Puppeteer

Author Topic: heads off the 6/1, should do gaskets, right?  (Read 9553 times)

tyssniffen

• View Profile
Re: heads off the 6/1, should do gaskets, right?
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2019, 06:51:17 PM »
 So, update on all this:

I finally got the proper copper sheet gaskets, and laptop the valves, and talked it all down and it is starting up no problem.   I finally got the proper copper sheet gaskets, and laptop the valves, and torqued it all down and it is starting up no problem.

However, I did not do any spray, cause I didn’t see this post until now. And, sure enough, I have what looks like water leaking out at the bolts on top.    At really zero run hours.

So, do I take it all down again and spread and put it back together?

( quite honestly, I really don’t understand this whole protrusion discussion. The liner of the cylinder protrudes above the plane of the head? Mine does not protrude. What protrusion are you talking about? )
6/1 with 2 tank for WVO.  pushing power into off-grid house battery bank, in winter.

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2019, 01:00:05 AM »
That's what happened to mine right from the factory. And that's why there is a picture above of my engine with the head off.
It's a pain in the butt.
The steel cylinder liner which is pressed into the cast iron cylinder/water jacket is sitting too high above the surface of the cast iron deck.
When the head is installed the protruding cylinder prevents the water jacket portion of the gasket from being adequately crushed.
Mine was protruding about .050" above the deck, and it should only protrude 0.003" to 0.005"
There are various ways to correct this. In my case I had to get a machinist friend to press out the liner, machine some material off it, and press it back into the block.
Others may have an easier fix.
Welcome to the world of Rajkot  >:(

- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2019, 02:17:12 AM »
Yes, the liner lip will be above the top of the cylinder.  That's the protrusion we're talking about.  It's highly unlikely that your liner does not protrude, unless you have a clone which has no liner.  If there is no liner, it will not be sticking out below the bottom of the cylinder and there will be no seam about 1/2 inch around the cylinder bore on the head. Rajkot does make cylinders with no liner. If you got one, then your head or cylinder top is not flat, and must be made so per steps 2 and 3 below.

After the head has been torqued down on the protruding liner, it will become concave.  Then even if you fix the protrusion, it will leak at the water passages.  So three things must be done if you want to permanently fix the water leak issue:
1. Get the liner protrusion fixed by a machine shop unless you are very handy, careful and good with precision work and can do it yourself. Ask for 0.003" +- 0.002 protrusion.
2. Get the head mating surface flattened by a machine shop, unless you are very handy, careful and good with precision work and can do it yourself.
3.It's best to have the top of the cylinder flattened by the machine shop also.

With these done, any head gasket that fits will work and you won't have leaks.

I hope this is clear.