Author Topic: Earth Hour  (Read 1510 times)

mikenash

• View Profile
Re: Earth Hour
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2019, 08:54:40 AM »
Sorry Glort, I don't want to spend 20 mins of my life I'll never get back reading your magnum opus

That aside, I think that - sooner or later - governments will, kicking & screaming, be dragged into realising that this Climate Shit is serious

THEN, I suspect, the planet's industries & economies will be put on a War Footing, governments will realise that $$ is just a number, and some large-scale shit will get done . . .

Perhaps this Carbon-Eating machine will be one?

The question, IMHO, is how bad/irretrievable will it get before something is done

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2019, 09:11:07 AM »
Sorry Glort, I don't want to spend 20 mins of my life I'll never get back reading your magnum opus

If that takes you 20 Min to read, perhaps you should enrol at the local primary school for some reading lessons.
Funny how people never have time to read things that show the flaws in their position.  ::)

According to the company site, the equivalent of 250,000 cars worth of CO per unit per year.
The energy cost of running it could be substantial as well.

I'm not at all sure if that is significant and of course you never know how "Optimised"  them numbers are.
I did look for an energy consumption figure but there was none which leads me to believe it is significant as well.  If the pics are anything to go by, it would have to be just to run the amount of fans they depict. Don't know what else may be involved but no doubt it will need lots of power as anything industrial scaled would.

If this did have a hope in hell, it would be an interesting Quandary.  The logical thing would be to power it with solar but then there are 2 questions, what's the solar worth and are there sites big enough to put a plant where you are close enough to population to make the fuel transport cost Viable?

I read all the time about only tinly bits or land needed relative to countries size being needed to power them and people argue all sorts of crap for the being suitable land everywhere but that is just not the case in reality.

On the flip side there are already a number of ways to make oil  that are being used today particularly in asian Countries.  In the west we have a huge waste tyre and plastic problem, in asian countries they are cooking them to get fuel and they get a by product of carbon black from tyres and the steel from the belts.

It's not new or pie in the sky, it's been done for over a decade.
This is another reason why all this globull warming thing will never amount to anything significant.  Big biz and gubbermint revenue will always quash any idea that infringes on that no matter how beneficial any tech may be for the planet.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2019, 09:55:55 AM »
Planet earth has always had a very efficient system for dealing with global warming and reducing atmospheric CO2, they are called trees! They absorb CO2 and give out oxygen for us to breath.

The problem is that we are cutting down all the trees to build houses and make way for agriculture to feed an ever growing human population. So what are we going to do about it? Is anyone going to vote for a political party that advocates for less children, more warfare, less medicine, starvation and compulsory euthanasia? I doubt it. So, what we can`t agree on mother nature will deal with on her own.

I would urge every member on this site to plant a couple of trees, I would also urge them to prepare for a very turbulent time ahead as the peoples in drought stricken areas migrate to cooler climates bringing with them famine, disease, civil unrest and warfare.

Bob

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2019, 02:01:46 PM »
Glort, glort, glort.

How many lines of code does it take to get you to bla, bla, bla........  See, it's just not me.

The oceans play a big role in carbon maintenance as well.  It's called algae.  You know, the stuff from whence most crude oil comes (at least it doesn't end with a preposition).  I suspect the planet's solution to some sort of stabilization is to chase the humanoid life forms off of it.  For all you other mammals - oops. 

I'm afraid I agree with the idea that my hill folk ancestors voiced in the old saying that they did have enough chairs but that they just had too many visitors has become true for the entire planet.  Population management is going to become more widely seen as the answer as the trees and algae disappear.  The paradox:  A diminishing population building an increasing political majority. 
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2019, 02:48:29 PM »

Is anyone going to vote for a political party that advocates for less children, more warfare, less medicine, starvation and compulsory euthanasia? I doubt it.

I don't think it needs to be quite that dramatic Bob.  China had zero population growth for some decades. Simply make it more expensive for those who want to procreate more than one child.

