Lister Engines > Original Lister Cs Engines

Argentina

<< < (2/2)

broncodriver99:
Hmmm I wonder what shipping would be from Argentina to the US?  :)

It is definitely an interesting bit of Lister history that I have never heard about. Do you happen to have any more info about the listers produced in Argentina? Was it a lister managed operation or a licensing agreement with a local manufacturer? Did they make a whole range of Lister engines or primarilly the CS engines?

Sounds like they were used as in many places until a reliable national grid was put in place. Do you  know if they were primarilly used for electrical generation or for running equipment like sheep shearing machines or dairy processing equipment?

zenison:
The history of Lister in Argentina dates back to the 1940s, the 6/1 and another smaller one for shearers were already imported from England. Later, for some reason, they began to be manufactured locally, I suppose under license and under strict quality standards ordered by Lister, who achieved engines of exceptional quality.  Likewise, the most durable was the 6/1, followed by the 8/1 SOM, and finally the 16/2. The 6/1 was the engine used to generate and for pumps, all the 8/1s I knew were electric generators.  Here there was no culture of maintenance... the engine worked until it detonated for various reasons, generally connecting rod breakage due to bearing wear, and also failures in the speed control (governor) and also quite a few cases of crankshaft cutting, mainly in the 16/2, which caused a bad reputation for those engines, when the truth is that this usually happened after a careless repair .Regards.

mikenash:

--- Quote from: zenison on October 30, 2022, 05:12:28 PM ---The history of Lister in Argentina dates back to the 1940s, the 6/1 and another smaller one for shearers were already imported from England. Later, for some reason, they began to be manufactured locally, I suppose under license and under strict quality standards ordered by Lister, who achieved engines of exceptional quality.  Likewise, the most durable was the 6/1, followed by the 8/1 SOM, and finally the 16/2. The 6/1 was the engine used to generate and for pumps, all the 8/1s I knew were electric generators.  Here there was no culture of maintenance... the engine worked until it detonated for various reasons, generally connecting rod breakage due to bearing wear, and also failures in the speed control (governor) and also quite a few cases of crankshaft cutting, mainly in the 16/2, which caused a bad reputation for those engines, when the truth is that this usually happened after a careless repair .Regards.

--- End quote ---

I met a chap here in NZ who had a "new" Argentinian-built CS Lister and pumpset for sale a few years ago.  For the price he was asking it's probably still sitting on his farm rusted solid by now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version