Slow Speed Diesel Engines > Other Slow Speed Diesels

Southern Cross ETB diesel engine

(1/15) > >>

ajaffa1:
Hi Guys, I am awaiting the delivery of a Southern Cross ETB 2.5 HP diesel engine. Manufactured in Australia circa 1950, they were also manufactured briefly in South Africa. This engine has sat in a mate`s shed for the last 20 years. I have finally persuaded him to part with it for free!  :) 

Sadly it is incomplete, missing the fuel injector, pump and fuel lines. The originals would have been made by an Australian company called Pyrox, who manufactured injectors and pumps under license from Bosch.

I have been unable to find much out about the missing items but believe they are very similar to the units used on a Lister CS 3/1. I suspect that I might have to change the injector nozzles and fiddle with the pop pressures a bit to get them to work properly. Any thoughts please?

I have attached a photo of a complete ETB I found on the internet, probably a breach of someone`s copyright, for which I apologize in advance. I will post photos of my unit once it arrives.

Bob

mikenash:
Perhaps Rob at OldTimer Engines could help with a suitable pump?

ajaffa1:
Thanks Mike, I`ve been looking at a few Youtube videos and it would appear that the injector pump timing must be adjusted with shims as there is no access to the plunger or cam that drives it. Interestingly the fuel injector is side mounted in the head.

I`ll flick an email to Rob once I get the engine here.

Bob

ajaffa1:
Hi Glort. when I bought my Lister CS, the farmer also had a YBT. I chose the Lister because it turned over, while the other was seized. Parts for Lister engines are readily available,.New parts for old Southern Cross engines would have to be manufactured at huge cost. That said, you only have to look at the work being done by 38ac to see what can be achieved by a determined and skilled individual.

When it gets dark here I can see the entire Milky Way in the sky, No wonder that earlier people worshiped the heavens and learned to use them to navigate the globe.

Bob

38ac:
 You guys have all the best old engines over there :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version