I would urge every member on this site to plant a couple of trees,

I'm much better at chopping the bastards down! They are great in the bush, pain in the arse in suburbia or anywhere near a building. 

Had my gum out the front trimmed up last Monday. Arborist reckons it's over 450 years old.  You know you have something decent when the tree guys want to pose to take pics with the thing when they are done and are doing shots with their chainsaws against it for scale. I'll substitute my planting  duty for preserving this old grandaddy. I have a DA to have the thing removed but I'll keep it. Need a bit of treatment so I'll get a guy in to do that and see how we go.

That said, I am successfully growing some Moringa trees. Supposed to have all sorts of benefits in eating the leaves and the things get seed pods which produce a lot of oil which I want to have a go at squeezing out. Mentioned the Moringa to a Fillipino friend and she went into orbit.  They love the things in the islands and she said I could make decent money supplying small grocers with them that stock these specific foods.

I would also urge them to prepare for a very turbulent time ahead as the peoples in drought stricken areas migrate to cooler climates bringing with them famine, disease, civil unrest and warfare.

I was reading the other day how all the migration from the 3rd world to the first world is also causing resource and emissions problems.
In the 3rd world the lifestyle people lead is much more unsustainable and the people have very low impact. Once you get to the 1st world and live in a house with appliances and a car and all the other trappings, the weight one has on the planet goes up significantly.

As it seems pollies the world over are hell bent on importing people from the 3rd world shitholes into a world they struggle with anyway, this is a compounding of the problem of population without actually increasing the numbers of people.

I think the whole thing of globull warming has become rather irrelevant now anyway.
There is no way any real steps are going to be done to address anything unless there is a buck in it and growth is the fundamental thing big biz and gubbermints absolutely want and will never give up.  No point harping about what needs to be done because anything real and effective as in population control will never be considered in the first world.

Casey and Co better hope globull warming is a scam because if it's not, our kids are already screwed.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2019, 05:46:43 PM »
"our kids are already screwed. "  That's what the world's climate scientists have been screaming for a long time.  Alas, Dunning -Kruger effect lets every idiot think his opinion is valid and well informed.  Thus democracy is the orchestra on the deck of the Titanic, even with corporate corruption removed.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2019, 10:45:32 PM »

I was saying on another greenwashed forum how the globull warming thing be it real or not has become irrelevant and that the numbers show despite a couple of decades of it being rammed down everyone's throat, they situation is going backwards fast.

The response was interesting if not unsurprising in the assembled green proponents went into overdrive to push their position of the cause being real and with the regular denier label being thrown around ( which I am and have no problem with) rather than acknowledge the problem from their end and suggest solutions.

It was far more about pushing the beliefs and going to pains to prove there is no way they are wrong it's realy and blah blah rather than  addressing the point, it it is real the numbers are getting worst and there is no suggestion what so ever that they will change in the forseeable future and certainly not within near the time frame suggested that has to happen.

Of course that was met with more cried of Denier etc. Yes, we have already established that but by my initial declaration but the point is, if I am wrong and the other side is right, it's game over already.
I don't care what people believe in but I do get annoyed when their religion starts costing me money in useless schemes for the cause.  That's not schemes for the cause, it's USELESS ideas that are self evident and apparent from the start.

As I have said endlessly, real and effective no cost strategy's are never employed because the only interest big biz and gubbermints have in this is money.

It's not a matter of Denial, it's a matter of facing up to a very evident problem that the green side constantly complains about in not enough being done but keeping going with the same strategy and expecting a different result.

I also set the green washed on fire by saying I wonder how many of the green zealots follow the prescribed lists of what not to do in every day life?
Do they not travel by air plane, given up eating meat, ride a pushbike everywhere, have enough solar on the roof to support their energy needs, all have a straight EV they charge only from said panels and are they making sure their impact on the planet is sustainable as they prescribe?

