• View Profile
Re: Tesla
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2019, 02:47:30 AM »
0 - 100 Ks in 1.9 seconds. What’s not to enjoy

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2019, 04:44:57 AM »
I'm more interested in something much more modest and lightweight and with a range of 70 miles... if only I could manage a couple hours in one without getting wrecked.  It's about 26 miles to the nearest grocery store.  A bit over 30 miles to a decent one.

I'm interested in pancake motors; no rotating ferrous materials/magnets so by one ME's report, very low stray field.  I'm not familiar with the non-brushed pancake configuration yet.

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2019, 04:51:34 PM »
I am a fan of electric vehicles and I like the idea of a centrally managed clean power plant (like natural gas).
Where I have issue is with most of the people I chat with think that the world atmospheric issues will quickly be solved if we were to switch to electric cars, wind turbines, and solar panels. Nothing could be further from the truth.
The massive amounts of raw materials needed to make an automobile do not change much between Internal Combustion and electric machines.
Engine components are replaced my semiconductors made in chip factories requiring exotic mined minerals and power hungry climate controlled robotics environments. Regardless of being EV or IC, billions of gallons of diesel and terrawatts of dirty electricity are used every year to mine the steel, run the factories, deliver the vehicles, make the tires,...etc..etc
Our current civilization is now built on long distance travel (even to get a pint of milk) and all the EV does is change a small part of the mode of travel.
The rest of the mega-infastructure remains and would take 100 years to reverse if there were sufficient collective and cooperative desire to reverse it.
The argument that EV's are a key step to controlling global warming does not hold water with me.
CO2 is only 4% of our total atmosphere and cannot possibly contribute enough to heat it up the way climate alarmists are claiming.
Secondly C02 has a logarithmic heat property where by doubling the amount of C02 only results in 1/2 the gain in greenhouse heating capability.
If doubling world C02 from 200 ppm to 400 ppm creates a rise of 1 deg C, then a another 1 deg C increase would take a doubling again from 400 ppm to 800 ppm. And 1 more degree would take a doubling from 800 ppm to 1600 ppm, and so on.
This is a known fact by the majority of climate scientists and it's beginning to create a huge rift between the alarmists and those who disagree that man made  C02 is causing the warming.
I apologize in advance for my C02 rant and I remain open to any friendly scientific debate on my current thinking.

Back to EV's...
It's just another form of transport that will do little to help the planet. HOWEVER...it may revitalize the auto industry ! Money, jobs, taxes.
And yes, as a "spanner head" I look forward to having a small electric car soon that I can charge with my Listeroid or my solar panels as well as the local grid which is natural gas powered.
But I don't think I will be helping the planet much. The biggest help would be to not buy another car at all... of any kind.
IMHO the bigger problems which need attention are ocean over fishing, waste chemical pollution, and mega factory animal farming.

Phew !
Sorry

« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 07:56:03 PM by veggie »
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

veggie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2019, 04:59:56 PM »
I'm more interested in something much more modest and lightweight and with a range of 70 miles... if only I could manage a couple hours in one without getting wrecked.  It's about 26 miles to the nearest grocery store.  A bit over 30 miles to a decent one.

I'm interested in pancake motors; no rotating ferrous materials/magnets so by one ME's report, very low stray field.  I'm not familiar with the non-brushed pancake configuration yet.

Re: Pancakes

I have always been intrigued by pancake generators and axial flux generators. I don't have the ability to build one into the flywheel of my Lister like this fellow did. But I do like the idea of it being integral to the engine with no belts and pulleys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyJYdHzwsy4

veggie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2019, 07:31:12 PM »
I told you I am a Tesla Fan Boy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGA5UsTLWt8

Casey, help me out here...

No disrespect intended ...
These points about being able to play retro video games and connect to the web for software updates all seem like "fluff" to me.
... And 0 to 100 in 1.9 seconds should be a concerning issue to the ecologically minded.
To achieve that kind of acceleration with that weight of car takes around 450HP.
That's 450HP of electricity instantly drained from the battery which must now be charged (probably by a coal fired generating plant if you live in the US, or maybe Nuclear) earlier than it would if the car were limited to say 180HP.
So it's really no different that dropping a 400HP internal combustion engine into a new Ford Mustang and putting it on the market.

As I said earlier, I like EV's, I just don't see them as a solution to the real issues that face us.
What factor am I missing in the EV pardigm?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 07:56:47 PM by veggie »

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2019, 08:44:39 PM »
I can only agree that renewables are only a small part of the puzzle...and I wish we'd get back on where we left off around 1972 with the vastly safer, non-pressurized liquid fluoride thorium reactor (LFTR) at Oak Ridge.  It's a proven and highly efficient design that could use the waste from rare earth mining tailings, so no new mining would be needed for hundreds of years.  The amount of radioactive waste is also a tiny fraction of the fast breeder reactors, and it's nearly impossible to get bomb material from them. We are using the first successful design for nuclear submarines for our power plants 50 years later, and ignored all the safety warnings in our lust for nuclear weapons.  Pressurized water, fast breeder reactors are nuts for civilian use.

The notion that since CO2 is only 4% thus can't be the problem makes me think you benefit from reading more on the subject that is peer reviewed science.  There's this thing called the Dunning Kruger effect...

