Puppeteer

Author Topic: Determining manufacturing year for the Lister CS  (Read 17649 times)

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
Determining manufacturing year for the Lister CS
« on: August 02, 2006, 02:09:13 PM »
My Amish Lister dealer said that to determine the year of manufacture of an English CS Lister, you take the last 2 digits of the serial number and add 52. 

Does anyone have this published from Lister?

Bob
Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

lgsracer

• View Profile

iann

• View Profile
Re: Determining manufacturing year for the Lister CS
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 06:29:10 PM »
there are casting dates on various parts of a CS. on the crank case there should be a number, single letter from A to L, then a two digit number. the first number is the day of the month, the letter is the month (A=Jan, B=Feb, L=Dec), the last two digits is the year. mine is 3L53. there is also a casting mark on the inside of one of the spokes on the flywheel. again mine is 8L53. this is just a rough dating as the engine was assembled in early 1954.

you have to thank Ken Boak for this.
1953 lister CS 6/1, lister B, Villiers XIIc, Seagull 40+ outbourd

snail

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 04:07:55 AM »
Mine has got mostly straight dates on most of the castings eg 1 flywheel, 1 cylinder.It also has 9-7-40 and 9-7-92 on both of the heads.(at least it's a matched pair!) This is obviously part of the "52" system.
Does anyone know if there was more than 1 foundry involved in making these? Did they change from one system to another? One of my flywheels had the a date plate screwed onto the casting pattern, the other has no date and no sign that anything was ever fixed to the pattern.

Just thought I'd confuse the issue! ;)

Cheers,

Brian

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 06:08:28 PM »
My Engine serial number is 302514

According to the oldengine dating pages, my SOM was build near the end of 1938!!!  Just before the war started, OMG!!!  Its the same age as my father!!!!

This is scary now
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

Doug

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 07:35:44 PM »
A good friend of mines father's ears perked up when we were talking about the Listers and Petter engines from India. Later he told me he had worked atthe factory and was suprised to hear they still built these engines. He was a little disapointed I ordered a Petter and not the CS. But here is an Realy old guy who in his words built Listers when they were considered old.

Doug

t19

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 07:57:58 PM »
He could have worked on mine!!!!

Going to start the cleaning up process today
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

Doug

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 09:44:20 PM »
I'm not sure of his age, but I don't think he is quite that old. I had the impression this might have been in the late 40's early 50s before he came to Canada ( possibly one of his first jobs ).

Doug

snail

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006, 08:57:15 AM »
Doug,
Don't let him get away! :D Nail his feet to the floor and grill him for any little snippets of information he can remember.I dunno, what kind of honing gear did they use?Anything would be welcome. I'm ashamed of how little we know when there must be hundreds of ex Lister men out there.

Cheers ,

Brian

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2006, 02:46:20 PM »
Last week-end I was talking to my ex father in law, who flew B-29s from Guam and spent some time TDY in India with B-29 crews there.  He well remembers the Listers working on the base for lights and pumps in far NE India.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

Doug

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2006, 09:30:54 PM »
Brian, tis old guy doesn't live here in the Nickel City. I see him a couple of times a year at his son's house up the road. I'm sure if i pick up a Listeroid in the near future HE will be one of the first to stop by and look, some aspects we discussed such as the taper bearing and wet liner raised an eye brow.

Doug

t19

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2006, 11:51:13 PM »
I have been pulling apart my Lister, and I'm presently working on the Air Clearner... or rather the bug screen, because that is all it would filter.  According to Guy, this is the Elephant foot version of an aircleaner.  Course it is sucking air above the lifters so there is 60-70 years of accumilated oil and dirt in there.  I will take some pictures and post them... I want to say this is a crappy way to wreck and run and engine.... then I remember this thing is nearly 70 years old, so it must have worked

snail

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2006, 01:02:37 AM »
I was wrong again...

Writ large on one of my cylinders is 8-2-44 which I took to be the casting date, but covered in crud near the water inlet is a small date plate (screwed to the pattern) which says 13-3-40.i'm alot happier now.

Cheers,

Brian

algieuk

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2006, 12:28:45 AM »
My Engine serial number is 302514

According to the oldengine dating pages, my SOM was build near the end of 1938!!!  Just before the war started, OMG!!!  Its the same age as my father!!!!

This is scary now

The serial number you have is a post 51 number when the new numbering system was introduced. The engine you have was would be the 302nd 5.1 produced in 1954.  the highest number reached under the pre 1951 system was around 97580

Unfortunatley for your father, there is no similar way to make him younger :) :)

Regards

Alan

t19

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2006, 01:05:05 AM »
So its 10 years older than me??  Kewl