Puppeteer

Author Topic: Armstrong Siddeley 10 HP diesel engine  (Read 4172 times)

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Armstrong Siddeley 10 HP diesel engine
« on: February 24, 2019, 06:40:04 AM »
Hi Guys, I had a mate turn up today with an engine I have never seen before. It is a single cylinder Armstrong Siddeley 10 HP air cooled diesel. It is in remarkably good condition for it`s age, it turns over but has low compression (probably valve seats judging by the air hiss). I have been invited to help with the restoration of this beauty so if anyone has any information please get in touch. In return I will post pictures showing the internals of this beast, on the forum. I have posted a couple of pics to get your attention.

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Re: Armstrong Siddeley 10 HP diesel engine
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 06:42:54 AM »
Just a couple more pics,

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 08:00:10 AM »
Hi Glort, he has no idea what to do with it. I made several suggestions including giving it to me for my Birthday or Christmas, which went down like a lead balloon, especially as I had previously talked him into giving me the Southern Cross ETB and delivering it for nothing.

Interestingly the aluminium fan/flywheel shroud is drilled and tapped to take a bell housing for coupling a gearbox or generator head, it could also have been used for some sort of marine application. I will try to talk him into a generator set up, I wonder if Stephen at Ozlisteroids still has any ST10 genny heads left. It has a four slot B belt pulley which would be ideal for a generator setup.

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 09:23:19 AM »
Hi Glort, I`ll email Stephen in the morning to find out what he has left. As for fixing it, I do this sort of work for free as I am not a registered business and can provide no insurances or guarantees. To me it is only a hobby to stop me climbing the walls from boredom and frustration, I only expect to be reimbursed for parts and etc at cost price, I will provide you with all receipts.

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 10:38:59 AM »
Hi Glort, my Wife just pointed out that in our car the passenger seat is occupied by me and that none of the whining noises have anything to do with the door! Thanks buddy.  :laugh:

Glad you have spousal approval for investment in back up generation, wish I could achieve the same miracle.

Bob

oldgoat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 11:02:15 AM »
These were fitted as standard equipment on hydro master drill rigs 11 hp at 1200 rpm if my memory serves me correctly. Bugger to start on a cold morning the starting procedure was to take the bowl off the air cleaner wire a  a petrol soaked rag in place there then 6 turns of rope round the flywheel and tow it with the ute. They would usually catch as the last turn came off the flywheel

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 11:46:27 AM »
Hi OSM, I believe that these are rated at 10 HP continuous but will do more when run at 1500 RPM. After your description of starting problems I`m not sure that a knackered old guy like me will ever get it to start. I can always get a young guy to do the grunt work by offering them free beer, might be time to get the home brew system back up and running.

Bob