via the diaphragm in the crankcase breather assembly. If you are having oil leaks check the condition of the steel diaphragm, if it is damaged the crankcase may develop a positive air pressure and blow oil out of every orifice.

Bob

vegoil:
Thanks for the advice ,I am not going to get to it for a while but I will let you know how I get on. this is an genuine CS

Regards

John

ajaffa1:
Good luck John, spares are available from various sources depending on what country you live in, happy to point you in the right direction.

Bob

vegoil:
Hi bob

I have taken of the oil pump and was going to pull down the plunger above the oil pump to renew the seal the one with the flat plate on the bottom, the one marked number 5 on the pump diagram.
Is there something that holds it in because it only drops down 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch then solid! Is there a retaining screw or do you just use more fores.
I have a new plunger on order it should be here on Saturday so need to get the worn one out to renew it and the seal I am also giving the oil pump an over-hall withe a new parts kit.

John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version