Author Topic: Madness  (Read 5325 times)

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Re: Madness
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2019, 11:19:19 AM »
Hi Cobbadog, what is the scheduled for next year? I am having surgery on my hands in the next three weeks and so my engine build will come to an end for several months. I would have liked to show it this year but time is against me. I do have a mate, Bob Warner, who has offered to help but I do not know his skill set or capabilities. I haven`t given up on the project, but I do recognize when I am beaten and have too high a mountain to climb in the time available.

Bob

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2019, 12:39:12 PM »
I'm sane!  I'm sane!  I'm sane!  I'm sane!

I now have proof.

For some of us that live close the border proof is required now and then of just which side we lay on.

I had a similar machine 2/3 built when I was about 15 years old. 327 Chevy,   Crosley  rear and trans, frame made from an old crop cultivator.  Was sitting beside it one day contemplating how to steer it and Dad said, You cant be from me and  be that stupid,,,,

I tore it apart and put the motor in a Chevy Nova. Later on a friend and I put a big motor in a bone stock 66 Chevelle.. bolted on some big slicks and it went  9.90 at 135 mph first time down  the quarter mile. We got our butts chewed but good by track personnel and they said dont come back until we  had an 8 point roll bar and met minimum safety standards for that time and speed. And they gave us a rule book, lol.
Stupid? Insane?  The rail birds can and do judge. , what we did was fun, I lived through it,  kept us out of the bars and (mostly) out of trouble.

Who said that machine had one garden tractor part in it beside the hood?? Did i miss something?
Looked pretty  stable at speed to me. If I was 25 again and had the chance Id be on it!!!
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2019, 03:58:51 AM »
Hi bob,
Not too sure what you mean by "what is the schedule for next year"?
It's a bugga when you have to be repaired yourself so that we can continue to play. "Never Surrender" and "have a go" comes to mind. If you are going to be out of action and a mate has offered some help, take him up on it but under supervision. I'm sure that if he is not sure you can advise him of what needs to happen.
I worked as a supervisor on my wife Dees' tractor for a full engine rebuild. OK, I was allowed to get under HRH Sarah Ferguson to drop the sump and get all the crap in my eyes and I did crack all the large bolts but then Dee jumped in and got right into it pulling sleeves and pistons out, removing rings, cleaning everything up and then reassembly. She did a beaut job and it took us 6 Sundays of play time from start to finish and not busting our guts and carefully explaining the job as we went and if I did not offer any info I was quizzed on it. She even set the tappets and she claims you need 3 hands for this but once the fuel got turned on the choke out and a little bit of throttle HRH sparked into life immediately and the grin on Dees' face was worth every minute. So give your mate the benefit of doubt and step him through the process of what you want done, it does work.
I am busting at the seams now waiting for the humidity to drop off so I can have the dustless sand blaster hit up our Cropmaster for painting. This is one of the toys we want to take to the RIR this year along with Flo the Farm Pumper and maybe PINKY.
We are not going to the Nationals and probably never will as my thoughts about the NHMA are not lets say too positive, but we are all able to have our own views on things.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2019, 10:56:46 AM »
Hi Cobbadog, thanks for the encouragement. Love that your tractor is called HRH Sarah Furguson, all my chickens are named after members of the royal family so some of the neighbors think I am a little strange!

Good on Dee for learning to fix it herself, there is nothing overly complicated about what we do and the physical strength issues can always be overcome by mechanical aids and power tools.

I think I`ll give Bob Warner the benefit of the doubt and try to supervise him. He is a very calm man and has some engineering experience, so I should be able to work with him without endangering our friendship. Who knows we might both learn something.

Good luck with the Cropmaster.

Bob

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2019, 02:26:00 AM »
Good news about you and your mate working together. I'm sure if you know each other for a long time you understand what each other does and wants without saying it but keep calm and if something is off track try 'suggesting' a different approach.
Yes, Dee can give out information on her tractor and she has retained the info she has learnt which I am pleased about as it shows a woman can listen.  ;) Her enthusiasm for this hobby is over the top and has a good eye for a good buy.
Back to the TEA 302. I will attach a couple of the pics I took of it so that others here can understand th high level of engineering required to build this beauty.
I do have a pic of the notice board with the details of what has been done but it also has the owners details on it and I'm not sure if he would want that out there or not so I have kept it private unless told otherwise.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2019, 09:19:27 AM »
Now that is a thing of beauty, I`m not sure I would want to plow a field with it but I would love to see the look on the boy racers faces when you leave them in your dust at the traffic lights.   :laugh:

You might want to think about replacing the three point linkage with a wheelie bar, that much engine through a low geared box could easily flip it right over.

Bob

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2019, 05:05:26 PM »
Come on.  This Ford is a Limousine compared to that "What's it's face" at the beginning of this thread.  I'm not saying I'd do 60 MPH on it, as opposed to "in" it.  A very nice job of conversion and I agree with the three point upgrade.
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245