Puppeteer

Author Topic: The GM90 Listeroid Variant  (Read 4557 times)

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
The GM90 Listeroid Variant
« on: July 31, 2019, 12:59:21 AM »
For those who have heard of the GM90 Listeroid but don't know what it is, here is some information.
It's basically a smaller version of the CS Lister.
It puts out the same HP but at higher speeds which are achieved by using an aluminum piston and direct injection.
Many of the GM90's came with the spoke-less "stover" type flywheels which were very well balanced for higher speeds.
They develop their advertised HP at 900 rpm.
Here is one running at that speed...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbpiYeCJbNs

I run my own GM90 at much lower speeds (like 550).  ;)

Sensitive Ind. (Satyajeet) GM90 page:
Here you can read the specifications and sizes available.
This site is obsolete but it does show the original advert.
http://web.archive.org/web/20080610093029/http://www.satyajeet.com/de2.htm

Topland Engines GM90 (Or "little giant") page:
Also known as the Mini Lister.
http://www.topland-india.com/products/engine/htm/engine_3.htm

Pictures: (Click on the picture to enlarge)
A cutaway of the GM90 engine.
A size comparison between a full sized Lister and the smaller GM90. (30% smaller)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 01:25:38 AM by veggie »
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

Desiel

• View Profile
Re: The GM90 Listeroid Variant
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 11:44:01 AM »
Interesting, the cutaway shows a fully counter weighted  crankshaft.

veggie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 02:10:48 PM »

Yes, the crank has counterweights, and the flywheels do not have any offset weighting.

Tanman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 02:40:58 PM »
What are the biggest pros and cons of a CS vs a GM90?
Kubota ea300
Metro 12/2

Desiel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2019, 04:00:51 PM »
Pros........ smaller footprint, lighter weight,  probably well balanced and solid stover flywheels, internal oil pump supplying oil.
Cons......... 900 RPM, direct injection does not like alternate fuels, harder to get parts because of the poor interchangeability with standard sized CS's.

veggie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2019, 05:01:00 PM »
The GM90 uses an injector pump and injector almost identical to the larger CS model. (May be the same)
It seems to handle alternate fuels like Veg Oil very well.
I have seen several installations where WVO was used as a fuel.
Like this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvIv-6vky4Y

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 03:35:29 AM »
Are all the parts and assembly done in Rajkot, or are the GM90's made elsewhere in India?

Tanman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 02:32:50 PM »
What would be the main parts you would stock? I would assume bearings, piston rings, a second fuel pump. What would be your recommendations?
Kubota ea300
Metro 12/2

veggie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2019, 08:06:53 PM »
Are all the parts and assembly done in Rajkot, or are the GM90's made elsewhere in India?

I think they all come form Rajkot. The home of precision high performance engines.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2019, 10:10:13 PM »

I think they all come form Rajkot. The home of precision high performance engines.

8) 8)  8)
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2019, 07:44:24 AM »
Bear with me a moment while I collect my thoughts . . . .

Now, I'm not someone who owns cars (sedans).  I'm someone who owns station wagons because of how I live

And because I have specific requirements of my wagons (work hard; don't use too much gas; serve reliably . . . )  I buy Toyotas - Camrys mostly.  Corollas if buying for other folks

But if I was going to buy a sedan, I'd buy the top-of-the-line Camry, the Lexus ES300.  They're made in Japan, and they were built when Toyota's Kaizen philosophy was still the beating heart and soul of their manufacturing guiding principles

Think of it like this:  If someone in the USA buys, say, a 2007 ES300 which is made in Japan - that buyer has a better-than-even chance that his Lexus will last for 350,000 miles.  There are thousands with over 400,000 miles "on the clock", and many with over 500,000 miles on the original engines and transmissions.

(Check out this one with 1,000,000 kilometres - 600,000 miles - under its belt) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75YcIEyWmco

But if the same American-based buyer purchases a Kentucky-built Toyota/Lexus; while his car is still twice the machine a new Buick, Dodge or Chrysler will ever be - it's more likely to be a 250-300,000 mile proposition

Equally, of the many 300,000+ kilometre Camrys I have had, the Japanese-built ones (Gracias) hit 300,000 Ks with the interiors in excellent shape - apart from the damage done by owners' children and pets - while the Australian-built machines - which share the same body parts & drivetrain, but which have been assembled in Australia with Australian trim - have collapsed door-cards covers and fallen-down hood linings.  Not just some of them.  ALL of them

Now, the American blue-collar assembly worker is just like the Japanese white-overall assembly worker or the grey-overall Aussie assembly worker:  He goes to work, he eats his lunch, he performs to the standard set by his superiors and he builds cars with the components he is given.  It's just that the component quality control and the worker-training and quality control in the old Kaizen factories were head and shoulders above almost anything else in the world.  That's why a 20-year old Toyota is probably still ticking along just nicely, thank you, while a 6-year old Chrysler or BMW is making horrible noises whenever its transmission shifts and it's poor owner (soon to be poorer) is wondering how to pay for a $4500 transmission rebuild . . .

Thus it is in Rajkot, too.  Those blokes go to work, they assemble engines as instructed by their bosses, they eat their lunch & they go home

If their boss gives them a sledge-hammer to fit Gib keys, or teaches them to just paint over casting sand residue . . .

I'm just saying - in my long-winded way - that it isn't the worker who is at fault; and I, personally, tend not to laugh unkindly at him . . .

George A

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2019, 01:34:18 AM »
For some time I've been looking for another diesel to play with.......something smaller than a CS, like a Petteroid. i've seen the GM90 in advertisements and discussions, but had NO idea they were a smaller balanced version of the CS! The size and smooth running are impressive indeed, so it looks like someone takes engineering and assembly serious in India.

Don't get me wrong. I like my Vidhata, as it's been a very "lucky" engine. Once started and settled down it runs pretty darn nice and puts out 2500 watts, which has been tested in real life power outage scenarios....BUT, a "baby brother" CS? Wow.

I suppose the same glowing wisdom of the EPA applies to this engine too, right? :-[

I've joined "the dark side"....if it has a spark plug, it's obsolete technology.

veggie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2019, 02:29:25 PM »
I suppose the same glowing wisdom of the EPA applies to this engine too, right? :-[

Yes, they are classed exactly like the CS listeroids as far as the EPA is concerned.