Puppeteer

Author Topic: Good price?  (Read 4990 times)

BruceM

• View Profile
Re: Good price?
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2019, 02:56:19 AM »
That's called the Kruger-Dunning effect.  The strongly opinionated  idiots hugely outnumber the intelligent and thoughtful.  The idiots are always quite certain that they know best and can't be reasoned with.  All humans demonstrate Kruger-Dunning. It's not one of our best traits.

Tanman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2019, 04:34:08 AM »

[/quote]
There might be a few Young Fella's like Tanman that end up with massive toy collections because there might only be a handful of blokes like them interested in the stuff.
[/quote]

That may happen. At my last sales job in Minneapolis one of my coworkers (almost everyone there was under 30) payed me $40 to do a seafoam treatment on his jeep, then paid me $100 to install some shocks (really simple just a bolt or two on each end) I couldn't believe it. When I first brought up seafoam they thought I was talking about an app for their phone. The world is changing and I seem to have been born in the wrong generation.
Kubota ea300
Metro 12/2

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2019, 08:14:14 AM »

There might be a few Young Fella's like Tanman that end up with massive toy collections because there might only be a handful of blokes like them interested in the stuff.
[/quote]

That may happen. At my last sales job in Minneapolis one of my coworkers (almost everyone there was under 30) payed me $40 to do a seafoam treatment on his jeep, then paid me $100 to install some shocks (really simple just a bolt or two on each end) I couldn't believe it. When I first brought up seafoam they thought I was talking about an app for their phone. The world is changing and I seem to have been born in the wrong generation.
[/quote]

Tanman did that seafoam do any good?  I had a 2002 Corolla for a while with oil-control rings varnished/glazed up & it was an awful oil-burner although otherwise a good, tough, reliable Corolla.  I often thought that seafoam might loosen shit on them a bit

My daughter had it for a year or so and I used to keep an eye on the oil for her.  But one day she noticed it was a bit low and tipped in a whole five-litre pack of 15-40.  There was (apparently) a LOT of smoke & steam but she persevered with driving it until it melted, really

One way to fix it, I guess

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2019, 08:31:05 AM »
Hi Glort, the problem with the world is that there is too much dependence on money. People devote their entire lives to accumulating it, while the government try their best to steal it from them, unless they are a big corporation. A dollar bill has no value unless the people believe that the government and central bank are going to keep their promises. Not much sign of that happening in any part of the western world at present.

I have lived through a lot of recessions, in various countries. The big end of town always survives, with government support. The little guy always gets screwed and the value of the dollar in your pocket dives, unemployment rises and wages fall; all good for the big end of town.

There has to be a better way of doing things so that young men like Tanman get a fair go and don`t get screwed by this wasteful, inefficient, parasitic system.

I am very glad that I am now old and have lived in an era when money had value and politicians did their best for their constituents. Those days are over and I have grave concerns for future generations. The huge debts that this generation are leaving the next generations are a disgrace and will be a lifelong drag on their lives.

Big business will continue to sell, ever increasingly, not fit for purpose equipment to people with ever decreasing understanding of how it works. People with any technical/mechanical ability are becoming increasingly rare. If I had my, time again I would be studying engineering, electronics and water management systems.

Tanman, please keep learning, studying and improving your skills. The world is going to need people like you, it just doesn`t know it yet.

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2019, 10:31:26 AM »
Hi Glort, very worried that you are right, the sheeple have no say in things, the governments have no choice due to their debt repayment responsibilities. Big business always wants to get bigger and, in the present economic situation, are encouraged by the government.

I`m not sure that I want to be around when the sh1t hits the fan, but then again there might be some satisfaction in saying: `I told you so`, as the world goes mad and politicians get lynched.

My brother is a very wealthy London banker, everything he has ever earned is invested in the corrupt financial system, if that system ever fails he has nothing but a house in London, which would be unsaleable.

Don`t ever expect that what is the norm today to be the norm tomorrow.

Bob

Tanman

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2019, 02:33:57 PM »

Tanman did that seafoam do any good?  I had a 2002 Corolla for a while with oil-control rings varnished/glazed up & it was an awful oil-burner although otherwise a good, tough, reliable Corolla.  I often thought that seafoam might loosen shit on them a bit

My daughter had it for a year or so and I used to keep an eye on the oil for her.  But one day she noticed it was a bit low and tipped in a whole five-litre pack of 15-40.  There was (apparently) a LOT of smoke & steam but she persevered with driving it until it melted, really

One way to fix it, I guess

Mikenash, it sounds like it had too much $h!t loose. I probably would have tried one of the "engine restore" products that helps build the cylinder walls and rings back up with ceramics and other wizardry they put in the can. I've seen it work very well on low compression worn out tractors and the like. I'll be putting a can through my diesel suburban that has some miles on it soon. Seafoam isn't the best cleaner out there anymore, it doesn't have PEA in it. When they changed the gas and started putting a lot of ethanol in it the needs in a fuel additive changed. Gumout with PEA or any fuel additive with PEA should work much better than seafoam in a modern 4 stroke engine (IMO).
Kubota ea300
Metro 12/2