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2019, 09:21:21 PM »

Re: Pancakes

I have always been intrigued by pancake generators and axial flux generators. I don't have the ability to build one into the flywheel of my Lister like this fellow did. But I do like the idea of it being integral to the engine with no belts and pulleys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyJYdHzwsy4

That is one smart, rich chap.  Look at all the beautiful Outback gear

Re the environment etc, democracy is its own worst enemy in that the fear of "losing the next election" is what drives politicians/decision makers (See Winston Churchill for options, sadly)

As a rural dweller who travels widely in our small country I have watched our primary dairy industry wreck big chunks of our environment while our "leaders" stood and applauded the contribution that industry makes to our economy.  Who can blame them?  Voters will throw them off the Treasury Benches if they do anything that threatens our standard of living

The poor old planet (IMHO) needs less people using/wasting less stuff.  The debate over what % of the solution RVs might be, or what contribution clean nuclear might make, or how much of the available water the Dairy Industry should be allowed to use - these (again IMHO) will all be sideshows until we as a species adopt a "stewardship" viewpoint rather than a "consumer" one

I wonder what the average age of the folks on this forum is?  And, even though we have diverse viewpoints, perhaps, as a group, we might be characterised as "thoughtful"?  But I doubt many of us are influential

Our children and grandchildren will have to deal with the mess we started somewhere in the consumer-driven growth after WW2 when the world seemed young & its bounties endless

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2019, 02:57:12 AM »
I'd forgotten about the pancake type motor as a popular wind turbine due to lack of cogging.  Not much power to be had at low winds where cogging is a concern but at least something.

veggie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2019, 03:53:12 PM »
"I stood in the back yard yesterday and could see the furthermost trees I can see blowing clearly in 3 different directions at the same time.
How the heck does that work??"

I'm guessing you were at the boundary of two large wind fronts each in a different direction (also the cause of tornado rotation), or you were in a large downdraft area where cool air is rapidly displacing warmer ground air. In any case, it sounds like it was very windy  ;D
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 03:55:17 PM by veggie »

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2019, 03:56:36 PM »
Your winds sound like ours.  We have what are called dust devils here in the warmer months;  tiny thermally driven tornadoes that can start suddenly, move erratically, throw stuff in all directions, then disappear. One time at my last home one picked up an upside down canoe nestled against the lee of the  house, spun it around and stuffed one end through the steel siding into my portland cement plaster on steel lathe wall.   Our spring winds are ferocious. My last home was on a ridge, with great views and gusts to 100mph each spring.  My current home is in a hollow, with hills on three sides, facing rock formations on the north.  I still have a D-ring in the concrete patio on the south, with wrought iron table and chairs tied down, though they are nestled between hill and house south wall.  Winds are 10-15 mph less in the hollow, which helps greatly.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2019, 04:37:53 PM »
you take your axial flux gen head and wrap it around the flywheels:
http://www.windsine.org/2017/02/07/listeroid-backup-generator/

build links are at archive.org

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2019, 07:50:34 PM »
Dear Group,

I often remind my brothers and sisters:
     Psychological projection is a defense mechanism people subconsciously employ in order to cope with difficult feelings or emotions. Psychological projection involves projecting undesirable feelings or emotions onto someone else, rather than admitting to or dealing with the unwanted feelings.Nov 15, 2017
Psychological Projection: Dealing With Undesirable Emotions
https://www.everydayhealth.com/.../psychological-projection-dealing-with-undesirable-e...  (Links don't C&P well)

The conservative mind and the need to villainize the messenger.  It's fun to witness and sends up the flag of caution.  I also like the ratio of ill thoughts to the threat of the message.
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2019, 08:23:03 PM »
Aloha BruceM,

Thank you for the kind words.  I'm far less concerned about being disrespected than snorting diesel smoke while caught in traffic.  While my Fiat almost stops while stopped the busses do not.

I don't have a proper answer to the wants of children.  I don't know why so many cars focus on useless acceleration.  I bought my Bosch powered Fiat because it seemed rational.  Even it jumps out from under me.  Oh, Tesla has re-specked the new roadster to 2.1 seconds to about 60 MPH.  Far more sane huh?

The video games only work when the Teslas is motionless.  The games do not use the accelerator pedal.  Do you have a car that has a radio?  Maps?

Regardless if we're frying eggs or accelerating full throttle in a Tesla roadster the grid needs cleaning.  This is not a reflection of the electric car but rather on the grid.  Please, let's not assume fossil fuel production is without sin.  It's a nasty dirty business with many victims.  And like other sellers of addictive substances they will suppress the truth via lies, conspiracy and denial.  My understanding is that there is 4 KW in every gallon of gasoline.

Another thesis is that large scale energy programs can be more friendly than small ones.  Now who does that serve?

Wouldn't it be neat if we lived in a world where everything is true and good.  If you find that world please email me.  The point you're missing with EVs is that they are created by homo sapiens.  And you know about the infestation they are bringing to the planet.  I think the planet just might be fighting back. 
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2019, 10:00:16 PM »
Dear Group,

I often remind my brothers and sisters:
     Psychological projection is a defense mechanism people subconsciously employ in order to cope with difficult feelings or emotions. Psychological projection involves projecting undesirable feelings or emotions onto someone else, rather than admitting to or dealing with the unwanted feelings.Nov 15, 2017
Psychological Projection: Dealing With Undesirable Emotions
https://www.everydayhealth.com/.../psychological-projection-dealing-with-undesirable-e...  (Links don't C&P well)

The conservative mind and the need to villainize the messenger.  It's fun to witness and sends up the flag of caution.  I also like the ratio of ill thoughts to the threat of the message.

A sometimes amusing, often tiresome, always over-the-top display of the combination of deep insecurity with narcissism - that's what we're watching

I was gonna say "you could write a book"  but all you'd really have to do is cut-and-paste lol