Puppeteer

Author Topic: Skip (miss)  (Read 2146 times)

John (Boston)

• View Profile
Skip (miss)
« on: January 21, 2019, 06:27:44 PM »
Hello Everyone,

So the miss I had was not due to the governor hunting.  I actually got to see how the governor reacted this time.  To prep for this big storm we just got I ran the genset on Saturday.  It was in the low 30's if I recall.  It took two compression strokes to light off and away it went.

The governor hunted for a few seconds after startup and I watched the linkage.  It oscillated slowly back and forth over quite a lot of the rack travel.  I put 600 watts on it after about half a minute and she smoothed out.  After a couple minutes I increased the load to 1500 watts - ran nice and smooth.

I then reduced the dummy load and added in the "house" and let her run for about a half hour.  I happened to be right there looking things over when she missed.  It seems she missed about two consecutive power strokes.  On the first miss the governor immediately started to open the rack.  It continued opening through the second miss and then she fired.  The governor then gracefully closed the rack right back to its normal position and she was smooth again.

The head was hot enough to not want to leave your hand on it so I don't think it's a temperature issue.  I'm thinking that there might be some tiny little bubbles either getting into the fuel line or somehow still in the filter.  It was a bugger to get all the air out of that filter.

I may replace the filter with what's on my Kubota tractor.  It's smaller and has hose fittings molded right into the housing.  The only thing I don't like is that it's plastic.  This *does* allow a nice view of what's inside but now you can't heat it up if the need arises.  Well, a project for nicer weather...

-John (Boston)
Metro 6/1 (genset)
Cummins 6BT (89 Dodge truck, bought it new)
Cummins 4BT (91 Oshkosh bread truck)
Kubota D1005 (B2320 tractor)

BruceM

• View Profile
Re: Skip (miss)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 06:48:19 PM »
Good troubleshooting, air is likely your culprit.  Look for any slight weeping of fuel at the IP and fittings, also; fuel out equals air in. I had a crack in a banjo bolt that gave me trouble. 

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 07:53:39 PM »
If the engine is able to recover and the instances of "skip" are decreasing, I'd leave it alone !   I'd be worried I'd let in more air trying to do something, then curing it.   A month ago when I ran  it dry, and had to purge it all, it took a long time to clear all the air, and eventually long running did the final bits.    You may be getting some suction issues and getting air sucked in somewhere, if your fuel is too thick

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 10:38:14 PM »
I had plenty of issues with air in the system and the original Indian filter and lines. The solution was to re-machine the setup and install "O" rings as a positive seal. No problems since that.
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 10:45:51 PM »
Hey John, if the problems persist and you are getting air into the system through leaking banjo fittings, there are aluminium washers with a built in O-ring available. They are commonly used in hydraulic and air conditioning systems, they don`t leak!

Bob

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 06:21:42 AM »
"Dowty" washers I think they are called?  I have them on a couple of banjo fittings here

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 07:11:43 AM »
Invented by George Dowty, one of the last 'generalist' engineers.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Dowty

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.