Author Topic: Lister diesels in cement mixers  (Read 2297 times)

LR1MICK

• View Profile
Lister diesels in cement mixers
« on: April 05, 2019, 08:03:14 PM »
Good evening,

Just a quick question did the diesel listers fitted to cement mixers receive yellow paint as opposed to the more usual green?

Thanks

Mick

Willw

• View Profile
Re: Lister diesels in cement mixers
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 11:30:01 PM »
I have wondered the same thing, but I'm still not absolutely certain.

A few years ago I bought the engines from one of the oldest Cement Mixer guys here, since he was reducing his stash down to what he preferred; those being Lister LT-1's.
Among the odd stuff I received was a partial engine, a yellow LD-1 or LR-1, I don't remember which right now. Which I assume came from a mixer.

I know where there is a 2nd of these yellow Listers as well, and the owner of that one confirmed that it did come off a cement mixer.

I seem to recall that there is a video or two of the rare yellow beasts on Youtube as well.

Maybe someone here can give a definitive answer to the question of different colored engines being offered by Lister.

What may be of interest as well, many years back one of the local hardware stores imported and sold brand new Essick cement mixers from England.
All of these mixers that I have seen were painted orange, and came with the 1st generation Lister LT-1 diesel engines which seem to have also been painted Orange from the factory.
I have owned one of these engines, also worked on a few, and I do not recall seeing any green paint whatsoever under the orange paint.

Remembering these mixers, the 1st gen LT-1 featured an extended camshaft which should have been, in my mind, used for starting the engine. This shaft was 19mm I believe, and some "genius" decided that instead of simply adding a larger driven pulley to the mixer and drive it from the flywheel end, they would bolt an outboard bearing support plate in front of the gear cover and drive the mixer's barrel utilizing the 2:1 reduction offered by the relationship of the crankshaft to the camshaft. Starting would be accomplished using the factory "geared-up starting" which sounds perfectly reasonable right?
Well, these are no chicken-shit mixers; one or two 94lb sacks of Portland Cement, 10 to 12 5-gallon buckets of sand and gravel, several gallons of water, and presto, you're in business.
The system worked perfectly turning what was probably a load in excess of 1000 Lbs, until that outboard support bearing wore and then Snap! Bye-bye camshaft.
Sadly, a lot of this carnage happened here, and I am sure in whatever other countries these mixers were sold, and I have no doubt was one of the reasons that Lister used a different camshaft and gear cover on the 2nd gen LT-1's.

Daily driver '97 GMC W4 tipper on WVO/Kerosene mix.
6/1 clone standby generator.
Too many projects.

sirpedrosa

• 21NOV2019 - Finally I hear that sound... again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 10:00:57 PM »
Hi Mick

The standard color of origin of the Listers is since times gone mid brunswick green.

Some concrete mixers were painted in another color - yellow, orange, and others - because the manufacturer of the concrete mixers bought the unpainted motors, and then painted the whole concrete mixer.

The marine engines were blue in color, and only a few, because it was on request.

BR
VP
By order of firing up:
Bernard 18A - 1968 (mama's water pump - year of my birth)
Petter PAZ1 - Jun 1967, 3HP, sn 416xxxx
Petter PAZ1 - Nov 1979, 3HP, sn 425xxxx
Lister 12/2 - 12651227, the pearl!
Deutz MAH 914, 1952 - Zündfix in chamber and go (7Mai2023).

LR1MICK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 10:43:58 PM »
Thanks guys.
Confession time.........
I have just bought a 1959 ex mixer LD1 engine to go with my green 1974 LR1. There is quite a bit yellow and green on it, but i thought whats the harm in painting it all safety yellow!
Cheers