Author Topic: Lister JP 1/9 Startomatic manual / Instruction book  (Read 7408 times)

listard-jp2

• View Profile
Re: Lister JP 1/9 Startomatic manual / Instruction book
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2019, 09:31:41 PM »
That's good news, that the main bearing journals are in good order, what is the condition of the white metal man bearing bushes like?

To ensure liner removal with no damage to liner or crankcase, the best way will be to make up a liner extractor, the JP liners are usually quite easy to remove, however be prepared for years worth of rust to drop into the sump when you pull the liner.

Listeria

• View Profile
LIster JP 1/9 rebuild
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2019, 05:16:38 AM »
More questions about my JP 1/9 rebuild.
I've got a new con rod with standard size big end bearing
The journal on the crankshaft is in need of a gentle burnishing but not grossly out of round.
The averaged measurements taken at 4 points along the length of the journal were:

TDC                 2.991   Inches

TDC + 90        2.995      "

BDC                2.991      "

BDC + 90        2.997      "

I don't have an accurate inside micrometer to measure the new bearing or access to a JP manual with the bearing dimensions and clearance specs
Can anyone help me with bearing clearance?
Heading out to workshop to try and remove the old cylinder liner now.
Thanks
L

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2019, 05:40:11 AM »
Guys, help me- what's the name of the telescoping T handled devices with allow you to do inside measurement- with your outside micrometer?  I've got a set and they work great.

listard-jp2

• View Profile
Re: LIster JP 1/9 rebuild
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2019, 02:49:42 PM »
More questions about my JP 1/9 rebuild.
Can anyone help me with bearing clearance?

I can't find my JP workshop manual at present, but from the same era, a Glacier bearing catalogue I have states the STD big end journal size as 2.9980" / 2.9975"

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2019, 12:44:44 PM »
Hi Mike.

Pick any three words from the Chinese description!

eBay UK item number:192694687630

6Pcs 8-150mm Telescopic Gauge Set T-Bore Cylinder Hole telescopin internal

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

Listeria

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2019, 01:40:13 AM »
I’ve got the cylinder liner out, I tried to drag it out with 2 hooks attached to a chain winch, lifted the engine a half inch of the ground and went to bed, still there in the morning.
So I made a puller, 2 lengths of 24 mm HT threaded rod, two cross bars made of double layers of 10 x 30 mm flat bar. The top one sitting on a frame, made of 25 mm RHS and 75 mm channel, sitting over the studs and the other bar under the base of the liner, each of these cross bars had 2 rod guides of 30mm RHS tube welded to them. The top bar was solid but the bottom was designed with a central M12 HT bolt backed off 1 turn from tight to allow a bit of movement of the 2 plates as each of the long HT rods was tightened in turn.
It took 2 of us pushing and pulling together on a 50 cm tube extension to the spanner on the top nuts, it was all we could do to get a quarter at a time.
Anyway it’s out, you were right about the crud that had accumulated over 67 years, caught it all in a layer of rags.
I’m getting back to it tomorrow, (work interferes with the business of real life), I’m going to use a red Plastiguage to check the bearing clearance.
Getting the new liner back in, not sure, I’m planning to chill it down with dry ice and warm the block with the oxy, then lubricate it with some INOX lanolin and spray push/whack it down using the old liner as a pusher, failing that I’ll run a length of 10 mm chain under the engine (it’s on a pallet) and then modify the tube guide and plates attaching the chain to the ends of the long 24 mm HT rods, with a length of 75 mm channel a leather pad, a stout hardwood block on the top of the liner and then screw it down.
L