Puppeteer

Author Topic: Laidong and alternative fuels  (Read 7330 times)

Tanman

• View Profile
Laidong and alternative fuels
« on: January 28, 2019, 05:10:48 AM »
Does anyone have any experience using alternative fuels with the Chinese horizontals? The reason I'm asking is because I found a dealer out of Canada that has Laidong's for almost half the price of his listeroids. I'm wondering if the Chinese horizontals are as versatile with fuels as the 6/1's are? My main objective is a reliable, versatile (fuels), and not so thirsty backup generator for my Subaru Robin 5000kw diesel (which is very thirsty under load).
Kubota ea300
Metro 12/2

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Re: Laidong and alternative fuels
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 07:37:49 AM »
Hi Tanman, sounds to me like a very sensible option. Our old mate Glort has several of these and likes them. Since it is only a single cylinder engine it will have a simple plunger type fuel injection pump which would run well on alternative fuels, I`m not sure if they have any electronic exhaust emission monitoring equipment but I`m sure it could be overridden. I believe that Old Seagull Man is currently experimenting with one of these coupled to a ST5 generator head, you might want to check out a couple of his posts.

Bob

Tanman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 04:31:40 PM »
Thanks Bob,

Also, I found a pellet mill company out of Wisconsin that utilizes 22, 15, and 8hp horizontal Chinese diesels for their mills and I just sent them an email. It sounds like they would be willing to sell me just an engine. It sounds like you can run them a little slower and use a little less power and fuel so I'm between the 15hp and 8hp?
Kubota ea300
Metro 12/2

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 04:42:55 PM »
The problem with the high speed horizontals is that they are extremely noisy.  If you're deaf, no problem, but anyone with normal hearing will be miserable listening to them running for long periods.  I wouldn't have on on my property.  If my neighbor had one, I'd have to sabotage it.

Thus the popularity of the low speed Lister CS engines for off grid folks who must hear the generator for long periods of time.  It's all about the quality of sound, even more than sound level.

The Honda Inverter/generator units are delightfully quiet.  I had a man camping on my property who used one behind a hill and I could not hear it. 

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 05:53:42 PM »
I bought a Laidong 1115 from John Ferguson before he sold out to Jim Calder. I have no experiance running fuels other tjsn diesel but those engines are so far above all other Chinese in quality that they exist in their own relm. They still make some racket.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 06:03:20 PM »
My ZS195 runs on old clean chip oil; got about 4 hours on it just playing about.

And there not to loud, at all, check out my video one day, not to loud and not a rough as everyone lead me to believe running a 1750 rpm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vOby0QngWw&feature=youtu.be

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 08:15:26 PM »
The problem with the high speed horizontals is that they are extremely noisy.  .....

Is that because of mechanical clatter and banging, or poor mufflers /intake  silencer ?

Tanman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 09:31:21 PM »
I just got off the phone with the chap in WI, apparently they are importing these as pellet mills. The horizontals are hooked up to a belt driven mill on a steel frame and being imported that way. How is this possible?

Here is their website: http://www.pelletmasters.com
Look under all products, pellet mills, diesel powered.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 09:32:59 PM by Tanman »
Kubota ea300
Metro 12/2

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 10:55:15 PM »
I have no idea how they are doing this. There are a couple of possibilities, the first is that the Chinese have upped their game and got EPA approval, the second is that they are being imported illegally and the EPA hasn`t noticed. It is just possible that there is some special exemption to the EPA rules for forestry or agricultural machinery.

My advice would be not to ask too many questions and take advantage while you can.

Bob

Tanman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 04:51:21 AM »
Thank you Glort, I wasn’t sure if I could run veggie oil in my vertical. My Subaru robin is a late model that is fitted with a Hatz 1B40 that uses about .8 gallons an hour of fuel under average load, what do you think the laidong's they sell over at justliveoffgrid.com are burning at the lower rpm/hp range (they say 14hp on the low end) I wouldn't mind running it around 10hp/3-4kw if that is efficient and can get me down to .5gal an hour or less?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 05:04:38 AM by Tanman »
Kubota ea300
Metro 12/2

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 08:29:55 AM »
+1 Glort.

Tanman you could spend a small fortune on engine management systems, exhaust emission sensors and the like and probably get an improvement in efficiency of around 15%, with a much less reliable engine due to the fancy electronics. You could send the head away to have it ported and fit a turbocharger, might get you another 5% efficiency and more output from the engine. If you are going to run waste oils, which cost you next to nothing, who cares? You are still much less of an environmental vandal than you would be burning regular diesel from the pumps.

If you need an engine to produce 10 horse power buy one that will do 12 or 15 and it should last you a lifetime, with regular maintenance.

Bob

Tanman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2019, 01:52:52 PM »
I dig it guys, I see the light! So here is a fun hypothetical, what would last longer/handle it better running continuously.....a Hatz 1B40 running at regular rpms or a 1115 Laidong running at reduced power 12-14 hp? (I'm thinking continuous work load 24/7 type scenario).
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 03:38:59 PM by Tanman »
Kubota ea300
Metro 12/2

Tanman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2019, 11:23:14 PM »
I like it, I'm pretty committed now I think. The guy in WI got back to me and quoted me a pretty hefty price for the diesels he has. It would be much cheaper (and a higher quality engine) I think to pick up one of the 1115's in Ontario on my next fishing trip with my dad up there. Just have it shipped to where our buddy has a cabin up there, disassemble it somewhat, and bring it in as parts.
Kubota ea300
Metro 12/2

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2019, 11:07:30 PM »
+1 what Glort said.

The Chinese 1115 engine is a beast and very reliable.
They lend themselves very well to alternative fuels like chip oil because of the Indirect Injection heads.
The injectors have a bigger injection port (one single hole usually), like a Listeroid.
If cared for, the 1115 will probably outlive the average human. Parts can still be found with relative ease.

Veggie
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

Fig

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2019, 02:57:02 PM »
I just got off the phone with the chap in WI, apparently they are importing these as pellet mills. The horizontals are hooked up to a belt driven mill on a steel frame and being imported that way. How is this possible?

Here is their website: http://www.pelletmasters.com
Look under all products, pellet mills, diesel powered.

So what were their prices on the engines alone?