Puppeteer

Author Topic: Earth Hour  (Read 7103 times)

guest22972

Earth Hour
« on: March 30, 2019, 10:15:03 AM »

Half way through earth hour here which means The Kiwis have had it and the rest of the world are still about to.

I did my bit, put on all the lights out the front and the back and I have a LOT of lights out there. Good job it's blowing a gale out there tonight or I could have had the student pilots from the local airport 3 Km away trying to do touch and goes in the back yard and down the drive way.

Never let it be said I don't do my bit for stupid and moronic causes.  :laugh:

Had I remembered this afternoon, I would have done more and put a few extra lights out. I went through town this morning and while waiting at the crossing for some poor old digger I was wondering If I should get out and carry to the other side,  saw a sign saying the fairy lights in the trees down the center of the road would be switched off between 8:30 and 9:30  to support earth hour.
Oh please!  ::)  ::)  ::)

Really shows the mind numbing stupidity of this garbage.
They will have every other municipal building lit up like Christmas, all night Including the show ground as they have for the last week in preparation for the local show they are setting up for and be burning probably hundreds of KW hours per night over all but think they are achieving something turning off the fairy lights for an hour that probably don't even pull a KW all up.

Maybe we should pull the plug on twits who come up and promote this crap?  I wonder how many resources and how much energy WAS used in making a song and dance about it?  I would GAURANTEE there was more energy expended on designing and printing this large and plentiful signs all round town let alone the others in the district than what switching the fairy lights off would ever save not to mention all the other resources that went into them including paying people to drive round and put them up then on Monday go round and take the damn things down again.

I'll guarantee the most prominent supporters of this garbage are the inner city trendy types that don't even have a solar panel on their shoebox apartment roofs but think they are saving the world and achieving something with this rubbish.

This save the environment/ co2 / feelgood crap really has gone too far and is just an insult to peoples intelligence with crap like this

oldgoat

• View Profile
Re: Earth Hour
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 10:44:39 AM »
I'll bet this really pisses off the personel in the control rooms of every generator when the load dissapears for an hour and then comes back on again.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 10:45:16 AM »
Hi Glort, there are 8760 hours in a year, if these dimwit campaigners believe that one hour is going to make the slightest difference they are deluded and need to seek psychiatric assistance. I am sure that all these people will be back in their cars tomorrow, clogging the roads and belching fumes. The only difference is that they will be able to do it with a clear conscience because they observed "Earth Hour", a bit like a pedophile priest going to confession on Sunday and then going back to molesting children on Monday.

What a crock of sh1t!  >:(

Bob

dax021

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 01:13:54 PM »
Whether it helps the earth or not, it's still fun to take part in.  Also makes the hippie type chicks a little looser.  Win,win.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 06:04:11 PM »
The point is raising awareness, not power saving, duh. 
The science is clear, the longer we wait, the greater the impact on the lives of our grandkids.

I'm not sure what goes on in the heads of deniers- very little it seems, and a lack of compassion. 

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2019, 06:07:01 PM »
Ah; Lister Engine Forum where the worlds greatest thinkers and studs gather to consider the universe. 

Thanks for helping spread the word about the challenges we face in this changing world.  Pi day and solstice were good but now earth hour in the same month makes March Great Again.

OK Perps;  Back over and push your heads down into that sand absolutely as far as you can.  And folks said the pointy part wouldn't be a real help.  Remember; A dirty worn out planet is far better than a well maintained one.  Sort of like Lister engines.
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2019, 06:10:26 PM »
Hey Bruce,

I hear the photos of the bottom of the flat planet will first be seen at this sight.  I've heard that it's really shaped much like a coin but I haven't seen the photos as of yet.  The moon and the sun are important facts leading to this obvious theory.

Cheers
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

basewindow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2019, 11:44:58 PM »
Maybe try Earth week, stop all electricity for personal use for one week. No internet, no lights, no ipad or tv. See how many of these inner city greens would join in then and be 100% committed to the cause. I'm guessing not many.
1953 CS Lister 3.5hp, 1938? Bamford SD1 3.5hp, 1962 Fordson Super Dexta, 1969 International 434.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2019, 12:04:30 AM »
It's not about politics, it's about leaving a habitable planet for future generations.

Yes, humans are irrational. Half of all humans are below average intelligence; think about your friend who is average, then think of a billion people half that smart. That's the nature of humans.

We need the best minds in science and engineering, and climatologists to address the problem, and politicians to follow their advice; Alas, politicians follow the will of the masses.
Thus silly programs to make the public think about their planet. 

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2019, 11:30:56 AM »
Hi BruceM, I hope you don`t think I was having a go at people like yourself who have actually reduced their carbon footprint to a minimum, I wasn`t.

Nor was I having a go at anyone trying to mitigate climate change, I wasn`t.

I was just trying to point out the stupidity of any protest that has only a 0.0114 % effect, assuming that everybody on earth joined in.

As for my concerns for future generations, my daughter is getting married soon with the intention of raising a family. I have very grave concerns about how that is going to end.

Were you aware that at the end of April, one month from today, there will be 8 million more humans on earth than there are today? In time, they will all expect a car, a home, electricity and all the gadgets that can be connected to it. They will then expect the right to have children of their own.

We have huge problems with mass immigration from Africa into Europe and from South America into the USA, I can`t see these problems going away anytime soon.

Exponential growth in a finite world is impossible, something has to give. If you know what that something is please share it with us so we can get on with solving the problem.

Bob

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2019, 11:54:25 AM »
Earth Day got this thread going.  Better than nothing.  It's effectiveness in raising awareness is demonstrated.

Oh, and no more crazy talk about a week without the internet.  I'm sorry but I have standards.
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2019, 10:46:16 AM »
Once again we are witnessing the planet and its inhabitants going to hell in a handcart. The greedy and powerful have taken over and are milking the system for all it`s worth. Today we are having a Budget in Australia, my understanding is that the federal government has enough money for tax cuts.

The wealthy types can expect an extra $1000 a week pocket money, while the workers can expect $40 a week! My electric bill went up by more than that!

When are the politicians going to start looking after the people who voted for them and stop supporting the globalists who financed their election campaign?

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2019, 03:47:58 PM »
Once they have castrated democracy all that is left is bloody revolution and we don`t want that! Perhaps it is time that right minded people got a little more involved in politics. Start local and work our way up, any ideas or suggestions?

Bob

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2019, 05:26:53 PM »
Isn't it wonderful how nice we all are playing with each other?

Still, three weeks ago I couldn't remember "Earth Day".  I wonder if I'll remember it next year?  Cleaner energy simply has to happen.  The planet is finite.  Consuming warm bodies are not (as). 

I watch a large trust organization here in Hawaii.  They do a fairly good job but do have a couple of recurring problems.  They keep pulling their management team out of the same gene pool and expect change.  Is it "stupidity" or "craziness" that is defined as doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome?  If you want a different outcome from your team politico you must go to a different gene pool.  Scary stuff. 

Chores call.

NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2019, 07:59:57 PM »
There is a way to restore democracy partially, and that is to have public funding for elections and outlaw lobbying entirely.  Make the penalties for graft and corruption life very, very heavy.
And of course, term limits.  Power corrupts humans, period.

Good luck getting that passed by representatives who have spent half their lives taking corporate money.