;D ;D ;D Don't be ridiculous! Of course they aren't!
Talk is cheap, practising what you preach is so much harder and inconvenient.

Unless the congregation of the green religion can follow their own scriptures, how can they expect everyone else to?

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2019, 01:23:25 AM »
"globull warming"  tags the writing as something not worth reading in my book. 
That sort of bologna was cooled up by the Koch brothers and other large petro corps as part of their disinformation campaigns.  Only a Koch puppet would use it.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2019, 05:31:32 AM »
Glort, glort, glort.

How many lines of code does it take to get you to bla, bla, bla........  See, it's just not me.

The oceans play a big role in carbon maintenance as well.  It's called algae.  You know, the stuff from whence most crude oil comes (at least it doesn't end with a preposition).  I suspect the planet's solution to some sort of stabilization is to chase the humanoid life forms off of it.  For all you other mammals - oops. 

I'm afraid I agree with the idea that my hill folk ancestors voiced in the old saying that they did have enough chairs but that they just had too many visitors has become true for the entire planet.  Population management is going to become more widely seen as the answer as the trees and algae disappear.  The paradox:  A diminishing population building an increasing political majority.

Casey, I'm not sure this particular part of your audience here would recognise a preposition if it was swimming in his soup . . .

One of the dubious things social media has given us is the ability to surround oneself with like-minded folk who will reinforce your position until opinion begins to feel like fact.  At which point - irrelevancies/facts/detail having been shunted aside - it is easy to simply be scornful of any view which doesn't align with yours

Following the massacre in Christchurch last month our government has seen itself as being on something of a "war footing" and has rammed through - a la Port Arthur - legislation which will ban almost all semi-automatic rifles; be they in legitimate use or not.  Because of the universal condemnation of the (sadly, Australian) gunman's actions, the government was able to find almost unanimous support for legislation it had been wanting to pass for several decades

If there were to be universal recognition re global warming that things were, indeed, bloody urgent - then governments around the globe might be able to pass legislation to make real change as opposed to a light green-washing (in a manner similar to that adopted by our government re semi-autos) because they would have a "mandate" to do so

Failing that . . .

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2019, 05:55:33 AM »
"globull warming"  tags the writing as something not worth reading in my book. 

I understand where you are coming from Bruce.
The minute I see any mention of C02 I think here we go again and look for something more interesting to read than the predictable and endlessly repeated hysteria about how the world is going to end because there is a fraction more if this harmless gas in the atmosphere which plants thrive on anyway.

That sort of bologna was cooled up by the Koch brothers and other large petro corps as part of their disinformation campaigns.  Only a Koch puppet would use it.

I don't know who the koch brothers are and I came up with that as one of my many word plays all by myself.
I think it fits nicely but it does not agree with some peoples beliefs. They have their own descriptive terms as well like Deniers so balances out in the end.   ;D

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2019, 06:53:55 AM »

Casey, I'm not sure this particular part of your audience here would recognise a preposition if it was swimming in his soup . . .

Must be that time of the month again. Someone's getting all narky and out to point score again.
Another week we'll be all nice and pleasant and then back to being bitchy.  ::)

One of the dubious things social media has given us is the ability to surround oneself with like-minded folk who will reinforce your position until opinion begins to feel like fact.  At which point - irrelevancies/facts/detail having been shunted aside - it is easy to simply be scornful of any view which doesn't align with yours

I agree. The greenwashed have a terrible bad habit of this. Even when the flawed parroted mantra's are pointed out, they will  insist there can be no other  fact or explanation than what they have been brainwashed with.

They will also Cherry pick single points conducive to their argument and ignore all others which don't promote it in the light they want to project.

I really don't care what people believe but the Dreamers ( that's the opposite to Deniers) aren't happy with that and want to shove their POV down everyone's throats instead of letting them make up their own minds. Then they get sand in their vagina's when the other party don't drink the green Koolaide.

