Author Topic: Head Bolt Torque - Changfa 175  (Read 2739 times)

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
Head Bolt Torque - Changfa 175
« on: May 31, 2019, 10:56:09 PM »
Hi All,

I am replacing the head gasket on my Changfa 175 and I do not have any specs on the torque rating for the Nuts. The Head Nuts take a 19MM socket and the studs are 12 mm fine thread.
Any ideas or rule-of-thumb for a torque wrench setting on these nuts?

veggie

[ click picture to enlarge ]
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 12:54:09 AM by veggie »
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

cobbadog

• View Profile
Re: Head Bolt Torque - Changfa 175
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 06:49:32 AM »
At least you have a thread size and that is great. Use Google and get a 'torque settings for a 12mm bolt. Sometimes it will want to know fine or coarse thread so if it is a fine thread it will be 1.00mm pitch and not 1.25mm.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 12:59:08 PM »
Might help.

my zs 195 manual says head bolts to 25 kgf.m (kilogram force meter)
If my math is correct that's something like  180 foot pounds.

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 07:22:18 PM »
Thanks guys.
I used that online torque guide you suggested and it recommended approx 100 ft. Lbs.
So that's what I did.
Squished the gasket good and tight.

Later dudes !
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 05:07:47 AM »
I too have used the corn flake packet for my model 1 Victa over the last 50 years plus. I took the ehad off a B&S 4hp to do a valve grind and re sealed it using a head gasket spray I had left over from the grey fergy rebuild. I also just used my sockets and pulled it up tight with no issues so far.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 06:53:41 AM »
I too went down the road of improving performance with a high comp head ram air injected by use of a megaphone inlet tube and megaphone exhaust, enlarged ports and inlet with a motor bike carby to fuel it along. Still never broke it.
With B&S buying Victa only to shut down 2 stroke production as not many buyers wanted a 4 stroke never mind a B&S piece of s**t. But GMH went and use Nissan motors in the Holden Commodore to get it to move along but had cooling issues with it, until they realised the problem and then resolved it.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 06:44:42 AM »
I have many Victa mowers of various models and one was drageed from a drain that floods each time it rains. This mower went under water all the time. Siezed I took it home and soaked the top n bottom ends in auto transmission fuid and accetone. Next day with a small amount of help from a breaker bar it freed up. I chased the mud crabs out of the carby n fuel tank and rebuilt the carby and it started and still does. It is a full crank engine and the carby is one with the grey knob on the outside that actually does alter the hp slightly. IT is one of the 'go to' mowers for slashing down long grass but the favourite is either the Model 1 or 2 which ever is closest. No grass catcher to get blocked up. We have an early 1990 Silver Streak bought from new and now is a Rally mower mower painted in 2pak and bright pink as it belongs to my wife. Any mower that is late model I convert them to being mulchers and the same for the ride on too.