Puppeteer

Author Topic: Scalable Centrifuge to clean up VO  (Read 16523 times)

bitsnpieces1

• View Profile
Scalable Centrifuge to clean up VO
« on: August 02, 2006, 10:42:29 PM »
I ran across this on the Biodiesel & SVO forum today.
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/159605551/m/9751014751
 It's a homemade centrifuge that apparently does a fantsastic job of removing particles and water.
Lister Petter AC1, Listeroid 12/1, Briggs & Stratton ZZ, various US Mil. surplus engines. Crosley (American) 4cyl marine engine(26hp).

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
Re: Scalable Centrifuge to clean up VO
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 10:46:19 PM »
so fantastic there's no numbers to back anything up, just plans to buy for cash.

kinda like all those plans you used to get in the backs of magazines
--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 10:48:20 PM »
when centrifuges go bad

--
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 10:50:02 PM »
--

bitsnpieces1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 12:33:04 AM »
  I just found it today and have no idea of how well it will work.  But, it's well worth the money just to see his idea.  Please read all of the postings before you cut it to shreds.  I just thought someone might be interested enough to try it. 
  Oh and part of my former job was to run a pair of centrifuges thickening up digested biosolid sludge.  Tub type, process continuous inflow until tub full of solids,  then auto dump and restart.  Tub was about 5-6 ft high & 5-6 ft diameter (on inside).  Used something like 75 hp DC variable speed motor to turn at 5-6,000 rpm.  Solid stainless steel.  And this one sounded like it would be a whole lot safer. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 12:39:24 AM by bitsnpieces1 »
Lister Petter AC1, Listeroid 12/1, Briggs & Stratton ZZ, various US Mil. surplus engines. Crosley (American) 4cyl marine engine(26hp).

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 12:39:36 AM »
i am probably not only interested enough to purchase the plans, but i think i  live close enough to go to the horses mouth so to speak and see the thing in
operation.

if allowed to do so, i will report back how well it works, and if it looks like that sort of thing that is not only useful, buildable, but safe to operate without
taking out a bank loan to build a containment facility, complete with constantine wire, and gun towers.

i will look into it and see if i can get the plans and go see the guy

also i will protect his intellectual property rights and not tank pictures or relate with detail how it was done, at least to the extent he feels comfortable with.
i figure it this way, sub postage and handling he is only making 20 bucks or so, which aint bad, if it works, in either event he is not going to get rich selling the plans.
he seems like just the kinda guy george at utterpower is in that regard.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 12:42:31 AM »
he is about an hour and a half off my beaten path it would seem, so it might be a while
maybe first of next month before i can get there.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

ChrisS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 04:39:09 AM »
Hello,
I was a bit surprised when I read about this. The guy with the centrifuge plans happens to have been my neighbor several years ago before I moved to the midwest. I know him well and can say that whatever he is charging for the plans it will be well worth it. Bud is a genius in the shop and if he built a centrifuge you can bet it not only works extremely well but it would be very easy and simple. I can say for certain that for those of you that are close enough to stop in and see his set up it would be well worth the trip, he is a great guy to talk to.
With that said I need to call him to get my own set of plans! I haven't kept in contact much regrettably.

Chris

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 01:31:38 PM »
I have been giving serious thought to designing my own centrifugal fuel oil filter as an easier alternative to a vacuum distillation plant.  One thing I see as a design shortcoming is spinning the 'fuge inside a larger stationary containment vessel with oil in between the two surfaces.  The drag forces introduced here are totally a power waster  I'm thinking of spinning the separator in air and providing the oil I/O ports through the the central shaft.

I have also been wondering if there is any way to employ an automotive automagic transmission torque converter as the 'fuge.  These will safely handle plenty of RPM.  I'm sure one would have to open one and modify it.  Cleaning may be a problem.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

Andre Blanchard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 03:05:22 PM »
Here is a simple centrifuge Barrett made for his steam car, to separate any oil from the condensed steam before pumping the water back to the boiler.
http://www.firedragon.com/~kap/Barrett/Centrifuge1.html
Home page.
http://www.firedragon.com/~kap/Barrett/
Says drawings are available but the pic on this web page would provide a good jump on designing your own.

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2006, 06:11:41 PM »
Here is a simple centrifuge Barrett made for his steam car, to separate any oil from the condensed steam before pumping the water back to the boiler.

That is very similar to what I my own head scratching had come up with!  I was going to investigate the possibility as I mentioned above of employing a torque converter housing on a vertical axis.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

beecharmer0007

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2007, 02:36:00 AM »
HELLO , my  name is harry and the centrifuge idea sounds great,,   but i had a brain storm, has anybody ever used a cream seperator, on wvo,,  i used them of  milk and it works great,  i was wondering if it would get out  heaver stuff glycerine etc,,it seems  like it would give you a even product out,,,  i.m brand new at this  and just learning,,, and want to get into this so bad i can taste it,  i have a tractor,a truck and a jeep  that are a diesel, thanks harry

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2007, 02:56:48 AM »
Anyone seen these, real simple concept for motor oil and wvo/biodiesel?  The small one is good for about a gallon a minute and the bare unit costs around $240($290 with a universam mount base).  Of course if you are not connecting it to an engine pressurized oil system, you will need to provide the oil at the proper pressure(up to 90 PSI) and flow, and of course warm it.  Almost cheap enough to get one just to experiment:).

http://www.dieselcraft.com/productinfo_OC20.html

Ron
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

jtodd

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2007, 03:50:01 AM »
Some digging around through various threads shows that this site may have the same design as what was quoted in the first part of this thread:

http://www.simplecentrifuge.com/

They have some videos that clearly show how the process works.  Quite simple, and can be scaled up fairly quickly (though very small scale would be interesting, too.)  They have pricing and much of the kit available on their website.  Anyone crafty enough could make it themselves, though.

JT

biobill

• 'riods make good houseguests if fed right
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2007, 11:01:58 PM »
Need some input from folks that know more about these things than I do. I'd like to put one together cheap and it seems like a truck brake drum might be a good starting point for the spinning part.  I figure a safe speed (converting from 100mph) of around 1200rpm. Is this fast enough to be effective? Drum ID is about 12"
                                                        Bill
Off grid since 1990
6/1 Metro DI living in basement, cogen
6/1 Metro IDI running barn & biodiesel processer
VW 1.6 diesels all over the place
Isuzu Boxtruck, Ford Backhoe, all running on biodiesel
Needs diesel lawnmower & chainsaw