Author Topic: Southern Cross ETB diesel engine  (Read 21207 times)

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Southern Cross ETB diesel engine
« on: February 13, 2019, 12:28:10 AM »
Hi Guys, I am awaiting the delivery of a Southern Cross ETB 2.5 HP diesel engine. Manufactured in Australia circa 1950, they were also manufactured briefly in South Africa. This engine has sat in a mate`s shed for the last 20 years. I have finally persuaded him to part with it for free!  :) 

Sadly it is incomplete, missing the fuel injector, pump and fuel lines. The originals would have been made by an Australian company called Pyrox, who manufactured injectors and pumps under license from Bosch.

I have been unable to find much out about the missing items but believe they are very similar to the units used on a Lister CS 3/1. I suspect that I might have to change the injector nozzles and fiddle with the pop pressures a bit to get them to work properly. Any thoughts please?

I have attached a photo of a complete ETB I found on the internet, probably a breach of someone`s copyright, for which I apologize in advance. I will post photos of my unit once it arrives.

Bob

mikenash

• View Profile
Re: Southern Cross ETB diesel engine
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 01:29:38 AM »
Perhaps Rob at OldTimer Engines could help with a suitable pump?

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 02:56:11 AM »
Thanks Mike, I`ve been looking at a few Youtube videos and it would appear that the injector pump timing must be adjusted with shims as there is no access to the plunger or cam that drives it. Interestingly the fuel injector is side mounted in the head.

I`ll flick an email to Rob once I get the engine here.

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 11:38:01 AM »
Hi Glort. when I bought my Lister CS, the farmer also had a YBT. I chose the Lister because it turned over, while the other was seized. Parts for Lister engines are readily available,.New parts for old Southern Cross engines would have to be manufactured at huge cost. That said, you only have to look at the work being done by 38ac to see what can be achieved by a determined and skilled individual.

When it gets dark here I can see the entire Milky Way in the sky, No wonder that earlier people worshiped the heavens and learned to use them to navigate the globe.

Bob

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 02:55:29 PM »
 You guys have all the best old engines over there :(
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 04:08:47 PM »
I'm "centrally located" aka middle of nowhere, at 5600 ft and the night sky is very bright here too; the plane of the Milky Way is obvious. A big reminder of how very small we are, even within our own galaxy.

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 02:57:51 PM »
"A big reminder of how very small we are, even within our own galaxy. "

Or that someone stole the damn tent while I was asleep.....

E
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 03:06:08 PM »
Years back I read something to the effect of....

'How amazing would it be if there was another sentient life form out there, somewhere. How amazing would it be if there wasn't?'

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2019, 02:57:56 AM »
Well guys, the 1955 ETB landed in my shed today. It is missing a few bits but I am hopeful that I will be able to find these at old timer engines. An early inspection suggests that it has suffered water ingress at some time. The piston is OK but the bore is badly corroded and will need sleeving. I attach a couple of photos just to make you all envious. If anyone has any information about these engines please let me know.

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2019, 08:10:53 AM »
Hi Glort, sadly I no longer drive so going anywhere generally involves days of careful negotiation with She who must be obeyed!

Having looked at fuel injectors, I am convinced that an injector from a Lister CS 3/1 could work well if I adjusted the pop pressure a little. I might have to turn up an adapter sleeve to ensure a good fit and fabricate a hold down plate.

There is a guy in Toowoomba that has some spare parts for these engines, I will be contacting him this week and let you know how I go.

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2019, 08:45:47 AM »
Further to my last post, I have just taken the rocker cover off and found a missing bolt in the rocker assembly, nothing that can`t be replaced. I also noticed that the diaphragm on this engine is built into the rocker cover allowing hot oil fumes to lubricate the rocker gear and valves. I also noted that this must be one of the earliest engines to have tubular push rods with toughened steel inserts at either end, I thought that was introduced by the Japanese in the 1970s.

One of the cylinder head bolts is nearly rusted through (see photo)

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2019, 10:26:52 AM »
Hey Glort, It`s a nice dream but that`s all it is. Can I recommend you take your medications with food and maybe have a short lie down after.

The corroded cylinder bolt is very odd, I wonder if there is a leak in the cylinder gasket which blew hot gasses and humid air onto it for years. Either way it`s got to be replaced and before that I am going to have plenty of fun trying to get the old one out.

Bob

sirpedrosa

• 21NOV2019 - Finally I hear that sound... again
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2019, 04:05:55 PM »
Hi Bob

that's it Bob, nothing like having a "carcass", always on hand so the brain has to do it - a good old machine to do a "peeling".

And negotiations with "She" to drive, is only a necessary evil for a greater good. I'm in your page... she call's basement the "office", and other things "I don't remember".

Last thursday I asked for transportation assistance from a friend (82 years) to my 12/2 block, to lay it down in my parents' place, and along the way people asked the reason I wanted that engine (they see it as scrap). The only answer I could muster was that it was to preserve some history of the village.

I promised them that engine will show his smoke...

Cheers.
VP
By order of firing up:
Bernard 18A - 1968 (mama's water pump - year of my birth)
Petter PAZ1 - Jun 1967, 3HP, sn 416xxxx
Petter PAZ1 - Nov 1979, 3HP, sn 425xxxx
Lister 12/2 - 12651227, the pearl!
Deutz MAH 914, 1952 - Zündfix in chamber and go (7Mai2023).

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2019, 09:59:03 PM »
Well done Pedrosa for being the person in your village who cares about your history and heritage. Once you have it restored and on show, the local people will stand and stare in awe at the simplicity and beauty of this old engine. They will also be ashamed and wonder why they never thought to preserve such a wonderful item themselves.

Now that you have got it home you get the joy of cleaning 60 or more years of crap out of it. When I did mine I got so dirty my wife would not let me in the house. I had to strip off all my clothes outside!

Good luck, have fun.

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2019, 06:38:20 AM »
Hi Glort, having grown up and spent most of my life in the UK I learned that taking ones clothes off outside was a bad idea, not because we Brits are shy or prudish but because it is too bloody cold!  :laugh:

Bob