Author Topic: Another generator not generating  (Read 1446 times)

guest23837

Another generator not generating
« on: August 20, 2019, 02:20:05 PM »
So I went to buy a Honda E1500 and came home with a Kipor diesel generator (photo attached) I was told it needed a new AVR so I fitted a new one but no power. So far I have cleaned the slip rings and tried to flash it with a battery charger. I get about 3 volts from each winding and 25 from the brushes with the engine running. Is this too high?
As usual I'm stuck with what is probably a minor electrical problem. I suppose it's possible that the AVR is dodgy even if it's new its Chinese.
Any suggestions? Thanks

glort

• View Profile
Re: Another generator not generating
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 12:24:33 AM »

Those Kipor's have gained a good reputation here. another China special that is making inroads into the traditional Honda/ Yamaha market because they are 1/3rd the price and by most accounts just as reliable.

The one you have looks like it's done some hours.  Those China Diesels are noisy things too not that it would matter much on a job site.

You can never assume something is good just because it's new but it's a pain to order another to find you have 3 good ones now.
Just check for broken wires and bad connections and go from there.

I have a similar thing on the Kubota I recently bought. there is power coming from the alternator and that's about where the function of the electric system stops. No key start but the starter is fine and no battery charging.  Pretty much just as easy as to tear all the wiring out and start again.

Let us know what you find. At least these things will run ok On a veg oil blend.

guest23837

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 12:51:01 AM »
It seems to have had a loose injection pump too and leaked oil thats been fixed and the oil is drained. It needs cleaned thats easy . I read somewhere that if you have more than 5 volts at the brushes the rotor is gone. Is this true.  It says silent on the front of it and it's way quieter than the Yanmar L48 or the Chinese clone. It would be nice to get it making power so more experiments tomorrow. I read about a way to test an AVR so thats the first job after an oil change.

guest23837

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 01:39:05 PM »
So I changed the oil didnt have a new filter so cleaned up the one that was in it. Seemed to be too much oil in it anyhoo connected the battery to the brushes and ran it. There is only a couple of volts coming out of the wires from the AVR to the brushes so Im assuming the AVR is junk? I ordered a new AVR, it's coming from the UK so it might work.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 10:33:52 PM »

guest23837

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 10:37:12 PM »
Thanks Glort I already watched that video, in it she said that if the voltage from the brushes was over 10v it needed a new rotor, It's not something thats off the shelf here and I suspect it would cost the price of a cheap used generator.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 10:54:58 PM »

You could try fleabay or Alli express.  Some of the stuff like that is surprisingly economical.

I had a quick look on ali and didn't see anything for rotors ( although the all plastic cam shaft was a worry!) but sometimes you have to dig and get the right obscure terminology to find what you want.

Failing that, You have an engine you can couple to an alternator for 12 or 24V battery charging.  You might want to keep  the end of the rotor and Cut it off if the engine has the tapered shaft as they can be  hard to get adaptors for.  You can always weld the end oc the rotor on after you have had it checked and turned down to a standard size if need be.

guest23837

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2019, 09:43:39 PM »
Kinda thinking what you would do Glort I took the alternator apart. One of the wires going to the slip rings had detached. I soldered it on (not great at soldering) and now it's producing 5 volts at the brushes. It's not making any power but I'm wary of the AVR and there is a new one winging its way to me from Scotland I'll update when it's here.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2019, 07:59:17 AM »

Nothing like the satisfaction of finding an easy fix to repair something!  :laugh:

I have been amazed over the years at the things I have found chucked out that took 5 Minutes and $1 to restore to full working condition.

Hope the AVR Fixes the thing for you mate.  They seem to be a common problem so I'd say the odds are in your favour.

I have noticed those things seem to have Jumped a lot in price.  Few years back they were around the $20 mark generally. Now they seem more like $50 and above.
Last time I got one was for the Brother in law. Had an Onan he was going to ditch because a genuine AVR was over $500.  The Chinese Cheapie fixed the thing perfectly.

Of course had I been a smart person, I'd have said nothing, Offered him a couple of hundred Dollars for it and put the new AVR in myself and had a very cheap Gen set.   :-[