Author Topic: So how do you do this? (New to Listeroid)  (Read 16782 times)

hotater

• View Profile
Re: So how do you do this? (New to Listeroid)
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2006, 03:50:18 PM »
Bruss01--

The lead time on imported engines is several months and they usually come in in batches...some good and some not.  The overall quality has steadily improved and the latest engines to hit our shores are usually the best ones.

The actual footprint is  2x4 feet.  Do yourself a favor and give it PLENTY of room.  Mine is in a space about 6x10 feet and it's WAY too small to safely move around the engine and pulling a camshaft is hard work with your back against the wall.  I'm in the process of re-mounting mine in a room three times the size in open floor space AND will have a bench with a skylight over it to work on.
Give yourself room to get away from it if you have to.  A stuck starting crank or broken governor parts could be fatal in a crowded space.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2006, 04:22:57 PM »
in my opinion 4x8 is enough room to accomodate the engine and generator,, but not walk around room

there are those that would argue this point...

if it was me the minimum would be 8X10 ft, then you have at least walk around room,,,  but still going to be tight if
you wanna do major repairs on the engine in place

centered in a 12 x 14 area provides a good margin of walk around, safety, and bench area to do component repair,,
this is what i would recommend...

4x8 might work for a properly prepared engine, but not for me.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

dkwflight

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2006, 04:35:16 PM »
The the space between the engine and the wall could be used for storage as long as you can move it out when you need to work on the engine, like maybe pulling the flywheel and crank?
Good luck
Dennis
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time

bruss01

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2006, 07:46:13 PM »
Guys, guys -

I'm sorry, I guess I didn't make myself clear.  Yes, in the PERMANANENT installation, on our remote property (when we have it) it'll be permananently anchored to a very substantial base with at least three or four feet on each side to facilitate repairs and maintenance.  What I'm asking is now, in our TEMPORARY installation, what's the minimum foot print needed for one of these (with the 5kw ST) to basically sit, and run once or twice a month, and get routine attention like an oil change.  With the understanding that one side will be against a wall and the other side will be open and clear WHILE THE GENERATOR IS BEING RUN but must be usable for workspace etc. when the genny is not running. And with the further understanding that if it needs repairs that require access to the backside, the herculean chore of moving it away from the wall is an acceptable price to pay, provided it is not something that will need doing frequently.  Sorry I wasn't more descriptive about my temporary minimum footprint requirements in the last post!

I'm guessing hotater's estimate of 2' x 4' for the engine and gen head sounds about right.  Can anyone confirm that this is practical workable for a semi-permanent installation with extremely light run-time requirements?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 07:49:15 PM by bruss01 »

bitsnpieces1

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2006, 09:48:57 PM »
  hotaters suggestion should be ok for temporary.  You need enough room to crank, check/change the oil, work the decompressor/primes levers, etc.  As long as you have enough room to drag it out to work on it with all kinds of room it should be ok.  Only you can tell. 
Lister Petter AC1, Listeroid 12/1, Briggs & Stratton ZZ, various US Mil. surplus engines. Crosley (American) 4cyl marine engine(26hp).

JohnF13

• View Profile
    • woodnstuff
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2006, 05:42:43 PM »
Bruss01;

The base that I build for my 6/1-5kw setups is 48" x 17".  However, allow for 48" x 48" to clear the crankshaft extensions, then another couple of feet to walk around it safely.
John F
2 x 6/1 JKSON.  1 x 10/1 JKSON, 1 x 27hp Changfa, 1 x 28hp AG295, 1 genuine 1939 SOM, a couple of others in test mode and a Hercules Multu-fuel still in the box.

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2006, 07:22:04 PM »
whatever you do, especially if useing one of these engines in tight quarters,, don't scrimp on guards,, covers etc.

tight quarters, with narrow walkways, are an invitation to disaster, should you slip, trip or fall...

with those huge flyweels, just like a piece of cake that falls always on its icing,,,  so too will you likely slip, trip or fall into the flywheel

so build up secure guards to protect yourself.

there are reasons that osha has rules reguarding area around a piece of machinery, and guards,,, it is not to make life miserable buy to
save life and limb.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

bruss01

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2006, 10:34:58 PM »
Thanks guys for the advice.  I hear your warnings, and I don't plan to be anywhere near while it's running, only to crank it and to turn it off.  Will the crankshaft extensions go beyond the 24" footprint? Not important on the open side, but kind of important on the wall side.  Thanks again.