Author Topic: New Watercooled Diesel Toys and energy efficent homes.  (Read 13099 times)

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Re: New Watercooled Diesel Toys
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2019, 01:07:05 PM »
In your earlier post you said that you had it running well on veg oil, perhaps you need a blend of veg with a touch of RUG at this time of year when it is cold.

I`m looking to buy a decent lathe and milling machine in the near future, maybe I can teach you what you missed out on with the FIL. I`m thinking Colchester for the lathe and either Bridgeport or Cincinnati for the mill. I`d love a surface grinder as well but the Wife will only stand for so much!  :laugh:

You will always be welcome,

Bob

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2019, 08:40:13 PM »
PCD of three holes:

PCD = Pitch Centre Diameter so it's the diameter of a circle that you could draw that would pass through the centre of your three holes (excuse me if you already know this)

(1) clean the shaft with emery & measure the diameter with verniers - that's dimension one

(2) Use the stem of the vernier to measure from the shaft out to the inner edge of each hole.  Average these three to minimise measuring inaccuracy - that's dimension two

(3) Do the same with the vernier to the outside edge of each hole and average as above - dimension three

(4) (dimension two + dimension three) divided by two, plus dimension one, is PCD - or as close as you'll get by measuring

FWIW it's effectively impossible to measure anything to the centre of a hole but usually OK to measure to each edge, add and then halve . . .

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2019, 09:41:51 PM »
Sorry, I have that wrong

one + two + three = PCD

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2019, 12:23:16 AM »
Good luck on the new welder.   I just got an oxy-acetylene rig for myself. Tanks filled yesterday, just waiting on a B tank to regulator adapter. Got it for cutting and heating (bending), but looking forward to brazing and trying some gas welding too.  Brazing and steel filler rods came to the PO today.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2019, 10:55:35 AM »
Hi Glort, there is a way of seasoning timber very quickly. You need to soak it in a bath of ethylene glycol (anti freeze). This is an old trick wood turners used to use. The only problem with this is that you will never ever be able to get a varnish to adhere to wood treated in this fashion.

Bob

Willw

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2019, 07:09:51 PM »
Hi Glort, I've been running into a few cases of bad fuel recently and I was thinking that was the cause of your starting problem, but you've already investigated that, so like you I'm leaning towards the nozzle.

Sometimes after bleeding the fuel system thoroughly I like to turn the flywheel by hand very slowly and observe the injector spray pattern that way; it might tell something about the condition of the pump as well.

Good luck with it and keep us posted.
Daily driver '97 GMC W4 tipper on WVO/Kerosene mix.
6/1 clone standby generator.
Too many projects.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2019, 02:11:13 AM »
I swear, Glort, you'd be rendering fat from Mortuaries or Kangaroos if you didn't have a supply of free used vegetable oil. 

Seriously, your alt. fuel(s) and WI writing have been a boon for many of us. 

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2019, 07:35:28 AM »
You're just caught in the better design issue.  The better is always the enemy of the good enough. 

My thinking now is that it takes about 3 builds to really get something close to right.  You just have to take your lumps and not whine when you have to it again...

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2019, 07:55:18 AM »
Can anyone work out why I procrastinate and get myself in a tizz? 

I'll give it some thought,

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2019, 08:25:08 AM »
Can anyone work out why I procrastinate and get myself in a tizz? 

I'll give it some thought,

Cheers
Stef

Take your time on that, Stef.  Don't get worked up about it . . .

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2019, 02:14:12 PM »
Hi Glort, why do you procrastinate and get in a tizz? For exactly the same reasons that effect us all: distractions and self doubt.

You have both the machinery and the skills to bring this project to a satisfactory conclusion provided you follow a couple of simple rules. Firstly, you need to sit down with pen and paper and define the purpose of the project and what you are trying to achieve. Are you trying to build a backup generator, a full CHP system, something to take to shows? Perhaps it`s something to show off to the locals or just to piss them off. Maybe it`s just something to fill up your spare time and to stop you climbing the walls.

Second is to work out how much money you are able and willing to commit to the project. As a married man you will need to discus this with She who must be obeyed.(good luck)

Third is to decide where you are going to house your project, if it is going to be a backup generator it needs to be close enough to your home so that you can easily start it in the event of a blackout but far enough from you and the neighbors that it will not cause a noise/pollution problem, you also need to consider the cost of copper cable to your distribution board. If it is a CHP then it needs to be close enough to the house to allow easy/short pipe runs for heating. The closer it is to your home the more you will have to spend on sound deadening/vibration alleviation measures. If it is for display then it will need to have wheels so it can easily be moved, it will also require dry storage facilities between shows. If it is to impress/irritate the neighbors then it is all down to how well you know them and which of their buttons you want to push. I know that most of your proclivities are an attempt at finding  positive ways of channeling past negative events into a brighter future, so the work is therapeutic and I completely understand that as I am in the same boat but it doesn`t have to result in a bad engineering outcome.

Fourth is design, once you have worked out what the goals are it`s time to get on the internet and have a look at what other people have done. Now cross reference everything you need with what is readily/cheaply available in your area, aim for the most bang for your buck!

Five is construction/assembly. Work methodically, don`t rush, allocate as much time as you can safely allow, without it effecting your other work or personal relationships, enjoy the process. Involve as many of your family and friends as you can, people always have more respect for a community project than an individual effort and they will all walk away a lot wiser from having been exposed to you and your knowledge and experience.

Six is taking credit for what you have achieved, light the fire pit, break out the wine and sit on your arse and accept the well earned praise for doing what very few people still know how to do!

Don`t ever doubt your abilities or knowledge, I don`t!  :)

Bob

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2019, 06:50:25 PM »
Two things in the recreational drugs realm that where once being researched for medicinal use before the US "war on drugs" started are now being looked at again.  Pot is profoundly helpful for depression in some that have had no luck at all with Rx medication.  I can't tolerate enough THC for a big effect but do notice a nice boost in mood the day after if I'm vaping the 50/50 THC/CBD stuff in the evening to aid sleeping.  Psilocibin/magic mushrooms seem to have very long lasting benefits for depression for some.

My WI injection system is still working nicely.  I topped it up with 2 gallons of distilled water last week, have previously been using well water.  I also replaced my plastic antifreeze expansion tank, they die from UV in about 4 years. 

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2019, 07:19:55 PM »
Glort, (sp chk!) Saw your find. 1st one I've seen aside from mine. I might have a earlier version but still same basic design.
https://youtu.be/cExllSx6iqU
Do a search here for Kubota by me.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 01:42:54 AM by xyzer »
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2019, 07:29:04 PM »
Great custom portable design, XYZer.  Nice looking welds, too.

Tanman

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2019, 10:34:13 PM »
Maybe you could throw one of these on your new toy! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhG6qqh2ooQ
Kubota ea300
Metro 12/2