Author Topic: Unidentifed engine recommission  (Read 3281 times)

Sean

• View Profile
Unidentifed engine recommission
« on: April 04, 2019, 11:32:40 PM »
Hello,
I'm in the process of recommissioning a 3-cylinder air cooled Lister that came out of a boat (and will be going back into a different boat)

I'm struggling with a spring in the assembly among the fuel pumps - it's to the right of this photo. It doesn't seem to be actually doing anything. Can anyone tell me what it is for and how it should be installed. Is there something missing here?

Thanks,
Sean

scott p

• View Profile
Re: Unidentifed engine recommission
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 06:54:26 AM »
I always thought that spring was there to keep the linkages tight in other words linkage wear compensation.

scott p

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 05:06:22 PM »
OK I get it now. I saved your pic as a  JPEG. Your engine came out of a boat so I am assuming it is set for variable speed. That spring setup is to adjust your low idle but it is usually placed next to the last pump towards the flywheel but I suppose it would work where it is. If I can figure out how to send a picture of the adjustment instructions I will do so. Basically once all setup procedures are done you "according to the manual" you completely slack off the speeder spring start the engine and use the spring setup you are looking at to adjust the low idle.

Sean

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 12:13:39 AM »
OK I get it now. I saved your pic as a  JPEG. Your engine came out of a boat so I am assuming it is set for variable speed. That spring setup is to adjust your low idle but it is usually placed next to the last pump towards the flywheel but I suppose it would work where it is. If I can figure out how to send a picture of the adjustment instructions I will do so. Basically once all setup procedures are done you "according to the manual" you completely slack off the speeder spring start the engine and use the spring setup you are looking at to adjust the low idle.

Ah, that makes sense, it is set for variable speed and a low idle adjustment would make sense. If you can send a picture of the adjustment instructions that would be great!

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 09:42:31 AM »
It would help if we knew what engine you have. I am guessing at an ST or SR 3. I have attached a photo of the spring on my ST2, not sure if it will help much as you appear to have a slightly different set up.

Bob

scott p

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 08:11:16 PM »
here are the pics sean

Sean

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2019, 07:50:13 AM »
It would help if we knew what engine you have. I am guessing at an ST or SR 3. I have attached a photo of the spring on my ST2, not sure if it will help much as you appear to have a slightly different set up.

Thanks for this - it’s an ST3 if it’s been identified correctly. I opened up my SR2 but it has a totally different setup so that didn’t help at all.

Sean

Sean

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 07:50:40 AM »
here are the pics sean

Thank you!

Sean

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2019, 09:17:45 AM »
Hi Sean, do you have the full workshop manual for the ST2 series Lister engines? I have a copy but cannot post it due to size limitations on the LEF, I can scan parts of it and post as required.

Bob