I saw this morning another media sook piece because people aren't buying enough EV's in Oz.
Ahhh, hello? since when did I have to buy something to appease someone else's agendas and to suit them rather than myself??
If I was to do an article complaining EV sales are eating into IC profits there would be an outcry yet the greenwashed are supposed to get their way but no one else is allowed to get theirs.  Typical.

I don't see the deniers taking the lead trying to convert the dreamers, they are a defensive rather than an offensive side.  People can believe what they want as long as they don't try and convert me to their church or get offended when I don't want to attend.
Unlike some propose, it's not stupid not to believe at all, it's just a matter of not being convinced.

If there were to be universal recognition re global warming that things were, indeed, bloody urgent - then governments around the globe might be able to pass legislation to make real change as opposed to a light green-washing (in a manner similar to that adopted by our government re semi-autos) because they would have a "mandate" to do so.

Well look on the bright side, once there is some real and undeniable evidence rather than the opinion that is championed as science, the climate warriors will get  the immediate changes they want and the world will be saved!

Just have to wait for that one undeniable event and all the green believers dreams will come true like all the presents on their Christmas wish list arriving at once.

I would suggest it would be helpful to get their story straight though. It seems to be changing almost endlessly.
I am seeing more and more that those that were previously jumping for joy that unreliables would be able to easily power the world and there would be no reason to build coal or nuke power plants and would be unviable to do so are now in fact championing nuke. I caught one greenwashed zealot out today on another forum and found a post of his from just over 13 months back saying there would never be nuke in oz because we have so much sunshine and can build big Blatterys etc now saying we need to look at nukes.

It's apparent the Unreliable argument is quickly coming to light as a non viable dream which is unfortunate although was never realistic to me from the start. We all want clean energy with no drawbacks but utopia is seldom that convenient to achieve. 

Nuuzealund and Norway many end up being the only 2 relatively unsoiled places in the world thanks to their natural resources ability to generate reliable power 24/7.

Only got a couple of years to decide if I want to buy my way in to NZ and they may not even let me seeing I'm neither Asian or Indian like 80% of the rest of the population there particularly around Auckland.

Will take them at least 3 decades to build a nuke here the way things get stuffed around but I figure the next 3-5 years is going to be very interesting and telling here and around the world.

In any case, we can all sit back and relax and no need to argue. If the proof comes that every one can see Gubbermints will act swiftly to outlaw everything that causes the problems and the green initiatives will be put into full immediate swing and there will be nothing to worry about.
If nothing happens then we won't have worried ourselves or pissed money up the wall for nothing.

I think everyone would agree that without that definitive sign, nothing real is going to be done anyway.
Long as we have our listers and other engines, we here are all going to be fine!   ;D

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2019, 11:51:26 AM »
Hi Glort, I`m afraid that we are going exactly down the route of pissing money up the wall. We have an upcoming federal election between the capitalist Liberal Party and the socialist Labour Party. The socialists are arguing for electric vehicle, while the capitalists are for fossil fuels.

I believe the socialists will win this election due to the back stabbing and in fighting that has occurred in the Liberal Party. So, after four years of the Liberals bringing the budget and national debt back under control, we will once again have a socialist government with a healthy looking national credit card they can use to shove their views down our throats.

The incoming Labour Government will implement legislation in favor of EV`s and outlawing ICE`s, this will be fine for city dwellers but have catastrophic effects on those of us who live in the bush. The bush will be filled with solar generation facilities, battery storage facilities and new power lines to keep the overpaid and unproductive city dwellers comfortable. Those of us who are lucky enough to live in unpolluted pristine countryside will be expected to put up with the outfall from electricity generation plants and clean up the mess left by solar/battery banks discarded by businesses that will quickly fail once the Labour government subsidies are removed after the next but one election.

My advice is to live as remotely as possible, build walls/fences around your property and buy a gun, I no longer trust any of these politicians to look after my best interests, they are all too busy looking after their own interests and pork barreling to get votes. The alternative is to jump on the band wagon and screw the f*cked up system for all you can get out of it in the next four years, take every government subsidy you can get,  bank it and then stick two fingers up at the next election.

