Author Topic: Lister sheep shearing and crutching plant  (Read 2521 times)

Cockie

• View Profile
Lister sheep shearing and crutching plant
« on: May 10, 2019, 01:22:28 AM »
I have a lister shearing plant to restore, and I'm wondering about the date of production. Although it consists mostly of angle iron the bearing housings and tumbling tommy clutch assembly all have lister in the castings or engraved on the brass covers. I have most of the plant, frame, engine and cooling water tank, but I'm told they didn't all start life together. The complete plant photo is from a museum, not the unit I have. Any information about these plants of leads to parts such as the down tubes would be much appreciated.

Cockie

38ac

• View Profile
Re: Lister sheep shearing and crutching plant
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 12:12:42 PM »
Hello and welcome to the LEF.
There may be a fellow or two here that knows a bit about those but not I.  I do know that there are bits and pieces around for sale as I have seen them advertised. There is a Face book group named Stationary Engine Enthusiasts which is based primarily in England and I am certain someone there can help. You must join the group to post. You could also subscribe to Stationary Engine Magazine, another good source of parts and information. There may be other active internet forums but I am not aware of them. You can find out when the engine was built and where it was shipped by contacting Doreen Edgington and sending her the information from the data plate. Google her name for contact information.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 10:04:47 PM »
+1 for Butch's welcome.

Nice to see a Lister project in the hands of an enthusiast.

Wherever you glean information from please return here and post updates, most of us on here are mechanically bent voyeurs,  so whatever you are doing will be of interest, honest.
Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 11:38:27 PM »
Hi Cockie, a nice project. recommend you contact Rob at old timer engines, he should be able to help you with information and any parts you require. https://www.oldtimerengines.com.au/contact_us/

Bob

Cockie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 11:59:59 PM »
Thanks to you all for the leads, it's much appreciated. I have the book the Lister D Story and have dated my engine to between 4-2-1937 and 14-4-1937. Also I was wondering about the colour of the cooling water tank, which had faded yellowish paint, and I am wondering if the tank may have been originally painted pea green as was the war finish paint as per the Lister D book. As I'm told the three items didn't start life together, I am thinking of painting the cooling tank pea green with the stencilled "war finish" wording.
Cockie

Cockie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 12:13:00 AM »
Forgot to say 38ac, the engine has a brass plate stating it was sold by Winchcombe Carson, Brisbane, so I know it was probably used in the wool industry, in some form. As it has the exhaust configured horizontally, I don't think it would have been on a shearing plant, as they have a vertical exhaust, to get the fumes away from the shearers. My interest in shearing plants was raised by me obtaining a 1927 Coopers plant, and my memories of my father shearing up to 2,500 sheep on the family farm when I was knee high to a grass hopper.

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 07:52:47 AM »

Impressive!

That's around 35 seconds a sheep, with AC DC drowning out the roar of the overworked Lister!

I could handle the machinery and the music but like you Glort, I don't think my spine would last the first half dozen sheep.

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

Cockie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 10:58:03 PM »
Yes hard work shearing, I guess that's why I was an electrician!

I think the735 was achieved by a Kiwi, but it was performed in the UK, that equates to a sheep every 44 seconds I wonder if he had wide combs on his handpiece.

Dad would take about 6 weeks to shear his lot, as he had to skirt and roll the fleece himself, as he was a one man band, he also had other farm duties as well. He hated the shearing as at the end his hands were as soft as an office worker's due to the lanolin.