Author Topic: Earth Hour  (Read 1508 times)

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Re: Earth Hour
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2019, 10:46:16 AM »
Once again we are witnessing the planet and its inhabitants going to hell in a handcart. The greedy and powerful have taken over and are milking the system for all it`s worth. Today we are having a Budget in Australia, my understanding is that the federal government has enough money for tax cuts.

The wealthy types can expect an extra $1000 a week pocket money, while the workers can expect $40 a week! My electric bill went up by more than that!

When are the politicians going to start looking after the people who voted for them and stop supporting the globalists who financed their election campaign?

Bob

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2019, 12:34:59 PM »
When are the politicians going to start looking after the people who voted for them and stop supporting the globalists who financed their election campaign?

Never would be my Guess Bob.

Politics has become that rotten the world over people are just so used to being screwed over and lied to they just take it as par for the course now.
As such, the pollies don't have any compunction about justifying what they do with absolute crap and garbage. It's a dangerous situation that will only get worse till we have complete anarchy between the haves and have nots.

Say the non PC thing about a minority group, no matter how true, and the world comes down on you.
Completely lie your arse off about a matter of national importance will millions at stake and no one bats an eyelid.

As usual, with the Federal election Coming up, the decision will just be which pack of mongerals are any Less inept and rotten than the other lot?

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2019, 03:47:58 PM »
Once they have castrated democracy all that is left is bloody revolution and we don`t want that! Perhaps it is time that right minded people got a little more involved in politics. Start local and work our way up, any ideas or suggestions?

Bob

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2019, 05:26:53 PM »
Isn't it wonderful how nice we all are playing with each other?

Still, three weeks ago I couldn't remember "Earth Day".  I wonder if I'll remember it next year?  Cleaner energy simply has to happen.  The planet is finite.  Consuming warm bodies are not (as). 

I watch a large trust organization here in Hawaii.  They do a fairly good job but do have a couple of recurring problems.  They keep pulling their management team out of the same gene pool and expect change.  Is it "stupidity" or "craziness" that is defined as doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome?  If you want a different outcome from your team politico you must go to a different gene pool.  Scary stuff. 

Chores call.

NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2019, 07:59:57 PM »
There is a way to restore democracy partially, and that is to have public funding for elections and outlaw lobbying entirely.  Make the penalties for graft and corruption life very, very heavy.
And of course, term limits.  Power corrupts humans, period.

Good luck getting that passed by representatives who have spent half their lives taking corporate money.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2019, 10:31:56 PM »
Perhaps it is time that right minded people got a little more involved in politics. Start local and work our way up, any ideas or suggestions?

Bob

There are a number of independent parties now running here. I voted or them in the state election and I will be again in the Federal election and I'm sure as hell not talking about the greens.
They are unbelievably hell bent on screwing the place with their moronic ideas. They got a bit of power before and made a dogs breakfast of it, I don't want to see them given the same opportunity to destroy the country again.  Shamed to admit I did vote for them years back but then they got a bit of power and went completely nuts.

There are some other independents that I will be ticking the box for. They won't get near a majority but they will get enough seats to keep the others from running completely amok.

I am amzed at the support the majors still get. They have all proven what corrupt morons they are yet they still get voted in over the independents whom  in many cases have done good and decent things and their platforms make much more sense.
Probably just a sign how complacent people have become and the amount of corruption in the system.

I think at very least with campaigning it should be made law it can only be done on merit and self promotion.
Make them stand on their merits ( whatever they may be?) instead of spending a Million bucks on just putting shit on the other guy.

If they are so  great and worthy of the job, let them tell us about it, not just run other people down which is a cop out when you haven't got anything to hold out as examples of a good job you have done. 

You don't get to do that in any other job so should not be allowed to do it with politics.

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2019, 05:43:29 PM »
Is this the Brexit thread.  I thought I read that one.

True democracy is on the way.  That'll just might be the circus to end all circuses.

True democracy is where everything is voted on by all of the people.  Perhaps we'll put our cell device next to the chip in our breast and run through the votes of the day making our choices known. 

At any rate, representative government is getting a real thrashing in our opinion poles.  When you've got a better idea the world is waiting for your insight.
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2019, 09:35:50 PM »
As Winston Churchill is reputed to have said,

'Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others'

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2019, 08:03:27 AM »
I was listening today to a report on the radio about a machine that scrubs CO2 out of air - works well, is reliable, can be scaled up easily,  is fairly cheap to run and its by-product is a carbon-based liquid fuel ideal for internal combustion engines.  See?  I KNEW tech would rescue us!   AND it makes petrol for us to keep burning.  Win-win

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2019, 09:47:26 AM »

I'll bet $1000 we'll never see such a machine.

If it did what it said, you can bet it uses more energy than put in and probably has some back end by product that is worse than the co2 it cleans up.

If it is practical, it will never be allowed by gubbermints in case they loose tax revenue or it disturbs the green hell bent Electric car mandate.

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2019, 04:43:04 PM »
I'll bet $1000 we'll never see such a machine.

I'm always nervous when I agree with glort.

