Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lister ST1 becomes hard to hand crank.  (Read 7098 times)

BruceM

• View Profile
Re: Lister ST1 becomes hard to hand crank.
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2019, 01:16:34 AM »
It's unlikely to be the injection pump if it runs fine once started.

Things that affect diesel starting are compression, injection timing, spray pattern, valve timing ...also for an engine that runs well once started, air getting into the injection pump/fuel line is a common problem.   The latter possibility becomes more likely if it is easy to start if run recently...as it would take some time for the air to slowly get into the line. Slow weeps of diesel fuel in lines, filter or at IP are also an indicator of air being your culpret.

The spray pattern should be checked as it's easy.  Pull the injector, loosen the high pressure line and swing it away from the cylinder, reinstall injector.  Being careful to avoid injecting fuel into your skin, use a coffee can or similar and watch the pattern while cranking. It should be a pulse of fine fog-like particles.  A big of crud on the tip of the injector can foul things up, and yes, you could have a problem with a 2 mos old injector nozzle.

For valve and IP timing, you should check the manual.  It's possible that having it off a bit will still allow it to run OK, but be hard to start.  While your injector is out and connected, you can slowly crank and see where it's firing relative to TDC on the flywheel, assuming it's marked.  Retarded injection timing will normally cause a loss of power and sluggishness to respond to throttle. Advanced injection timing will cause more diesel knock.

I don't have an ST-1 so these are only generalities, but I've seen them all on my other diesel engines.

The exhaust valve is now suspect since your failure was started by the decompressor getting out of adjustment.  I'd sure listen to that carefully while it was pulled through compression, even going as far as pulling the exhaust pipe or manifold to hear better.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2019, 07:04:56 AM »
Sounds right too but what is "GP's" never heard of this abbreviation.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2019, 12:29:39 PM »
Hi Wess123, sorry to read that you are still having problems. I have a copy of the original service/maintenance manual. Sadly I cant post it to the forum because it is too large a file, send me a PM and I will try to email it to you.

Bob

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2019, 07:32:29 AM »
Cheers Glort, now I know what gp is.

Try to avoid feeding either down the throat of any engine on a regular basis. It will shorten what life it has left and is an indication it is low on compression or needs a major service on the injectors and pump.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

wess123

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2019, 08:10:04 PM »
Hello guys
i checked all the syspect components but the fuel pump and nothing seems out of the ordinary, can anyone tell me how to check and/or how to adjust the fuel pump?
thanks in advance

scott p

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2019, 07:33:38 PM »
Here are some lousy, barely  readable but still better than nothing picture I took with my ancient cell. Hope you have some way to zoom them.

scott p

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2019, 07:51:38 PM »
I see the resolution is over the top but let me know if you need this information but can't work with it. I can tone down the resolution  and try again. Two more attachments.

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2019, 07:46:57 AM »
Pull the injector out and reconnect it so you can see the spray pattern when you crank the engine.

If the pattern is good then it's likely both pump and injector are good.

If it's not then it could be either, take the injector to the local shop and get it tested, if the injector is good, repeat the test and probably the pump, or it's pluming,is at fault.

Just 'cos the injector is fairly new doesn't mean it's not playing up.

Might help!

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

scott p

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2019, 08:21:56 AM »
You put me on the defensive glort .
         This is how it works for me. I use windows XP. I put my pointer on the images here in this forum  and right click. I then select save image as and pick a place to put it in my computer.  All I have to do then is point and click on the saved image and windows picture and fax loads it automatically. I can then zoom it in and am able to read what I posted. A couple of those pictures are high def and don't need zooming but they were taken on a much better camera.
     I see where I have redundancy and didn't  send one of the pictures so here is that one. All of this may be academic anyway as wess123 may already have this stuff.

guest23837

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2019, 02:36:51 PM »
Just curious, when was the engine last decoked?