Puppeteer

Author Topic: Is barbeque lighting fluid naptha?  (Read 490 times)

Johndoh

• View Profile
Is barbeque lighting fluid naptha?
« on: August 01, 2019, 10:43:13 PM »
I was told by Glort et al that petrol stabilizer is basically naptha. I have been using paintbrush cleaner however I see barbeque  lighting fluid is very cheap. There's no list of ingredients does anyone know if its naptha?
It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness

glort

• View Profile
Re: Is barbeque lighting fluid naptha?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 12:07:16 AM »

The BBQ lighting fluid does not seem nearly as popular here as it is in the states judging by the amount of times I see it in vids and mentioned.
I also notice that the US has yet to discover Matches or Disposable lighters as everyone seems to use blow torches whenever they want to light anything in the US. 

I imagine the easiest way to find out what is in the lighting fluid would be to  google the MSDS sheet for the different brands and see what they put in it.

Naptha would certainly be a candidate with the properties it has.
We tend to use old newspaper and Kindling here to light fires with matches and Lighters but I see that technology hasn't caught on everywhere either.   :laugh:

Johndoh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 01:01:38 AM »
We do have matches old newspapers and pallets for kindling to light fires! I don't want the fluid to light a barbeque on the 2 sunny days we get here in Ireland annually. I want to use something to stabilize petrol for the mower and the petrol generators. The data sheet just says hydrocarbons so no help there.

https://www.bartoline.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/BARBECUE-LIGHTING-FLUID-SDS10059.pdf

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 02:51:41 AM »

Looks like that one may be substantially Kerosene.

Can you not buy bottles of Naptha in hardware stores there? I wonder if maybe somewhere like a racing fuel supplier could get or have it or maybe even cleaning Supply places?

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 04:10:26 AM »
I have access to the fuel pump at the local airfield, and get avi gas 100octane no alcohol for about 50 cents more than at the gas station.  And it's got 1 year shelf life.   All the power tools love it.

Johndoh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 08:46:39 AM »
Naptha  Benzine etc aren't available to the public in Ireland and they contain "known carcinogens" unlike cigarettes and diesel etc!

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2019, 08:57:58 AM »
IMHO this stuff is good

https://www.goldeagle.com/brands/sta-bil/

I use it in generators and other seldom-used stuff

I guess there will be an equivalent over there

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 09:32:38 AM »
IMHO this stuff is good

https://www.goldeagle.com/brands/sta-bil/

I'll bet it is good.  Looking at the data sheet, surprisingly it's predominantly........

Naptha.     :laugh:

I have never used stabiliser and never had a problem with storing engines over winter and longer.  Then again, we are able to get the Ethanol substantially free fuel here which I use not the other hygroscopic rubbish. 

If one could only get ethacrap laced fuel I would suggest one of 2 things:

Drain tanks/ carbs/ fuel systems before putting the machinery away or:
Pre wash the fuel.

Putting water in the ethanol fuel will remove the alcohol. Put in about 25% water to fuel, give it a shake, let them settle out, decant fuel off the top.
I have heard it said the water might wash out additives in the fuel but I find that unlikely.  All the additives you find are oil not water based so won't be dissolved into the wash water.

A bit of 2 stroke in the fuel wouldn't hurt either as that would leave a film that would help prevent corrosion in carb bowls etc when the fuel evaporated out.  30:1 isn't going to foul any plugs or do anything bar add some useful lubricity to the fuel.
If the fuel couldn't be drained, I'd be sealing  the fuel system up as much as possible with cling wrap under the filler cap and pinching off any breathers.
It's the air and humidity that sends fuel off, it will keep for a long while in a sealed drum.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2019, 09:35:37 AM »
FWIW I have five or six Chinese/Honda gensets.  I use Stabil cos sometimes they won't get used for a year or so.  But also I store them brim full of gas

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2019, 11:27:51 AM »
But also I store them brim full of gas

Which as long as you aren't using an ethanol laced fuel is also good practice and one you may have picked up from heavy machinery operators. They fill the tanks of equipment when it is shut down for the day so when everything cools down, there is no moisture laden air drawn into the fuel tanks which may condense and cause various problems.

One reason I like Diesels.
I fired up my Lombardini the other day which I haven't touched in the 2 Years since I have been here.
Fired first pull as always.

dax021

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2019, 04:57:57 PM »
Here in South Africa a lot of guys swear that throwing mothballs in your tank increases the octane rating.  Mothballs are mainly naptha.

Johndoh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2019, 05:38:04 PM »
We can get the B&S stabiliser here 10 for 100mil