Puppeteer

Author Topic: Another shop project  (Read 18832 times)

38ac

• View Profile
Re: Another shop project
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2019, 01:38:32 PM »
A
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 01:18:04 PM by 38ac »
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2019, 01:50:55 PM »
A
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 01:18:19 PM by 38ac »

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2019, 03:34:39 PM »
The size and weight of these parts is amazing.  Thanks for showing the hot bulb details.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2019, 06:26:34 PM »
A
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 01:18:32 PM by 38ac »

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2019, 09:17:43 PM »
Fascinating, the weight of the components is frightening, this was built to last unlike most of the crap available today. I noticed that the big end bearing cap has castellated nuts, can the bearing clearance be adjusted with shims?

How in hell did they transport something this big back then? The logistics of trying to move this from the factory in Grantham UK to a port then load it on a ship to the USA, unload it and then transport it to it`s final destination terrify me. Imagine trying to unload this off a horse drawn cart with a block and tackle. It would be easy nowadays with mobile cranes and forklift trucks but back then? Wow!

Thank you so much for sharing this with us, please don`t give yourself a hernia.

Bob

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2019, 12:45:31 PM »
Bob ,
There is a surprisingly large  amount of documentation about how they were moved about and assembled. My information tells me that  this size engine is about the largest that was shipped in one piece unless it was sold local to the factory.  With the empire  being what it was back then large engines were hauled to and assembled some very remote and difficult installations. Luckily some of the men that performed the task were also fluent  writers and also took photos.  I dont have any links saved but will spend some time looking soon.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2019, 06:52:45 PM »
A
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 01:18:46 PM by 38ac »

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2019, 09:20:38 PM »
Looks like you are making great progress, first smoke can`t be far off. I can see how the piston would be well lubricated with that drip feed system but what about the little end bearing (wrist pin), is that one of the areas that need to be manually lubricated? Might be very hazardous to do while the engine is running.

Bob

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2019, 10:41:14 PM »
A
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 01:18:59 PM by 38ac »

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2019, 07:40:45 AM »
Looking good, Butch, thanks very much for taking the time to post all the small details and the general information too.

The ingenuity of Victorian engineers was almost beyond belief, after all, they weer the ones who did everything first.

Check this out, the first of several 'knock down kit' boats on Lake Titicaca.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yavari_(ship)

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2019, 08:02:55 AM »
Thanks Butch, I can just about visualize how that lubrication system could work.

How did we get to this mechanical illiteracy in only one generation? When I was growing up, I learned from my Dad. When I was old enough to drive a car, I bought service manuals and learned everything I could about the vehicles I owned. I serviced them myself and discussed any issues with local mechanics in the local pub. Weekends were spent cleaning, polishing and servicing, what do young people do nowadays?

I will never understand how the western world, with all it`s skills and technological superiority, have allowed it`s people to be seduced by the cheap, throwaway crap from China and India. Thank god for people like yourself, who keep the flag flying for quality products and high engineering standards.

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2019, 08:14:35 AM »
Hi Stef, I was wondering about how they transported Butch`s engine from the UK to the USA. The idea of building an entire ship as a kit that could be hauled by donkeys and then reassembled is mind blowing. I guess that is the definition of an engineer, identify the problems and then find a way to overcome them. I take my hat off to them.

Bob

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2019, 09:30:54 AM »
Hold on there. Bob!

I suspect that there's still a lot of 'engineers' out there, someone has to make the machines that make the 'Chinese crap'!

Given a choice between working on a farm, in a foundry or down a coal mine, a career sat in a nice warm office with a keyboard and a mouse, working with technology you grew up with, don't seem too bad an option, add in the lack of mashed fingers - or worse - and then scrubbing the dirt off at the end of the shift..........

We only repaired those Mini's, Cortinta's, etc. and the rest of them 'cos we were skint, and they were somewhere near the forward edge of engineering, at the time.

In much the same way there's guys out there today that can change the battery on an IPhone 5 or whatever, on the kitchen table.

Think about the vast increase in reliability in small cars from the time of our youth. In 50 years time, when electronic equipment goes that far up the scale of dependability, there's bound to be another generation, on a forum like this, bemoaning the lack of mechanical skills in the young and their complete reliance on the domestic robot to change light bulbs and toilet rolls.

Butch making Whitworth nuts and you and Bruce buggering about with generators, mosfets and soldering irons, will be on the same plane as bodgers, blacksmiths, wheelwrights. and the other 'generalist' engineers. Glort, veg oil and solar panels won't be in it either.

Well, unless the apocalypses we suspect is coming, actually arrives, then I hope that bloke in the kitchen has downloaded this forums WOK onto his steam powered tablet! 

Rant over, I'm off up the shed to change the exhaust on the Landy, before tomorrows snow storm sets in!

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2019, 01:04:05 PM »
This grasshopper is truly impressed.
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2019, 05:04:36 PM »
38AC's projects are a joy to follow and learn from, and this one is a beauty!  I didn't realize that hot bulb (surface ignition) was largely a Diesel patent infringement dodge.  It kinda looks like a variation on indirect injection. 

What a great project!