Bob

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2019, 12:41:25 PM »

I think you are correct Bob.
Labour is well in bed with the greens and we saw the absolute Fiasco they caused last time round.

There is no doubt a HUGE disparity between the beliefs of the PC softcocks in the city and the down to earth people in the bush and that's not limited to environmental issues by any stretch.  The city people just tend to think what they believe everyone does. People in the bush are far more realistic and aware of a lot of things in my experience.  Glad i'm heading north again tomorrow  for a week or 2.  Dad is having a small OP on Tuesday so Nurse glort will be in charge.

I have many times seen the EV green crowd plainly state that EV's are better even if powered by coal because it puts the pollution in the country side where it's not such a Problem.... For them.
I think this is very indicative of the selfish mentality as well as narrow minded attitude of many .  If I read or hear about the " No tail pipe  or oil changes" rubbish again i'm going loose my shit.

On that note, I'm going to concede defeat on this climate change topic and bow out.
MY ability to self moderate and get overly excited on these issues in not good and I don't want to cause any more division here.  It's not worth it and these discussions always go down the same track.

No matter what any of us think here the future actions will not be decided by us so it's not worth  causing hostilities over here.

I'll just say I was wrong, apologise for any upset caused and leave it at that.

Still happy to whinge about idiotic gubbermint decisions that do not serve  the climate believers or non believers but rather feather the nest of gubbermint  election campaign main supporters.

Once again, we are faced with a decision not of whom is the better pack of lying snakes in the grass but the ones who we think will screw the country over slightly less than the other morons.

I won't be voting for other either. I'm going to be all  PC and gender equality for once and vote for a certain red headed woman. She will never be in power but the more power she has  with her right thinking to keep the other idiots under control,  the better. I'm surprised she didn't have a better showing in the last election but I think once all the country people in all the states have a say she will do very well.

I think a LOT of the other independents are going to do well this time round also.  Everyone I talk to is sick of the mainstream idiots and much to my surprise are quite openly admitting they will be going for the under dogs as well.
Wonder how many Prime Ministers we will have this time round in the one term?

I always laughed at the whole Preppers ideal and thing it was overkill buy a lot of zealots. having ones own generator and a good supply of fuel is just looking like good forethought more and more every day here.

God ( or your preferred Daiety) help the city folk whom are completely dependent on the grid whom are about to get a taste of the idiots they voted for in action.

I'm 2 streets back from the very edge of the Sydney Sprawl.  Behind us is all bush till you get to the west coast 4000 Km away.  Been saying to the mrs for some months now, suburbia is chasing and catching up to us, I think we should have gone further out.
The last blocks that will ever be available in this area which is noe deemed the most desirable in Sydney are selling for $1m+ down the road.

At least when we move further out we will be able to get something decent  for what we will be able to get for this place.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2019, 02:27:37 PM »
Hey Glort, I am with you completely that the current mob of politicians are a waste of rations. Please don`t give up on trying to educate them. You are one of the last sensible voices on all the forums I visit. Do it for your children, at least on your death bed you will be able to say "I told you so"

Bob

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2019, 06:05:59 PM »
I enjoy reading glort.  He saves me from reading the Trump doctrine each morning.  I know there's a great job waiting for you in Washington D.C. glort.  Incidentally, you're not suppose to know who the Koch brothers are.  A very stealth organization based on incredible petroleum profits of their forefathers. 

The strongest force for reduction in birth rate is wealth.  Increased wealth results in reduced population growth.  This is the phenomena that got Bill Gates labeled as a child hater and accused of poisonous inoculation programs.  Just when you think you're all the way down town Craziville you see another short cut to another part of town you didn't even know existed. 

I did pick up a prune tree and planted it this last week in celebration of Earth Day.  Thanks for the thread.  I may have apples from last year and the previous years planting as well.

NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245