Puppeteer

Author Topic: SOM Gen heads, any idea on wiring?  (Read 5543 times)

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
SOM Gen heads, any idea on wiring?
« on: August 02, 2006, 11:32:20 PM »
I finally have my SOM
Looking at the Genhead it says it si 230 volt, 50 cycles.  But I'll be damned if I can figure out the wires, most are pretty shot.  I'm thinking of taking the unit to a rebuilders to get them to modify for Canada 60 cycles and put some colour coded wires (or just something labeled would be nice)

Anyone here have any experiance with these units?
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
Re: SOM Gen heads, any idea on wiring?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 12:23:13 AM »
60 Hz means spinning it faster, so either set the 6/1 to run at 780 RPM, or preferably turn down the alternator pulley to the correct diameter.

Getting the head serviced by someone who knows what they are doing is always a good idea, esp for a 50 year old bit of kit.

Allows you time to clean out / up the 6/1 and fire it up >;^)

--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

t19

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 12:29:44 AM »
without a starting handle that will be a little difficult :(

yeah I think the prof clean out is the way to go.  Had a look at that alternator pulley, that would be a a bugger to get off and turned but I will look into it.  I think utterpower has the formula for setting the right diamater for the smaller head  BTW sent you an email, Pictures to follow but right now its raining cats and dogs
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 12:50:32 AM »
without a starting handle that will be a little difficult :(

nope, pair of chrome leather gloves and spin the rim if you're feeling dainty, or a broom handle in the flywheel, just throw it clear before thinking about the decompressor

if you have an old 1/2 hp electric motor with a pulley lying around use that.

even one of these, just use a big socket with some rubber to grip the crank

--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

t19

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 05:41:29 PM »
Thanks JohnF
He gave me a spare handle.  I have some pictures I'll post later today, and yes my head has the 6 bolts - just checked

I was able to have a quick look at Johns 6/1, and mine has some extra gear around the Governor, that might have been causing the hunting.  Looks like a seliod of some sort hock in that stops the governor from moving.  Must be part of the automatic start features.  Since I sill not be using that, I'll have to disconnect it.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 05:44:09 PM by t19 »

listeroil

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 10:54:59 PM »
I might well be able to help you sort your startomatic wiring it depends which alternator you have it seems like lister made lots of differant startomatic alternator heads. If you let me know how many wires come out of the top of the genhead and how many dc brushes the ones that go the commutator, what the kw rating on the brass plate says and also the shunt regulator value which is on another brass plate on the gen head  Also do you have the top box that goes on the genhead because this contains essential kit that you need to make it produce 230 volts ie the shunt regulator resistor.
let me know these details and I will try and help you out.
Mick

t19

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006, 11:57:57 PM »
Thanks
I took the easy way out, dropped it off a a rebuilder to get new wires installed and he is going to put a control box on it, as mine came without one

Chaz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 01:54:28 AM »
60 Hz means spinning it faster, so either set the 6/1 to run at 780 RPM, or preferably turn down the alternator pulley to the correct diameter.

Getting the head serviced by someone who knows what they are doing is always a good idea, esp for a 50 year old bit of kit.

Allows you time to clean out / up the 6/1 and fire it up >;^)

Caution: spinning it up to 60Hz will also increase the output voltage to ~280v.
1950 Lister CS 3 1/2 - 1

Doug

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 01:59:51 AM »
Not an issue Chaz, just reduce the field excitation, efficiency may drop but such is life. I want to know if he has a center tap.
If not I'm going to have to scavenge "Doug Mart " for transformer for him....

Doug

I still owe Bob two contatcors, but I am slow an lazy....