Author Topic: For those near Brisvegas ( Bob) potential cheap ST2  (Read 2849 times)

guest22972

For those near Brisvegas ( Bob) potential cheap ST2
« on: February 12, 2019, 10:37:45 AM »

For those in the northerly, sunny part of oz, I hate you.  Oh, and there is a supposely running ST2 being auctioned which is at $1 atm.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LISTER-DIESEL-ENGINE-ST2-2-CYLINDER-14-6-20HP-with-Operators-Handbook/153365681662?hash=item23b54e95fe:g:6n8AAOSwkRdcWV0s:rk:32:pf:0

Could be a real bargain. Usualy these things go for stupid money here. nice to see somone that will let the market decide what it's worth... which will be interesting to see.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Re: For those near Brisvegas ( Bob) potential cheap ST2
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 11:40:45 PM »
Love you too!  :laugh: I`m not in the market for a second ST2 but it will be interesting to see what it goes for.  I spent around $1000 on completely rebuilding mine, re-bored cylinders, new pistons, bearings, bushes and etc. Total cost for the project including the generator shed and wiring about $3000.

In my opinion this would be a very sound investment for anyone with the time and skills. It would happily drive a 7.5 KVA generator or a large water pump. A lot more economical and long lasting that a petrol generator, for not much more money.

Lets hope someone gives it a good home.
Bob

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 11:50:37 PM »
Hey Bob we have these engines - or some newer equivalent that looks pretty similar - as stand-alone units driving water pumps in remote locations.  They are bloody loud and they seem to vibrate a lot to my eye.  What's it like outside the shed with the door closed?  Cheers, Mike

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 12:45:33 AM »
Hi Mike, since these are air cooled sound proofing is an issue. My generator shed is far enough away from the house for this not to be a big problem, it has a concrete exhaust chamber buried in the ground which helps. I also made louvered doors for it, which also reduces the noise. I have never experienced any vibration problems but that might be because it has rubber mounts and is bolted down onto the 150 Ltr fuel tank. The picture will explain everything.

Bob

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 01:27:59 AM »
Great-looking installation, Bob

Our engines have been attached to belt-driven pumps & mounted on a sort of pallet about 2 metres in width

Because of the rubber mounting, vibration is concentrated in the motor and the standard controller, which sits atop a 40X40 pedestal, rattles around so much the it'll begin to fall to pieces in a few days (poor design).  We just sink a post into the ground nearby & mount it on that - problem solved

Apart from the occasional fuel solenoid or engine oil pressure sender failure - they have been boringly reliable

And, because they go out on farm, they are obviously designed to run for years without an oil change or servicing of any kind too . . .   I guess when the oil low-level circuit throws up its hands in despair, whoever gets called out to fix it, gives it a "birthday" and on it goes . . .

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 06:04:44 AM »
Very classy, working setup, Bob. Beautiful restoration work.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 09:04:14 AM »
Hi Guys, I`m very glad I did this setup before my car accident and subsequent heart attack. I couldn`t begin to tackle a restoration like this now. My recommendation to anyone thinking of doing anything like this is: "do it now, tomorrow may be too late!"

Hi Glort, always difficult to find a compromise between maintaining a happy wife and satisfying your own proclivities, good luck with the drive.

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 11:14:54 AM »
Gen heads in Australia at a sensible price are about as common as rocking horse sh1t. A sensible fellow with a few bucks could make a small fortune importing them and supplying parts and expertise. If I was a young man I would be doing exactly that.  I would set up a web site offering generator heads and adapter plates. pulley wheels, vee belts and etc. I doubt you would get rich but I think you could make a very good living.

Bob

sirpedrosa

• 21NOV2019 - Finally I hear that sound... again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 12:11:51 AM »
Hi Bob

You are indeed young, and your idea is crystal clear of an entrepreneur.
The picture is already made. Go ahead we are with you.
Cheers
VP
By order of firing up:
Bernard 18A - 1968 (mama's water pump - year of my birth)
Petter PAZ1 - Jun 1967, 3HP, sn 416xxxx
Petter PAZ1 - Nov 1979, 3HP, sn 425xxxx
Lister 12/2 - 12651227, the pearl!
Deutz MAH 914, 1952 - Zündfix in chamber and go (7Mai2023).