Are the plans for this contraption in the same cabinet as the clean coal plant? 
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

mikenash

• View Profile
Re: Earth Hour and my $1000 please
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2019, 09:57:34 PM »
I heard one of the engineers from the Canadian company doing this work speaking on Radio New Zealand yesterday "it must be true"

He said the machinery was 'working now", "very scaleable", "relatively inexpensive", and produced nothing but "a carbon fuel in a ready-to-use state suitable for automotive use"

Check out the news story:

https://www.bbc.com/news/video_and_audio/science_and_environment

And check out the company:

https://carbonengineering.com/

And check out the CO2-fuel process:

https://carbonengineering.com/about-a2f/

Can I please have my $1000 in NZ dollars? 

(It's very easy to be a "knocker" or a "sceptic" but every now and then IMHO one actually has to have a look at things before deriding them as "greenwash" or dismissing it with " never be allowed by gubbermints in case they loose tax revenue or it disturbs the green hell bent Electric car mandate"

Cash in a brown envelope will be acceptable

glort

• View Profile
Re: Earth Hour and my $1000 please
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2019, 11:03:08 PM »

Can I please have my $1000 in NZ dollars? 

Sure Can!  Will save me heap on the exchange rate!

But not so fast my short , long beaked friend.
The thing is still only in the "More money in developing the thing and getting investor bucks than actually making and producing them" Stage just yet.

2018-2021: Commercial validation

2021: Broad commercial deployment

In 2021, following commercial validation, CE will move to deploy the first full scale, commercial AIR TO FUELS™ facilities that directly synthesize liquid fuels, and supply them to end users within existing transportation fuels infrastructure and markets.

I'd say you have at least 3 years to wait for your pay off, or I have mine seeing you have taken the bet. 
I'll have mine in US Dollars thanks given we can nominate Currency.

(It's very easy to be a "knocker" or a "sceptic" but every now and then IMHO one actually has to have a look at things before deriding them as "greenwash" or dismissing it with " never be allowed by gubbermints in case they loose tax revenue or it disturbs the green hell bent Electric car mandate"

It's also pretty easy these days to come up with a green concept and have Gubbermints and industry throw Millions at it in order for them to look like they are doing something about globull warming. Startups are everywhere and like the revolutionary breakthrough  vehicle engine that has been just around the corner for 50+ years and had 100,000 press releases about how it " could" or 'Might" or some other non committal pronoun about changing the world, it still hasn't happened.  Only one new limited application engine which is now dead anyway.

One needs to understand, these ideas don't actually need to work and be put into practice to make money for the people involved, they can take them to a point and then say Ah well, we have run into this problem or another and sell off the company assets including some patents/ technology some other company with vested interests may buy to make sure it's never put into practice and eliminate a threat to their business.

I see on the site BHP have thrown $6M into the hat.  Might be that they are interested in using this just so if carbon tax comes back in the future they can minimise their exposure or even earn money with that.  may have no intention or interest in making fuel, just want the tech for other reasons.  Maybe the EV industry will buy up the tech and shelve it so their investment isn't threatened or markets reduced?

If one takes these feel good stories/ initiatives on face value they would be very naieve indeed but I'm sure the vested interests would thank you for believing and supporting them which is exactly what they need in order for the bux to keep rolling in.

Cash in a brown envelope will be acceptable

Yeah, I bet it will be to a whole load of entity's and interests and it will be a lot bigger brown bag than you or I have ever seen.

So what will we give it before one of us has to pay up? 3 years, 5?  I'm happy to wait 5 Because I could wait 50 if I had that long and none of these things will EVER be put into commercial deployment.

Here's the death knell why they will never be put into any sort of widespread use from a newspaper article which illustrates the exact reason only for the naieve they spell it out as an advantage.

“Any country, any region, can have its own fuel. They’d be no longer dependent on the geopolitical situation if Country X has oil and Country Y does not.”

And right there is why you will never see this in any soprt of practical, wide spread use. Political power and global stability.

There is no way in hell the powers that be are going to give away energy independence and Profits.
Even countries that have have virtually unlimited hydro electric  or Geothermal power could become fuel self sufficient or even start exporting.  Anyone thinks that upset in the oil industry is going to be allowed to happen?   ::)

Little backwards countries could invest in solar and get liquid fuels as well and therefore be able to power armies and military to take over other nations as so many have been fighting  amongst themselves for decades. At very least, the savings they make on importing oil could be put to buying weapons.

It's NEVER about whether it works or not, there are always a heap of reasons as usual governed by big biz and Gubbermints that are the reason so many of these break through and disruptive technology's will never make it past feel good headlines and here is yet another. 
Fuel and energy is a HUGE security threat to the world balance of power.

Are we also going to adjust out bet to allow for inflation between now and in 5 years time?
Wanna make it $10K?
Please?

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2019, 04:54:32 PM »
I though I read some pie in the sky as well.  But money distracts from the mission.  Let's hope for the best for this company.  I hope my broker isn't holding his breath for the commission on this transaction from me.
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2019, 06:22:04 AM »
According to the company site, the equivalent of 250,000 cars worth of CO per unit per year.
The energy cost of running it could be substantial as well.

This kind of stuff will likely be used to justify doing nothing.