Puppeteer

Author Topic: Interesting run  (Read 4615 times)

MoHillbilly

• View Profile
Interesting run
« on: August 04, 2006, 04:03:51 AM »
tonight/this evening......I fabricated a dodge alternator mount, and installed the alternator onto my 1917 Fuller and Johnson 1.5 HP hit and miss engine.

Here are some rough measurements on the run.

Average RPM.......375
average output......48 amps@12voltsDC
fuel usage....1 quart @ 2 hours run time

It aint diesel, but damn, this is looking good!

I am going to do more accurate testing next week.  If this is doing what i think it is doing, i will be VERY happy!

Rtqii

• View Profile
Re: Interesting run
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 07:10:53 AM »
I can see the day when I would really want a 48 amp battery charger... And I love hit and miss engines. It's the sound... A sharp firm backbeat.

I am buying a new Listeroid 20/2 soon (cash up within a week I do so hope) and I have seriously thought about tuning one pipe to open air, and stuffing the other pipe into an expansion chamber and glass pack muffler. Near equal performance in the cylinder should be adjustable on the rack... But you would get a true note of a one lunger working the load...

snail

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 09:04:03 AM »
damn, ya beat me to  it! Only thought about it in adrunken "what if " one night ;D
can you believe that engine was still in production in the 1950's over here (OZ)

Cheers,

snail

MoHillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 01:01:48 AM »
Well, blew out the head gasket the other night (what do you expect from a 89 year old engine!)  Made a new gasket at work, and while i was at it, made a new gasket for the ignitor. Both out of copper.  Should help with thermal conductivity to the waer hopper and keep the head a little cooler, it is not water cooled at all!

Got it fired up and running great again, this old engine probably never saw ANY serious work in its life till now, compression is excellent.

Gave it another test run this evening.Hooked up another dischargeed battery.  Even better results this time.....56 amps @ 14.4 volts!!!!!!!   that pretty much maxed out the capabilities of this engine!!!!   So, what i also aquired ws a 10 ohm 6 amp potentiometer, will wire it into the positve lead from the regulator to the alternator and dial  it in so the engine runs more at 375-400 rpm, instead of about 275-300 rpm at the 56 amp load.

Ken had a good idea, Alcohol...... I think once i get the engine/alt. performance where I want it, i wil experiment with runnin the ol gal on alcohol or alcohol/gas mix....Gives me an excuse to get that still up and runnin, for fuel use only mind you! ::) :D

slowspeed1953

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 03:08:23 AM »
Well, blew out the head gasket the other night (what do you expect from a 89 year old engine!)  Made a new gasket at work, and while i was at it, made a new gasket for the ignitor. Both out of copper.  Should help with thermal conductivity to the waer hopper and keep the head a little cooler, it is not water cooled at all!

Got it fired up and running great again, this old engine probably never saw ANY serious work in its life till now, compression is excellent.

Gave it another test run this evening.Hooked up another dischargeed battery.  Even better results this time.....56 amps @ 14.4 volts!!!!!!!   that pretty much maxed out the capabilities of this engine!!!!   So, what i also aquired ws a 10 ohm 6 amp potentiometer, will wire it into the positve lead from the regulator to the alternator and dial  it in so the engine runs more at 375-400 rpm, instead of about 275-300 rpm at the 56 amp load.

Ken had a good idea, Alcohol...... I think once i get the engine/alt. performance where I want it, i wil experiment with runnin the ol gal on alcohol or alcohol/gas mix....Gives me an excuse to get that still up and runnin, for fuel use only mind you! ::) :D

Very exciting brother sounds like your having a lot of fun!

Peace&Love :D, Darren

MoHillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 03:29:24 AM »
damn, ya beat me to  it! Only thought about it in adrunken "what if " one night ;D
can you believe that engine was still in production in the 1950's over here (OZ)

Cheers,

snail

The Fuller and johnson??? til the 50's?????   I had no idea!!!!

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 03:38:52 AM »
somebody please tell me dawg uses IE
http://www.turnofftheinternet.com/
--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

MoHillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 04:34:37 AM »
somebody please tell me dawg uses IE
http://www.turnofftheinternet.com/

And this deals with this thread, HOW??????????

snail

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 04:36:20 AM »
When you mentioned watercooling I realised you weren't talking about :

http://www.oldengine.org/members/pml/ch02/ch02sc1.jpg

The farm pumpers were made by several Aussie manufacturers and the Southern Cross version was still being made in the 50's.Come to think of it I think they were only rated a 1 HP on a good day,depending on which way you held your mouth! This would have to be the last hit n miss engine in production wouldn't it? ???
By reputation, you had to run them more missing than hitting if you wanted to keep them cool.Maybe a drop(100% :D) of methanol would have helped one of these to pull your alternator.
BTW,the "what if" session also included a Merlin engine in a canoe.Intellectual stuff eh?
Keep us informed of your antics(antiques? :D)

Cheers,

Brian