Author Topic: Argentina  (Read 2261 times)

mikenash

• View Profile
Argentina
« on: April 04, 2019, 07:23:29 PM »
https://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=2012260701&member_hash=a3a7566550fad4bdc4224f94f4401662016de7c29f5cc5555c&tm=email&et=46&mt=3CD2EA5F-6EC8-4299-AE88-E417DDE97A03

Hi guys.  See the listing?

I went and had a yak to this guy and offered him $500 just for the motor - he wasn't interested, of course

He's adamant that "It came from Argentina" and it was new when he got it - not rebuilt or whatever but "new"

He's not a hell of a mechanical chap - so he may not have been able to tell the difference?

is there any suggestion that there was manufacturing in Argentina?  The small brass plate I would expect to see wasn't evident

Maybe after he has had it listed for a year or two he'll revise his idea of it's value.  maybe once it's seized from sitting in the paddock where it has been the last three years.  Injector and decompressor linkages are already seized and it has one valve stuck open - so it's on the way . . .

zenison

• View Profile
Re: Argentina
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2022, 02:09:50 AM »
Hello, thousands of Lister 8/1 SOM engines were manufactured in Argentina, between approximately 1959-1968.  Today, hundreds of them are in service and thousands of others stopped, but in 100% working order, due to the expansion of the electrical network.  I was born and live in Argentina and of course I have an 8/1 as a backup in case of emergency, I bought it used and in my property it was used for more than 7,000 hours with only a change of valves and valve guides. I apologize if there are errors in the Google translator. Regards. Jorge.

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2022, 08:45:57 AM »
Hi All

Saw the above post, I was looking for something to do give me an excuse to avoid doing anything useful and prolong my first cup of tea of the day......

So....

I Googled 'Lister Argentina' and found this

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=lister+argentina&iax=images&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fhttp2.mlstatic.com%2Fgrupo-electrogeno-15-kva-lister-D_NQ_NP_975236-MLA29195537077_012019-O.jpg&ia=images

After gasping at the asking price thought I'd better check the conversion rate, I'm still gasping!

Either I have an order of magnitude problem or, rather than trying to help our US cousins by smuggling old Listers to them we should be shipping to South America!

Back to work....

Cheers

Stef

Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2022, 03:15:59 PM »
Interesting. I would guess this was likely some sort of licensing agreement.

I am seeing stuff in the 140-150,000 Argentine Peso range. That's about $970 USD.

zenison

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2022, 02:27:00 AM »
In Argentina, the value of the dollar established by the government is false...it happens a bit like in Venezuela.  The value of a Lister, in greenbacks is about 400/500 dollars.  A dollar at 150 Argentine pesos only exists in the imagination of the government. Greetings

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2022, 08:36:24 AM »
Hmmm I wonder what shipping would be from Argentina to the US?  :)

It is definitely an interesting bit of Lister history that I have never heard about. Do you happen to have any more info about the listers produced in Argentina? Was it a lister managed operation or a licensing agreement with a local manufacturer? Did they make a whole range of Lister engines or primarilly the CS engines?

Sounds like they were used as in many places until a reliable national grid was put in place. Do you  know if they were primarilly used for electrical generation or for running equipment like sheep shearing machines or dairy processing equipment?

zenison

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2022, 05:12:28 PM »
The history of Lister in Argentina dates back to the 1940s, the 6/1 and another smaller one for shearers were already imported from England. Later, for some reason, they began to be manufactured locally, I suppose under license and under strict quality standards ordered by Lister, who achieved engines of exceptional quality.  Likewise, the most durable was the 6/1, followed by the 8/1 SOM, and finally the 16/2. The 6/1 was the engine used to generate and for pumps, all the 8/1s I knew were electric generators.  Here there was no culture of maintenance... the engine worked until it detonated for various reasons, generally connecting rod breakage due to bearing wear, and also failures in the speed control (governor) and also quite a few cases of crankshaft cutting, mainly in the 16/2, which caused a bad reputation for those engines, when the truth is that this usually happened after a careless repair .Regards.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2022, 05:27:18 PM by zenison »

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2022, 06:21:04 PM »
The history of Lister in Argentina dates back to the 1940s, the 6/1 and another smaller one for shearers were already imported from England. Later, for some reason, they began to be manufactured locally, I suppose under license and under strict quality standards ordered by Lister, who achieved engines of exceptional quality.  Likewise, the most durable was the 6/1, followed by the 8/1 SOM, and finally the 16/2. The 6/1 was the engine used to generate and for pumps, all the 8/1s I knew were electric generators.  Here there was no culture of maintenance... the engine worked until it detonated for various reasons, generally connecting rod breakage due to bearing wear, and also failures in the speed control (governor) and also quite a few cases of crankshaft cutting, mainly in the 16/2, which caused a bad reputation for those engines, when the truth is that this usually happened after a careless repair .Regards.

I met a chap here in NZ who had a "new" Argentinian-built CS Lister and pumpset for sale a few years ago.  For the price he was asking it's probably still sitting on his farm rusted solid by now.