Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lister d timing  (Read 5141 times)

Newbie00

• View Profile
Lister d timing
« on: June 17, 2019, 08:27:33 PM »
Hi guys, I’m having a bit of an issue as I’m new to this which is why i want your guys help my lister d will run then cut out and not start anymore but do you think this is due to timing or would the engine not start at all. Many thanks newbie.

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Lister d timing
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 10:16:44 PM »
Could be a faulty spark plug/magneto, which is giving out a weaker and weaker spark as it gets hot. Once it cools again, I presume she starts.

Another option is you've got poor fuel flow to the carburettor, so the float bowl empties & the engine stops. In time, it re-fills & the engine starts again...

When the engine is running, how does it sound? Good? A bit hit-n-miss? Wheezy? Black smoke? Does it seem to labour before it stops, or does it just suddenly cut out? Is it stiff to turn after it stops? How good is the compression when starting from cold, and when you try to re-start after it's stalled?

Other, more skilled people than me, will probably also have a bunch of questions for you. Also - feel free to post a picture or two. We love pictures :)
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 11:06:51 AM »
Hi Newbie00, welcome to the forum. Your issues could be caused by a whole host of problems. If it starts and runs OK for a while it is probably fuel or spark related. The easiest way to identify spark related issues is to start it after dark, if the spark is leaking to ground somewhere you will be able to see it and replace/repair the offender. If it is fuel related then you are best to start with the easiest and work your way up to the most difficult. Start with fuel lines and filters before trying to rebuild the carburetor.

Good luck, let us know what you discover,

Bob

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 12:43:07 PM »
This is all good information offered to you so far. Start your engine and have some start ya bastard handy. When the engine starts to die give it a squirt and if it picks up you know your spark is good and you have a fuel problem.
Does the engine start easily from cold? If so then your timing is good.
If it seems to be spark this is where it starts to be fun. A leaking coil (spark going to ground) even inside the coil itself and may not be able to be seen in the dark or otherwise as it is under the cap. A bad condensor can cause this as can dirty or wrongly adjusted points. What make and model magneto do you have, this may help in getting you running again. Try another spark plug as well. I always have spare plugs handy to suit my engines as it helps eliminate that issue. There are a couple of options for you if you have a condensor issue and are a simple fix.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 01:04:36 PM »
Very good advice from Cobbadog. I still recommend starting it in the dark if the HT lead is the problem you will know immediately.
Please go easy on spraying ether into the inlet manifold, it can cause more problems than it cures but it will prove the electrical/fuel question one way or the other.

Bob

Newbie00

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 02:42:12 PM »
Hi guys thanks for getting back I meant to say that it has only every started the once then cut out but I’ve never been able to get it running since and I know it’s getting fuel because the spark plugs wet and I know it’s got a good spark because i can see it sparking this is why I’m really confused.
Thanks newbie

Newbie00

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 09:20:48 PM »
Hi guys I think I know what the issue is I don’t have a very strong spark at all I’ve just ordered a new spark plug but I was wondering how to get a stronger spark I’ve cleaned all the points and the earth clamp is there anything else I can do many thanks newbie.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 01:03:06 AM »
A couple of ideas: the first is a damaged/leaking high tension lead from the magneto to the spark plug, the second is an old ineffective spark plug (you have ordered a replacement), the third is the points gap and spark plug gap. I don`t know what the gaps should be but certainly no more than 30 thou.

I`m sure some bright spark will know, sorry about the dreadful joke, couldn`t resist it!  :laugh:

Bob

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 07:14:35 AM »
Try your new plug first and see what happens.
How can you see your spark? Are you just testing with the HT lead near the engine block or similar?
Plug gap should be around 0.025" and point gap at 0.015". You can reduce the point gap down to 0.012" for a better spark when you have issues with the magneto.
Issues are, a bad coil, weak condensor dirty point gap, bad plug and weak magnets can be a cause of your problem so we need to work out which it is. Even as suggested a bad HT lead.
It is very important that the HT lead is made from a wire core and NEVER a carbon core lead.
Do you have a multi-meter and will it measure ohms?

What make and model magneto do you have? Knowing this will help us to help you.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2019, 08:18:49 AM »
The bright spark turns out to be Cobbadog, no surprises there he is a very clued up individual.
I spoke to a friend of mine today about your poor spark problem. He tells me that the timing chain tension is set by fitting steel shims between the magneto and it`s mounting, these can corrode causing a poor earth between the magneto and the main body of the engine, this can cause a poor spark. Perhaps fitting an earth link between the magneto body and the engine body would help.

I recommend you follow the advice of Cobbadog and start testing things with a multi-meter, you should soon find the culprit.

Bob

Newbie00

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2019, 05:02:17 PM »
Hi guys thanks so much for all your input I will try some of the things you have suggested after my plug arrives and keep you updated on what happens, thanks a lot newbie

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2019, 05:29:56 AM »
Also see if you can upload a pic of the magneto so we can help identify it for you..
Thank you ajaffa I forgot about the bad earth between the magneto and the frame or engine, that too can be an issue as is paint under the magneto causing the same issue.

Newbie00

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2019, 05:03:23 PM »
Ok I shall upload some photos soon it’s a Lucas r1 mag

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2019, 06:43:52 AM »
Maybe an RS1, I have one of them on one of my engines and they are a reliable magneto once everything is in good working order. Have not had to touch it in years once it had be tuned up with magnetising and a condensor.

Newbie00

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2019, 03:31:31 PM »
Hi guys update it was the spark plug all along  :-[ I’ve managed to start it for about 30 seconds it was running very slow and I had to keep holding the air intake up for it to run again then it cut out so I took the spark plug out and it was completely black and loads of fuel on it so is it running too rich if so how do I prevent this cheers newbie